ROM Hack Editing sprites in NDS Rom with .bin files

Blush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I've been searching up and down for an answer to this problem and haven't found one, so I thought I would ask myself.

I'm looking to replace the main character sprites/character portraits in Harvest Moon DS: Cute, but the files in the game are all .bin, and I can't figure out what step I should take next to get into the files. I'm totally and completely new to editing games (and am not a dev at all), this is just a personal project I wanted to work on since I'm good at spriting.

Some tools I've tried are:
- Tinke
- Crystaltile2
- GBA Graphics Editor (saw someone had success using this on a different DS game, worth a shot)

And I've tried following these guides on the forum (can't post links, too new, sorry):
- GBATemp ROM hacking documentation project (new 2016 edition out) by FAST6191
- The Ultimate Nintendo DS ROM Hacking Guide! by GuardianSoul

But I don't see much on how to overcome the .bin issue and both seem to assume the files in the rom are stored in some other file type. From comments, it sounds like .bin files can be anything, so they're kind of tricky to work with. Any advice or ideas on what I can try next? Or is this project maybe out of my scope with no idea what I'm doing? Thanks!

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe this link will be useful - here
I didn't obtain good enough result, however for some files it showed up when I used 4bpp reversed order, and grid with 4 columns wide. Another tip for using TM is Navigate -> Go to -> Relative (set 1). and hit F5 till whole scrambled image get into a complete sprite(32x32). (once per 16 cycle). In arm9.bin is much more sprites.
Harder is to find a proper palette.

Last edited by plasturion,
Reactions: Blush

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: