If you want you can use your Wiimote Gun to play Duck Hunt.​
7Zp5c8U.jpg

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You're not really missing out, though...

The problem with this Virtual Console title is that it's not accurate. Because the NES Zapper used a photoreceptor and CRTs had no measurable lag, you could just aim and shoot with very high accuracy. That's why the screen flashed a white color box when you took a shot. In this Virtual Console version, you essentially "drag" the crosshair (visible or not) because it relies on the Wiimote and is measured at an angle vs. measured in space. It's also why you lose calibration, breaking the game. Since the screen doesn't flash at all, even for the purpose of an effect, the game feels bland and becomes dull after a few plays.

Verdict: it's fun for the nostalgia. You can play pretty well up to round 20-30 in Game B mode. That's not good, considering I was able to go up to round 90 and above with the NES on my old CRT. :(

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

The problem with this Virtual Console title is that it's not accurate. Because the NES Zapper used a photoreceptor and CRTs had no measurable lag, you could just aim and shoot with very high accuracy. That's why the screen flashed a white color box when you took a shot. In this Virtual Console version, you essentially "drag" the crosshair (visible or not) because it relies on the Wiimote and is measured at an angle vs. measured in space. It's also why you lose calibration, breaking the game. Since the screen doesn't flash at all, even for the purpose of an effect, the game feels bland and becomes dull after a few plays.

Verdict: it's fun for the nostalgia. You can play pretty well up to round 20-30 in Game B mode. That's not good, considering I was able to go up to round 90 and above with the NES on my old CRT. :(

Oh dammit. :(

I was planning on purchasing it today but guess I'll just go with Child of Light instead.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
A better choice, I think. All flaws considered the Virtual Console version is still fun, but the technical issues aside I'm most annoyed by the muted colors. Seems to be a problem with all NES VC games, though. :(

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country

Firstly, nice summary of the game and its problems.

Secondly, i like how Nintendo have seemingly tried to fix the obvious problems with this game by including the crosshair and even giving the option to switch it off but once again i find myself hating the price-tags they put on games like this. This is currently £3.50 in the UK and that is just ridiculous for a game that was released 30 years ago.

Also maybe its me but even when you ignore the "aiming" problems of the new game, i still think the original looks better:

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Firstly, nice summary of the game and its problems.

Secondly, i like how Nintendo have seemingly tried to fix the obvious problems with this game by including the crosshair and even giving the option to switch it off but once again i find myself hating the price-tags they put on games like this. This is currently £3.50 in the UK and that is just ridiculous for a game that was released 30 years ago.

Also maybe its me but even when you ignore the "aiming" problems of the new game, i still think the original looks better:

The original definitely looks to be the better version of the two.

Besides, Smash Wii U already has a playable Duck Hunt game included so I'll skip this after reading that the VC edition isn't really all that good.

zlCfzStd-UAz61HJCD
zlCfzStd_cQJkbCsv2

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason the screen doesn't flash is to protect those with epilepsy, strobe effects/certain patterns can trigger an epileptic attack. If people want the flash/strobe, use an emulator on the Wii.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The reason the screen doesn't flash is to protect those with epilepsy, strobe effects/certain patterns can trigger an epileptic attack. If people want the flash/strobe, use an emulator on the Wii.

Because everything else Nintendo does can't induce epilepsy...

(I'm counting at least half of the final smashes being very disturbing with strobing lights and effects...)

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
In Soviet Russia...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because everything else Nintendo does can't induce epilepsy...

(I'm counting at least half of the final smashes being very disturbing with strobing lights and effects...)

Well, all their VC games have strobe effects removed/toned down. Earthbound is a good example, such as the move PSI Starstorm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.