Gaming Dumping Pokemon HG/SS Save

neonix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I know the save file is a little different in Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, so the tools I've used (SavSender and NDS Backup Tool 3in1) to try and dump the save from my retail cart won't work because they don't know how to read the save.

I found an old thread on some random forum with no solutions, and a thread here from before the games were actually released. That thread went way off-topic and the problem was never solved.

The best solution was this ripoff: http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...lus-p-3018.html
I would never pay $30 for a device with one function that can be done with a cheapo flashcart.

So, does anyone know if there is a new or updated tool/method to dump the save file from these games?

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There've been no updates to any of the backup homebrew tools yet, no. And this is the wrong section for this question. If you'd bothered to look in the "ROM Hacking & Translation" section, you'd see that there've already been numerous topics started on this topic, and so far the answer has always been the same.

neonix said:
The best solution was this ripoff: http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...lus-p-3018.html
I would never pay $30 for a device with one function that can be done with a cheapo flashcart.

As you've pointed out with in your own post, this device does have a function that currently can't be done with a flashcart... namely, backing up Hg/Ss saves. If this is something you really want to do, your choices are to pay the $30 or just wait to see if someone releases an update to Rudolph's tools or a brand-new tool. There's no guarantee the latter is going to be done quickly.

neonix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. That original thread I linked to was in this forum, and in the 11 pages of it, no one pointed out that it was in the wrong forum. And save dumping isn't really rom hacking, so I didn't think to check that forum. So my apologies again. Thanks for your response.

Anyway, I found the homebrew Savhax, which supposedly can dump the save. So I will be trying that out.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
neonix said:
Anyway, I found the homebrew Savhax, which supposedly can dump the save. So I will be trying that out.

I have seen that posted, but only once, and never any confirmation whether it actually works or not (and no mention of it if can restore saves, at all)... plus I hadn't heard of it before, so I'd be wary of using it personally. I guess there's nothing to lose if you don't want to buy the NDS Adapter Plus, though. I doubt there'll be a real rush put on updating Rudolph's tools.

neonix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the readme says you have to power off and on very quickly and some other stuff, but in the end it doesn't seem to work. Oh well. The magic conch shell is telling me to do nothing, so I'll just sit and wait. Thanks for your help.

Atashi

Out of the Loop
Trophies
Website
planetstephanie.net
XP
Country
Canada
If you don't mind some soldering, you could always crack the cartridge open and add a single wire jumper. Then the normal save copy tools should work just fine.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=215641

The issue isn't that the save file with SS / HG is different -- it isn't -- but rather that the commands to access the save file are different as it has to go through the microcontroller.

-Atashi

neonix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw your thread a little while ago Atashi; it's where I found Savhax. That's a really good find by the way. I don't mind soldering, but I do mind cracking it open, lol. At least for now.

Anyway, I noticed in your thread, you were thinking about putting a switch on the cart, if you could find one small enough. This switch may be of interest to you: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=3020764

I have one of those on hand and it's the exact thickness of a DS cartridge. It seems it might just fit right in if you cut a hole at the top of the cartridge. I'm interested to see the results if you do end up putting the switch on like that. If it works for you, maybe I'll grow the courage to follow your footsteps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16