Emulating Arcade.. Keeping it Fun

Purple_Shyguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When emulating Arcade machines you sort of lose the challenge or thrill considering you have infinite continues and you aren't sinking coins into a real cabinet.

Limiting the no. of continues you can use?

I have been putting some money aside for every continue I use then when I beat the game I donate the money to charity.

Anyone have any other ways of keeping arcade emulation fun/challenging?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, I had never actually considered money as a kind of positive. Always viewed it as more of a negative/hamstring.

Challenging... I have been known to hack games to make them more challenging, to not do certain moves and generally say if I die ? times then I quit.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't use any continues ever when on Mame. Because it pretty much saves high scores these days for everything I play to beat the score instead. It usually works that if you beat the top score you've gotten a little further. Make it so that you have to remember patterns to progress rather than mashing buttons and continuing when you die. You'll get much more out of them that way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Infinite continues are only fair when the game is designed to "steal your quarters", not to be "challenging but fair". For all intents and purposes the amount of continues you have in real life is only limited by your wealth, so it's entirely artificial as far as in-game concepts are concerned. Emulation removes the wealth-related restrictions, so the only challenge you're facing is the game proper.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up