Electric cigarettes.... thoughts?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So, I've had a few puffs on one of those electric cigarettes...

I don't smoke... but it tasted like an actual cigarette (more or less).

Are they carcenogenic? Does anyone know?

I don't really know what is in them... some type of chemicals I would imagine...

Does anyone know?

Any thoughts?

*puff* *puff*

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I read, you are basically breathing in nicotine vapors with other stuff. They're still new, so no side effects have really been well documented yet, but you are potentially at risk of nicotine poisoning and addiction by using them. Other long term effects are at this time, unknown.

Chances are, yes, they are likely to be carcinogenic to some extent.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
From what I read, you are basically breathing in nicotine vapors with other stuff. They're still new, so no side effects have really been well documented yet, but you are potentially at risk of nicotine poisoning and addiction by using them. Other long term effects are at this time, unknown.

Chances are, yes, they are likely to be carcinogenic to some extent.
Certain people get addicted to anything.

I've used one for the past month, to help me quit the ciggies. It has worked for me. Whatever shit is in them, it has got to be better than the contents of the 1000 or so cigarettes I would have smoked in that time. There's no benzene or hydrogen cyanide for starters.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Electric Cigarettes are still terrible for you, no matter what many advertisements make it out to be. You're better off ignoring them entirely.

Speaking of, I know a kid who wanted to be hardcore without the nasty side effects of cancer. In order to do this, he had his mom order him Electric Cigarettes online, which he smoked all the time (even in class). Not only did he just look like an idiot, he... well, his reaction when he learned that the cigarettes he was smoking were still harmful was priceless.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gahars said:
Speaking of, I know a kid who wanted to be hardcore without the nasty side effects of cancer. In order to do this, he had his mom order him Electric Cigarettes online, which he smoked all the time (even in class). Not only did he just look like an idiot, he... well, his reaction when he learned that the cigarettes he was smoking were still harmful was priceless.

Lol, I was just gonna say that.

Electric cigarettes just make you look like more of a retard than normal cigarettes.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Gahars said:

Electric cigarettes just make you look like more of a retard than normal cigarettes.

Ha ha, beat you to it!

Still, it is slightly more respectable than Hookah. That's not saying much, of course.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Gahars said:

Fuuuck that. It depends. If you're at a party and smoking them, then there's no problem. But if you're out in public in some weird place standing there smoking it, then yeah.

I love electric cigarettes. Taste a lot better, a lot smoother than smoking cigar or cigs, and they last a while too.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried E-cigs (vaping)......the biggest problem with them is that you generally have to purchase them online, especially if you want to get the good ones that are refillable as opposed to having to buy overpriced replacement tips all the time. Many of the ones you find in stores don't want you to know that they can be easily refilled, they let you believe that once the tip runs dry, you must buy a new tip. NOT SO. They can be refilled. If you actually buy a new tip every time they run dry, then you would not save any money over smoking real cigarettes. The reality is that only the initial gathering of all the equipment you need to refill them yourself is a little expensive, but once you get over that initial investment hump, they are MUCH cheaper and MUCH more healthy than smoking real cigarettes.

Essentially what an E-cig does is deliver nicotine via water vapor. In that tip is what they call an atomizer or cartomizer that super-heats the "e-juice" into steam and delivering the nicotine your body has become addicted to, giving you the illusion of smoking a real cigarette. While still not exactly "healthy", since you are still consuming nicotine, the primary addictive chemical that keeps you smoking, it's still MUCH better than smoking real cigarettes. No more ashes everywhere, no more fire or burn marks on clothes, carpets or furniture, no more cigarette stains on your walls and windows, no more reeking of cigarettes, no more tar filling up your lungs and you eliminate breathing in over 99% of the harmful chemicals you inhale when smoking a real cigarette. Once you fully make the switch to E-cigs, you will find your breathing will improve greatly and you will regain energy and endurance you once had before you started smoking. You may also find that you won't need to smoke as much, especially once you notice the improvement to your health.

Now of course, not smoking at all makes the most sense, but physical addiction to nicotine can be a strong thing to overcome for many people. I know myself that if I try to go cold-turkey for longer than a day, I get all anxious and short-tempered and thoroughly unbearable to be around. The only thing you can think about is cigarette, cigarette, cigarette. Frankly, it's kind of pathetic, but that's how it is for me. It has been a trend that every time I try to quit smoking, I end up actually smoking MORE cigarettes. E-cigs can not only be a healthier and far cleaner alternative to smoking real cigarettes, but can also help you eventually quit altogether since you can step down the amount of nicotine in your refills over time.

