Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Taiwan
b0030122_14553129.jpg

The 3rd of July, a time ago.
Released DSvision to Japan. The DS card is like a Flashcard for MicroSD cards.
In the DS case is a MicroSD card reader by AM3, the DS vision and a case with a microSD card.

b0030122_23362483.jpg
b0030122_23365151.jpg

On the original website you can buy (in yen) little movies I think and books for DS.
It looks great the US and EU version is TBA.

b0030122_14554590.jpg

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't see this as being beneficial to ANYONE.

Firstly, you have us pirates. We won't touch this with a ten-foot pole. It doesn't play ROMs (though that may be hacked in the future) so it's useless to us.

Most regular people (peeps that actually BUY games) likely won't bother with this because they will see it and either think it's a pirate cart (OH! NO!
ohmy.gif
) or that what it offers isn't isn't really clear enough to bother.

I imagine there will be some people who will buy it thinking it's a pirate cart and GBAtemp will be flooded with more confused noobs asking why they can't get Mario Super Cutesy 12 working on their DSVision.
rolleyes.gif

But we live in a very diverse world, undoubtedly there will be people that think this is actually useful for something.....what I don't know, but I'm sure some people will think it's special somehow.

Personally, I see this as a bad move for Nintendo. They're going to glorify flashcarts with their own version of one, meanwhile the DSVision will remove ALL the most useful functionality of a traditional flashcart. To me, the DSVision just screams lameness.

dry.gif

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i think this would've been much more welcome if it was made before all the DS flashcarts where invented.
the only problem with it really is that every thing it can do can already be done with a flashcart.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can understand that Nintendo are trying to reduce the current stronghold the flash-cart market has, but when you think about it, releasing their own flash-cart is only going to spread news of these illegal flash carts that work so much better than your friends silly DSVision.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hankchill said:
OSW said:
it's be nice if someone dumps it. then we could look into hacking it.

Why? It would be useless. Plus how would you hack the ROM on the chip? Gonna desolder it and reprogram it yourself?
tongue.gif
hacking the DSvision on the dsvision cart probably wouldn't work.
but it might be interesting to have a hacked version on your flashcard so you have another option for media playing.
especially since it supports a media format unofficial flashcarts don't support.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
thats what i mean. dump the firmware, hack FAT access to existing flashcards.
or attempt to utilize the media codecs or something.

of course it's just wishful thinking from a non-hacker, but i'm no noob wanting DSVision to run commercial roms or nothing LOL
tongue.gif

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this was brought to the attention of the forums way back in Nov/Dec 2007.

IIRC the press release mentioned selling movies, books, and music.

[EDIT]
...and I would not be at all surprised to see this doing EXTREMELY well in Japan, and flopping elsewhere...

Might be a good idea if they added in small games too, maybe even allow users to sell their own games through DSVision, which might actually make it popular elsewhere as well... sharewareish...
[/EDIT]

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Rayder said:
Firstly, you have us pirates. We won't touch this with a ten-foot pole. It doesn't play ROMs (though that may be hacked in the future) so it's useless to us.
Well... directly, yes. But this thing might have a better video codec than DPG, and with some hacks, I'm sure we could get it to work with DLDI. It probably shouldn't be hard to encode our own videos to work on it either (unless that's already possible?).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither