Editing the bootrom header icon and description?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Ron, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Ron
    OP

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here
    With Luma's TWL patches, flashcarts shouldn't need to fake a legit header anymore to boot right? It's a small thing but I'd rather not see PIPPA FUNELL every time I boot up my card, and would like the old DS Lite era icon back.

I managed to dump the bootrom and the flash using Decrypt9, but neither Tinke nor DSBuff are willing to open them for me..

EDIT: I tried hex editing the dumped ak2i_flash.bin, but Decrypt9 someone restores the previous header.

Last edited by Ron, Jun 28, 2017
  2. flubberwurst

flubberwurst Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2017
    United States
    Ron likes this.
  3. Ron
    OP

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here
    Thank you! It works fine on my 3DSXL after flashing to the original bootloader. Still a bit perplexed as to why Decrypt9 refuses to restore my hex-edited ak2i_flash.bin file.

4. bakageta

bakageta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2016
    United States
    I haven't looked at the latest source for decrypt9, but last I saw the ak2i code wasn't really end-user ready. From what I saw, the restore feature hard coded a chunk of the Pippa Funnel bootloader. That's probably great for restoring carts while developing ntrcardhax, but less useful if you want to restore an older bootloader or tinker yourself.

You'd have to tinker with the source and build your own version to mess with what you had in mind, and I don't know that just editing the bootrom to have your own custom icon is going to fly. Be prepared to brick a cart or two, at least temporarily.

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
  6. bakageta

bakageta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2016
    United States
    Restoring the older bootloaders isn't anything new though, there wasn't any downgrade check so you just ran the update for the icon you wanted. It's been that way since before they stopped releasing bootloader updates.

Creating your own custom icon is quite a bit more challenging, though. Decrypt9 is probably the easiest starting point for applying changes to the cart, instead of reversing the official updates. I'm fairly sure Apache Thunder was messing with the source to clean it up so that restore would work with any bootloader.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Creating new icons is the second goal of that thread. If you read a little further, a devs and I are actually trying to figure out how to access the Ak2i's NAND