Right now, I'm still smoking real cigs, since the E-cig I have now is one of the ones bought in a brick-and-mortar store that simply cost too much to operate compared to just rolling my own real cigarettes, but I was able to go over 2 weeks without a real cigarette using the E-cig without any of the side-effects of going cold-turkey. The energy surge I experienced in just that short time was quite enlightening. I also don't smoke as many real cigarettes now as I used to before I tried vaping, which to me means that my vaping experience garnered at least a little bit of success in my quest to quit smoking altogether.

If you guys are really serious about getting away from the mess and stink and health issues of real cigarettes and want to learn more about E-cigs and the cheapest and best ways to use them, I found a really great site that is purely for discussion of E-cigs. All of your questions, concerns and links to places to get all the best equipment to start vaping can be found here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com (recommended only for people 18 and over)
The members there are friendly, helpful and understand how hard it is to quit smoking. They will bend over backwards trying to help you get into successful vaping by suggesting the best sites to get the equipment from, the best brands to use and the best prices online to get all the stuff you need to start vaping efficiently and eliminate your dependence on real cigarettes.

I don't consider this an advertisement for that site, I have no affiliation with them other than being a member there myself. It's just that when I became interested in vaping and looked around for a site to help me get started with it, that was the best site I found for that purpose. It answered ALL the questions I had about vaping. Read their stickies. Read the success stories people have had in completely quitting smoking by using E-cigs. It's definitely worth checking into if you want to protect your health and explore alternatives to smoking.

Now that I'm back to work at a real job where I have a chance to eventually have a surplus of money, as opposed to working part-time at a fast-food joint and barely surviving paycheck-to-paycheck, I plan to eventually switch over to E-cigs entirely, and maybe quit smoking completely one day, since I'm now in a position to get over that initial investment hump required to start vaping full-time without just being ripped-off at brick-and-mortar stores to do it.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I approve of them since there is no secondhand smoke and yes they are carcinogenic but only to the user, so they are not entirely harmless. It's just a hassle purchasing decent ones, the ones in the store I heard aren't very good and online is the only bet for decent vaps.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gahars said:
Electric Cigarettes are still terrible for you, no matter what many advertisements make it out to be. You're better off ignoring them entirely.

So can you elaborate ? What is so bad about them ? You sound like an asshole.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yuyuyup said:
Gahars said:

Any form of smoke is bad for you no matter what. But so is other things. Pollution, alcohol..

Personally, I find it hard to believe that they're bad for you, worse than Cigs and Cigars I mean.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
yuyuyup said:
Gahars said:

Any form of smoke is bad for you no matter what. But so is other things. Pollution, alcohol..

Personally, I find it hard to believe that they're bad for you, worse than Cigs and Cigars I mean.
They use water vapor so now the only harmful part of it is actually the chemicals they put in it.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still safer than real cigarettes though. If you are already addicted to real cigs, an E-cig is a much safer alternative. That scare-tactic article mentions a couple bad chemicals in E-cigs, which are a mere fraction of the multitudes of bad chemicals in real cigs.

I never said E-cigs were safe, only safer than real cigs.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
E-cigs are meant for people already addicted to smoking to help them cut down or quit altogether.

They aren't meant for kids to "look cool" without any side effects.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ShadowSoldier said:

Alcohol's only bad in excessive quantities.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
E-cigs are freaking awesome. I vape with an eGo ecig and I love it. I've smoked most of my life, was spending over 200 bucks a month, and had breathing problems (asthma) that required daily medication. Since I switched to electric a few months ago, I breath better, haven't used my asthma inhaler in months and feel better. They may not be perfect but they're a HELL of a lot better than smoking. They have less of an impact on your health.. much less. If you don't smoke, don't start, and if you do smoke, make the switch.

They take a few days to get used to, but there's barely any withdrawal at all. Once you transition, you won't want to go back, as cigarettes taste nasty, and vaping tastes good and give you the same feeling as smoking.

I fully recommend e-cigs to people who smoke, without reservation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-