EA has been hacked, suffering a data breach and stolen source code

XIZ5fkZ.png

Just shortly before Summer Games Fest began, Electronic Arts confirmed to a reporter at Vice that the company had been recently hacked, with an unidentified person or group stealing about 780GB of data from the publisher. The hacker responsible then took to a webforum, listing the contents of the data breach for sale, including the source code for FIFA 21, FIFA 22's debug tools, the entire source code for EA's Frostbite engine, certain private SDK and API keys, and more.

Source Code Sale Listing said:
We sell the FIFA 21 full src code and tools

debug tools, SDK And api keys
FIFA 21 matchmaking server
FIFA 22 api keys and some SDK & debugging tools
FrostBite src code & debug tools
Many proprietary EA games frameworks & SDKs
XBOX & SONY private SDK & api key
XB PS & EA pfx & crt with key (currently used)

You have full capability of exploiting on all ea services

Total dump = 780 GB

The breach apparently took place on June 6th, and utilized some form of "intrusion into [EA's| network". According to them, no data related to their customers or players was accessed or is at risk. They're also currently working with the Presque Isle Police Department in order to find out the person responsible. This is the continuation of a streak of data breaches affecting major game publishers, with Nintendo, Capcom, and most recently, CD Projekt Red all falling victim to them.

EA's Official Response said:
An amount of game source code and related tools were stolen. No player data was accessed, and we have no reason to believe there is any risk to player privacy. Following the incident, we’ve already made security improvements and do not expect an impact on our games or our business. We are actively working with law enforcement officials and other experts as part of this ongoing criminal investigation.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Cool, does he really like the job though?

EA is the only company releasing full games at decent prices.

When you realize bf1 and bfV are the same game but bf1 was pretty much a full price beta of bfV, and used wwi as the excuse for the shitty weapons (hit detection) and controls

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Cool, does he really like the job though?
Not lately... Nvidia comes with a shitload of convoluted politics involved, and engineers that don't agree on shit between here and the Santa Clara branch in California. And now that all the manufacturing moved to China, they've primarily been working on the A.I. hardware and software over here in the States. He's getting burnt out from his job and wants to retire soon, but if he can just hold out 5 more years, he gets his full benefits package upon retiring. My mom has been having a lot of health issues lately, and he feels like everything is now on his shoulders, and it's really breaking him. He never gets any down time to chill and relax. If he's not working, he's taking care of my mom. If not that, he's doing yard work. If not that, he's working from home on a laptop in zoom calls. He really can't catch a break lately. I've been going over there into Oregon to help him out with my mom though. Mom has been having seizures here and there, and has developed a photo-sensitivity to certain lights like fluorescent and LED lights. I already lost my brother last year in a car crash because he had a seizure behind the wheel, so this has me a bit freaked out. I just hope we can push through until they can both retire, and then there won't be such a burden of having to work looming over my parent's heads and I'll be able to help them out a bit more.

D

Deleted User

when the power of VPN kicks in they will find no suspects.
wonder when Governments will see VPNs as an international risk (or whatever) and consider banning those.
Not that I would want that, I am an always-VPN-on user myself.

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nice! I always wish some day a bigger company buyout EA and kicks all the EA higher ups out of the company and make EA great again.

Last edited by 1c4rus,

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
wonder when Governments will see VPNs as an international risk (or whatever) and consider banning those.
Not that I would want that, I am an always-VPN-on user myself.
If we're talking about banning it for ordinary users, then some countries already attempt that, but with little success due to specifics of technology itself.

Otherwise, all sorts of businesses, government structures and military organizations rely on VPNs a lot, so it's a "necessary evil" for them.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i dont think anyone cares for fifa21 source code, fifa fans dont do much modding, they just jump to the next instalament.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Frostbit.hmmm Interesting

somebody in EA HQ is like how can we add a DLC to this data breach...

Wait until they offer them hackers lootboxes
"With a 0.00001% chance of a super legendary rare picture of my familiy's dog"

yes but now we can mod Messi into Smash and Mario Kart!!1
I hoped you'd said "Nessi".
Nessi is a kinda cute plush.

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

i dont think anyone cares for fifa21 source code, fifa fans dont do much modding, they just jump to the next instalament.
yeah but people could datamine now to see what the real lootbox odds are so they can provide it as extra evidence for the lootbox = gambling fight that EA has been a part of for like 3 years now at least

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yes but now we can mod Messi into Smash and Mario Kart!!1
you could always do that, its not hard to rip a model from any game tbh...

yeah but people could datamine now to see what the real lootbox odds are so they can provide it as extra evidence for the lootbox = gambling fight that EA has been a part of for like 3 years now at least
whatever you find there serves for nothing, first you cant even make sure that is the latest release since games get patches constantly and second its illegal obtained proves which means zero to actual law processes, heck for all we know they can change whatever they want before leaking it and you would never know since you have no idea what the original even has.

It's just too bad they went after useless FIFA code instead of cooler games.
yeah of all ea games fifa is the most useless thing to leak sourcecodes, no one wants to port fifa 21 to other places because in afew months you get fifa 22 and next year fif23 and so on, so it kinda is useless to have a yearly game sorce code since the fanbase just moves every year to the next installement, if they leaked source code for games like the star wars ips they have been doing and such that would be a diferent story becuase lots of people would want to port that game to other platforms in the future and so on.

but fifa? meh no one cares since the next one is around the corner, heck if i was ea i wouldnt even care they have the source code for an yarly release game, let them have it and move on.

D

Deleted User

If the last Resident Evil Copyright Lawsuit is anything to go by, there is always the chance that, outside of just Source Codes, there are lazy Assets there that can lead to some Artist making it rich from unclaimed use.

A few years back, I would be hoping against hope that they find proof FIFA has PES Assets in there somehow, but nowadays I'm not sure PES is the same Franchise I remember.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is where I'd put the gif of "i fail to see where that is my problem," with regards to EA.

Does EA seriously expect us to actually hold any empathy towards it at this time? At all?

The same EA that has been a scourge in the industry for so long? The same EA that routinely buys up smaller studios to kill them off by giving them impossible demands and dissolving them when said subsidiary predictably can't meet their lunatic demands? The same EA that assumed every star wars fan was going to pony up (with blessed RNG) $2100+ to unlock allthe characters in loot box 2? The same EA that, only allowed JFO to exist because they were cynically going to shove record breaking amounts of pay2win in a $60 game? The same EA that, allowed and sponsored the toxic environment that allowed Anthem to happen, and is guaranteed to dissolve bioware at the next immediate opportunity? The same EA ran by, what can only be described as the only sentient more robotic than Zuckerberg and everyone at Google, and has out and out expressed contempt and hatred towards single player games in general?

Yeah, no. EA didn't just burn its bridges; it thanos snapped them out of existence ,along with the resources to make another.

Now, this is the point where I'm inclined to lounge back, and point and laugh. Why? Because guarantee you, that EA will learn absolutely nothing from this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.