EA has been hacked, suffering a data breach and stolen source code

XIZ5fkZ.png

Just shortly before Summer Games Fest began, Electronic Arts confirmed to a reporter at Vice that the company had been recently hacked, with an unidentified person or group stealing about 780GB of data from the publisher. The hacker responsible then took to a webforum, listing the contents of the data breach for sale, including the source code for FIFA 21, FIFA 22's debug tools, the entire source code for EA's Frostbite engine, certain private SDK and API keys, and more.

Source Code Sale Listing said:
We sell the FIFA 21 full src code and tools

debug tools, SDK And api keys
FIFA 21 matchmaking server
FIFA 22 api keys and some SDK & debugging tools
FrostBite src code & debug tools
Many proprietary EA games frameworks & SDKs
XBOX & SONY private SDK & api key
XB PS & EA pfx & crt with key (currently used)

You have full capability of exploiting on all ea services

Total dump = 780 GB

The breach apparently took place on June 6th, and utilized some form of "intrusion into [EA's| network". According to them, no data related to their customers or players was accessed or is at risk. They're also currently working with the Presque Isle Police Department in order to find out the person responsible. This is the continuation of a streak of data breaches affecting major game publishers, with Nintendo, Capcom, and most recently, CD Projekt Red all falling victim to them.

EA's Official Response said:
An amount of game source code and related tools were stolen. No player data was accessed, and we have no reason to believe there is any risk to player privacy. Following the incident, we’ve already made security improvements and do not expect an impact on our games or our business. We are actively working with law enforcement officials and other experts as part of this ongoing criminal investigation.

:arrow: Source

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should sell it back to EA piece by piece as DLC.
that'll teach those greedy bastards

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Frostbite always had very impressive physics, putting the likes of Havoc to shame. The Battlefield series was probably the first to enable players to just level a building down to the ground, with each piece being separate from the whole and interactive. Developers obviously wouldn't use stolen snippets of code, but many would love to take a peek under the hood to see how such an engine even works, and perhaps implement similar solutions in their own work. It's not necessarily ethical to do so, buuuut... the source is out there, and somebody's going to buy it. :P With that said, if such a transaction was to take place and the word got out, it'd be the death knell to any company, so chances are that if anyone's going to buy it, it'll be EA themselves.
funny thing is these "Hacker ebay" auctions are just a rouse to throw the feds off no unethical hacker is that stupid to walk right into the hands of the FBI that listing is fake the real dealings are in person where rats are vulnerable (you cant put a bullet in the brain through a computer you know)

Last edited by chrisrlink,
Reactions: Xzi

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imagine gaining unfettered access to EA's servers and then you blow time downloading FIFA 21 lmaooooo

cool to see a leak but the only thing of value here are probably the xbox + sony private api keys

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I generally approve of source code getting out there, however I do have to wonder if I feel into some weird alternate universe where security is at 1990s levels for all these to keep happening where we had very little before a few years back beyond the odd snippet of SDK.
Granted with all the lost source code I am sure some companies would thank them but that is a different matter.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
here's hoping there is a lot more archival grade materials similar to the Nintendo leaks where we got betas of Snes era games etc, can't really think of many EA games worth having the source code to, but it would be more interesting than the source code to any of the Fifa games, can we at least get an original recording of E....A.....SPORTS....its in the game :P

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe we can get a EA source Engine , like steam did after they got hacked ... what 18 years ago or so

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
At least your dad still works at Nintendo though, right?
Pssht I’ll have you know it’s his uncle that works for Nintendo

His dad probably worked for another company on a super super secret project guys but the company closed down so we’ll never hear about it

Reactions: Xzi

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd feel bad, but then again it's EA, so fuck them. They can buy the data back... As DLC!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Pssht I’ll have you know it’s his uncle that works for Nintendo

His dad probably worked for another company on a super super secret project guys but the company closed down so we’ll never hear about it
My stepdad actually works for Nvidia Labs here in Oregon, does that count?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...