Eh... just gonna ask... why custom FW??

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kenneth196, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Kenneth196
    OP

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Hi all. I rarely post hereand come to the forums maybe once every 2 weeks. Anyways, dumb question.. to my knowledge, custom firmwares allow you to do certian things without the use of a flashcart (and some firmwares have more or less functionality than others). If a person has Gateway, is there any use of using a custom FW?

I (personally) have a N3DS XL, 9.0 Sysnand, 9.5 Emunand, with Gateway. Just not sure if I need to join the custom firmware train or if I can just stay walking on the side of the gateway road :gba:

2. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Things you can do on cfw you can't do on n3ds gw: screen shot, debug, eshop, gba support, dsi support, full ninjahax access, plugins (like language change) and the ability to rip crt data on 6.x & 7.x carts.

Things you can do on gw you can't do on n3ds cfw: emunand & .3ds loader

lemanuel and Kenneth196 like this.
  3. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    there's also the fact that for someone without GW, CFW are a means of not having to pay and still be able to do almost the same stuff.
    of course that for someone who already owns GW, only the stuff that Ron said applies. So only someone interested in those things might be interested in having a CFW.
    It's never bad to have more than one option tho. ;)

Kenneth196 likes this.
  4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    For now the best thing is to use PASTA CFW in tandem with gateway along with ABG_FIRM patched in sysnand.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  5. StaticPain

StaticPain GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    United States
    California
    I sold my GateWay when Pasta was released... I Haven't looked back!

6. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    This applies only if you have a New 3DS though, if you have and Old 3DS use rxTools it's now open source and is sig patched.

lemanuel and Kenneth196 like this.
  7. Bonny

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Isn't it a fact, that N3DS owners need either GW or a retail copy of CN, to use any CFW at all?

8. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    only n3ds

normal 3ds gets it nice and easy. Once pasta matures a bit then its time to switch!

Bonny likes this.
  9. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Until someone can take advantage of a downgraded MSET on the New 3DS your correct you would NEED cubic Ninja for any CFW or Cubic Ninja/Zelda OOT for gateway usage (or again the mset entry point).

Bonny likes this.
  10. Bonny

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts.