ebay's having a sale on 2tb seagate portable harddrive.

Drink the Bleach

This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Amazon
>Reliable reviews
:rofl2:
"I'm gonna trust 1000 idiots rather than people who know what they're talking about!"

Here's a nice graph showing the survival rate of 3 different HDDs over the course of 3 years. After the first Seagate does ok....and then shits out after about 1.5.
I didn't say reliable reviews. What the reviews say means nothing. Its the metadata. The more ratings, the less significant each rating is worth, the less significant the review, the more significant the overall review. Did you not even try searching seagate on Amazon and compare how the metadata of Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB stacks up against other Seagate products or even other brands? It can't be coincidence that the rating ratio is signifigantly more positive for the Backup Plus than it is for other Seagate products. You're judging a specific product you've likely never used be before just by brandname alone. Thats no different than someone thinking nothing but negative thoughts towards a company like Nintendo cause you heard their games are kiddy. or arent very good. So that because Seagate is Seagate, they're somehow not capable of putting out atleast a few competent products? or by contrast Western Digital is Western Digital and in turn aren't capable of making a few shitty products?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say reliable reviews. What the reviews say means nothing. Its the metadata. The more ratings, the less significant each rating is worth, the less significant the review, the more significant the overall review. Did you not even try searching seagate on Amazon and compare how the metadata of Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB stacks up against other Seagate products or even other brands? It can't be coincidence that the rating ratio is signifigantly more positive for the Backup Plus than it is for other Seagate products. You're judging a specific product you've likely never used be before just by brandname alone. Thats no different than someone thinking nothing but negative thoughts towards a company like Nintendo cause you heard their games are kiddy. or arent very good. So that because Seagate is Seagate, they're somehow not capable of putting out atleast a few competent products? or by contrast Western Digital is Western Digital and in turn aren't capable of making a few shitty products?

Did you do any kind of research other than "OH GOSH AMAZON HAS 5 STARS 10/10 BEST DRIVE EVER"?

A). These "Backup plus" drives aren't anything special. They use the same pile of shit Seagate Green drives in their "backup plus" externals (go look at a teardown of the things), the drives which have the highest fail rate after the three year study.
B). Coincidentally enough, a majority of the reviews on Amazon that claim "OH NEVER FAILED ON ME EVER I THREW IT AT A WALL AND IT'S OK 10/10" haven't ever passed the year mark of when they end up failing (for the most part). I see 1 in the top 100 or so that claims it's been used more than a year. Woooooooooooah!
C). Yes, I am going to assume everything Seagate makes is shit because I've yet to get any Seagate that wasn't shit. I'm not going to keep going to the same ice cream parlor that continually serves me shit because "LOL THIS NEW FLAVOR IS PRETTY OK ACCORDING TO PEOPLE WHO'VE NEVER EATEN ICE CREAM!" :rolleyes:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Considering the fact that hard drives are modular as far as assembly is concerned, it doesn't matter how many shitty platters you put inside the drive if the platters themselves are shitty. As far as the logic board is concerned, if the "engineers" made one terrible one, chances are that they're just shit at making logic boards that work - true fact. If that state of matters changes then we'll no doubt see a saviour among the new products, but that has yet to happen. So far Seagate is known for crap hard drives and that's the status quo - you can argue with subjective opinions on Amazon, you can't argue with long-term scientific studies and benchmarks.

Drink the Bleach

This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you do any kind of research other than "OH GOSH AMAZON HAS 5 STARS 10/10 BEST DRIVE EVER"?

A). These "Backup plus" drives aren't anything special. They use the same pile of shit Seagate Green drives in their "backup plus" externals (go look at a teardown of the things), the drives which have the highest fail rate after the three year study.
B). Coincidentally enough, a majority of the reviews on Amazon that claim "OH NEVER FAILED ON ME EVER I THREW IT AT A WALL AND IT'S OK 10/10" haven't ever passed the year mark of when they end up failing (for the most part). I see 1 in the top 100 or so that claims it's been used more than a year. Woooooooooooah!
C). Yes, I am going to assume everything Seagate makes is shit because I've yet to get any Seagate that wasn't shit. I'm not going to keep going to the same ice cream parlor that continually serves me shit because "LOL THIS NEW FLAVOR IS PRETTY OK ACCORDING TO PEOPLE WHO'VE NEVER EATEN ICE CREAM!" :rolleyes:
Then Western Digital is the worst brand in the world because its the brand ive had the most problems with? But you're getting waaaaay to serious and passionate about this to prove some point. Calm down dude, its not that big of a deal.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm the luckiest fucking person in the world then, my 500gb seagate is working fine that ive had for 4+ years using for wii backups and the like. And my 1tb one is fine too though i haven't had it that long, maybe over a year which as Tom said isn't enough to say "IT STILL WORKS!!!"

I had no idea about the "bad brand" thing attached to seagate but eh. It's coincidence that I happen to own two of them, not brand loyalty. But if it's cheap internals being used, then there's nothing else to say, it's fact. I just don't think it's that bad.

Reactions: CompassNorth

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

and this is tom, he just bombed a dildo

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Seagate hard drive has been going strong for 5 years now, had no idea people disliked the brand so much.
Can't say the same about my WD drives though.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You probably never checked the drive's health or performance. Then again, if it's 5 then perhaps it's from the not-so-butts line of drives, contemporary ones suck ass. Seagate *used to* be good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.