Emulators- games compatibility list?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Tiffani, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Tiffani
    OP

Tiffani GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    I apologize if this has been asked before or is in the wrong place, I tried searching for this answer but I couldn't find anything I understood.
    I ordered a DSTWO cart for my 3DS XL. From what I've been able to gather these are the best emulators for the various systems.

NesDS for Nintendo
    CATSFC for Super NES
    GameYob for Game Boy and Game Boy Color
    TempGBA for Game Boy Advance
    PicodriveDS for Genesis
    NeoDS- for Neo Geo
    NitroGrafX for TurboGrafix16
    If I'm wrong on any of these, please tell me. Also, is there a Nintendo DS emulator?

The other thing I'm wondering is if there's a compatible list anywhere of games that work or don't work with any of these emulators? I googled some but they're from years ago. Is that information still applicable?

The games I'm mainly wanting to play are in the series Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior/Quest, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, other RPG's, and Super Tecmo Bowl and Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 so any way I can check compatibility would be much appreciated.

2. Codename PUMA

Codename PUMA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    I've posted a list with CASTSFC. I haven't updated it in a bit, but I have played other games and taken notes and will bump it sometime in the future. I'll take a request if there's anything specific I haven't put there.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/catsfc-game-compatibility.365912/

I've thought about doing other compatibility stuff like NES and GB, but considering those games are really limited, I'd be surprised if any of them didn't work properly. GBA compatibility lists can be found here, but IDK the age of them (they disaply different results so they probably aren't the same age).

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DSTWO_GBA_Emulator_Compatibility
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/TempGBA_Compatibility

3. Tiffani
    OP

Tiffani GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Kelton2, I'm sorry, I just wanted to ask because as I was doing research I got many conflicting answers. One guy on Yahoo answers told me that the DSTWO wouldn't work with DS games, another said that only some would work, and a third said that they should all work.

Codename PUMA, I didn't know about your CATSFC post. That's pretty awesome. Very helpful. :)
    And those GBA lists, the thing I found most confusing was some of the inconsistency in the charts.
    For instance, in the first link Advance Wars 2 is listed as "Works" while in the 2nd link it's listed as "missing text" and it says the TEMPGBA version is 1.45, which I thought was the most recent?
    In the first link, Fire Emblem (E) and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stone (E) are both listed as "Works" but in the 2nd link it says there's constant freezing during battle for both games. It also says the TEMPGBA version is Beta 12.
    I certainly don't want to complain, as I'm very grateful for the emulators, I just thought the charts were a bit confusing.
    Thanks for the help, guys. :)

4. Digitsie

Digitsie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2014
    United States
    I just got started myself last week too, with a DSCard for my 3DSXL.

To start with, have you discovered the Supercard DSTwo Megapack? It's available on the Filetrip site.

Also check the DSTwo plugin wiki here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DSTwo_Plugin for plugins to the emulators, just in case.

And if you're looking for a neo geo emulator, you'll have to remember to get neo geo converted into readable files for the DS emulator.

5. Tiffani
    OP

Tiffani GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Digitsie, Holy wow, I didn't know about that Megapack. I had found that plug-in page on the wiki but thanks for the link anyway. :)
    I'm definitely interested in that Megapack as I seen it has something that trims roms to save space. I only have a 2GB micro SD card so I might have to look into that if I'm feeling brave. :P

Kelton2, thank you for the confirmation. I guess I should know better than to trust Yahoo answers. :P

Also, quick question for anyone. Does it matter where I download the rom's? Are there any certain sites that are more trustworthy than others? Or does it not matter?

6. Tiffani
    OP

Tiffani GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the advice, Kelton2. And I'm sorry for just outright asking, I'm just very wary of viruses and stuff. I'm not very computer-savvy so I try to be very cautious.

7. Codename PUMA

Codename PUMA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    Typing the rom you want into google (like "earthbound rom" or "earthbound snes rom") usually results in the first 3-5 sites being the better places to download from. At least for easy to find stuff like most NES, SNES, GBA games, I'd think.

8. Lordjontan

Lordjontan GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Colombia
    That is not true, there are a few games that don't work on Dstwo that retrogamefan found, like The Smurfs 2 (U) or Kirby Mass Attack (E)

9. Tiffani
    OP

Tiffani GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it. :)
    And a question for you, Lordjontan. Is there a list of these DS games that don't work. I tried searching the forums here and on Google but I couldn't find anything.

10. Lordjontan

Jun 16, 2013
    Colombia
    In the official dstwo forum you can find a threat of bug reporting, where Retrogamefan and other people reported it, but sadly the team never fix it.

The link:http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-11017-1-1.html

11. Tiffani
    OP

Tiffani GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the link. :)
    I read it all and the good news is that I didn't see any game I was wanting to play on there. So hopefully things go smoothly for me.
    I do wonder why the team never addressed the problems, though?

12. Lordjontan

Jun 16, 2013
    Colombia
    They do not care.
    The last update was in 2012, now they only care about selling. The funny thing is supposed to be the best card, but some very cheap Chinese R4 clones have better compatibility