Hacking Question EMMC init failed error, need help rebuilding EMMC

charpkun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello Folks,

Hoping I can get some help. I recently have not been able to boot into my CFW switch, and discovered that I was getting an EMMC init failed error.

After some digging, it looks like my EMMC has failed and I need to rebuild. I purchased a spare EMMC part from Amazon.

Now here is the tricky part. I haven't tried to make regular backups of my EMMC. So the only one I have is from the first time I tried to install CFW. For some reason, I only backed up the rawnand.bin, but not the Boot0/1. Is there any way I can still rebuild this? I have the following:

prod.keys
title.keys
rawnand.bin
all from circa fw5.0.0 (from memory, not 100% sure)

Hoping I can get help pointed in the right direction.

Tamalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, using ChoiDuJour will generate a BOOT0 and BOOT1 that you can flash. You could also use the ones that are on the spare EMMC you've ordered. Have a look at "Upgrading/Downgrading Manually With a PC" on the Switch Homebrew Guide.

charpkun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. Stepped away from this for a few days since it was hard for me to wrap my head around this.

But upon resuming and installing the new emmc, it still gives an emmc init fail error.

Do i have a dud replacement, or perhaps something is wrong with the motherboard itself?

Ive taken a couple of photos for folks to see if visibly u have any obvious problems like bent pins and such. Would appreciate a second opinion.
IMG_20201117_103511.jpg
IMG_20201117_103459.jpg

Please note that previous, ive also had intermittent problems the sd card reader and had to replace this part as well. It often gave me error saying it is in 1 bit mode in hekate, causing it to run very slow and crash when running games

Attachments

• IMG_20201117_103618.jpg
    IMG_20201117_103618.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 199
Last edited by charpkun,

Tamalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi charpkun,
I'm no hardware expert unfortunately. I'm not spotting anything wrong on the pictures you've sent. Maybe the eMMC chip you bought is indeed broken but I've bought two from AliExpress and never had any problems.

charpkun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
reviving this thread in the hopes of getting more help

So I went ahead and bought another EMMC from a different source, alas, still the same error.

i'm now almost certain i am misidentifying the problem somehow.

if the emmc is truely broken, would it still be able to output a bootrom?

charpkun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I took a bunch of pictures of what i could generate from hekate. i have reinstalled the stock emmc, swapped out the sd card, the cfw sd, and reseated the sd card with little progress. i would be happy to share it, but I'm not sure which are proprietary and might get me in trouble. but if there is anything i can provide to help my situation further, I would be happy to share it in a private message or other means.

Tamalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by Tamalulu,

charpkun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Tamalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fixed the link. It might give us more information about the underlying hardware problem while making your switch more useful than a paper weight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.