Dumping Wii U NAND via SD card adapter

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by pelago, Nov 7, 2013.

1. pelago
    OP

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    jammybudga777 likes this.
  2. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013

definatly an interesting theory. would be interesting to find out

3. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    I've started a thread with more links and nobody cared. Maybe because it is somebody else this may get attention. Don't hold your breath though;-)

migles likes this.
  4. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Appearantly this has been done before.

5. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Really ? Instruction ?

6. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    3DS uses eMMC, that's why you can do that. As long as the WiiU uses eMMC too, you can do that.

jammybudga777 likes this.
  7. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    It does use emmc. My thread had many links and diagrams. No tri wing screwdriver so I wanted to see if people had or would try it...like the 3ds.

migles likes this.
  8. Spzjulien

Spzjulien GBAtemp Regular

Sep 8, 2012
    France
    where is your thread ?

9. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Good job necro bumping Ray Lewis's signature

Adr990 and celcodioc like this.
  10. cory1492

cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2005
    Canada
    Home, WhereElse?
    ahaha... if Ray's profile wasn't private and I had signatures turned on (or the inclination to turn them back on and make this place look more Akhibara street sign again)

I believe this is the link this thread is discussing... if not someone who can see the sigs will surely correct me
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-emmc-nand-read-write-read-before-flaming.355678/

pelago, cearp and migles like this.
  11. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Yes, that is the one. I referenced this in the current Wii U hacking threads. As you can see there are links with a lot of information. I don't have the ability to open my Wii U and don't want to brick so I hoped knowledgeable people would try and comment. Maybe they could offer a guide? Nobody was interested at the time I made that thread and perhaps it is relevant now. Revert to beat Nintendo and go back to a vulnerable firmware and recover if more involved methods of exploring are utilized. Comex bricked without modifying anything!!!! Edit; ts, please add the links from my old thread here.

12. mixelpixx

mixelpixx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2014
    United States
    y0uR m0mz b0x
    What is the part number on the Wii U Nand? anyone know it off hand. I have a ton of chip programmers, and if needed i can probably build one to read from the nand.. just need to know where to start messin.

13. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
  14. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    If I have read correctly, you need to read 2 NANDs. Both the one in orange here:
    [​IMG]
    ...and the one in black here:
    [​IMG]
    Pics taken from ifixit.

15. mixelpixx

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2014
    United States
    y0uR m0mz b0x
    Samsung KLM8G2FE3B eMMC 8 GB NAND Flash/Memory Controller (8GB and 32GB flavors)
    and
    Samsung K9K8G08U1D 4 Gb (512 MB) NAND Flash

i see five resistors and a cap on the top side near nand. possibly JTAG point, 1cap and 5 resistors. See some similar spots on back near the other nand. One has to be SYSTEM, and the other is probably storage. The K9K part has leads on it, and in most designs that would be what holds the system operating flash code.

Same chips were used in Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 , and reflashing and reading / writing has already been accomplished. Looks like i can only find a few pieces of hardware for sale to dump them, but it is done via JTAG, so if the points can be found for proper JTAG connection it should be easy (easy enough).

Would be nice to be able to use the PPC to dump all of it.

Has anyone done any probing? found any serial communication / uart ports?

pelago likes this.
  16. mixelpixx

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2014
    United States
    y0uR m0mz b0x
    And without measuring looks like the 2 nands are almost on top of each other on opposite side of PCB. Wonder if they use same lines/connections and there is pass through, maybe a space saving technique? Wish I had an XRAY

So before i get totally loaded for bear, and piss money into the wind. Anyone else want to (and able) to work on this approach together?

17. mixelpixx

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2014
    United States
    y0uR m0mz b0x
    How to find the JTAG port? I am thinking since the data lines [7-0] all have 50Kohm res on them, the JTAG lines would probably have 100 to 330 Ohm res on them close to the nand as possible.

*Note: Just probing with a meter can be misleading, resistors and capacitors in circuit will measure different, maybe, if they are in parallel or series. And there is also "in circuit" cap and res to consider.

* should I start a new thread for this? realize i am kinda hijacking a thread on dumping to an SD Card..?

18. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    yea probable better to start a new thread tbh

19. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    nah, we have enough threads as it is, and it's relevant to the topic, keep it here.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  20. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Well it could be possible, I prefer wait to homebrew NAND dump, because that could be risky and you need a 32GB or 64GB SD Card to dump all the NAND of Wii U (the basic owners have only 8GB so it's easier), if we have a Wii U NAND Dumper, I hope it bring USB support to dumping the 32GB NAND because I don't have a very big SD card...