DVD burner care

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by moodswinger, Jan 15, 2011.

Jan 15, 2011

DVD burner care by moodswinger at 5:55 AM (637 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. moodswinger
    OP

Member moodswinger GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Many of my friends' DVD burners(burning function, but able to read DVDs/CDs) on their PCs is the first one to go kaput. Can you gimme any advice on how to make mine last longer?

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    dont leave it open, thats about it

you can replace it for $20 so it not that big of a deal

3. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

importantly do not put on him a cup of coffee

4. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Ability to read usually erodes in my experience long before ability to burn.

Sounds like you bought the wrong drive in the first place.

There ARE wrong purchases out there. I have a burner in my laptop for instance. Came with the laptop. I won't be using it to burn anything important.

Sadly my good burner in the PC is failing slowly. Well mostly the load and eject drive seems damaged. Burns just fine, reads ok. I just need to use a pin to prod out the drive for the most part.

But when I bought it, it was the acknowledged darling of the disc burning world. It was THE right brand and model to buy, as IT would burn anything at that time.

Today a blueray drive will likely make it eat dust.

Considering common no frills burner drives cost so little, if yours is not working, the right choice might be to just treat yourself to a new one.

They cost less than most schlock bargain bin games now.

As for extending the lifespan of drives, don't use them.
    If you have a game disc, use a drive emulator and then run a pretend image of the disc in a pretend drive and spare your drive the need to be running.
    I NEVER use discs that need to be in the drive and running constantly. And as a result, my computer gets replaced long before the drive dies on me.