imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what's the purpose for that [Caiman Video Codec], if its made for people with flashcarts? Afterall, most people get flashcarts for free homebrew--i wouldn't imagine ppl paying for it.
Having anything commerical for flashcarts seems like it cancels itself out. O.o
or am i missing something here?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this release, all you have to do is drag and drop your video file onto the encoder's *.exe file. If you want advanced options you'll need to launch it from the command-line with the various arguments set.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@imgod22222 the same people also made a GBA codec ( http://www.caimans.net/gbavideo/ ), I believe the aimed at the commercial market much like RAD tools.
Oh and thanks MaHe I was trying to remember that the other day.

You might be able to mess around with RAD tools and insert it into a game that uses it (a fair few do), I have still yet to get around to it but it should not be that hard (the concept has been around for ages: see ripping link in my signature).
http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm (you can also use these tools for other consoles: home ones are especially fond of it)

@pasc there is a DPG splitter available to play on the PC and there is a DPG demuxer to pull apart the streams (you can do it with a hex editor too, the header varies slightly with DPG version but you can quite easily determine it from the batchDPG source).
This will generate a couple of files
header:a small (as I recall it was jsut DPG? in ASCII (? was a number), the colours used (some were 16 bit while others 24 as I recall), the audio offset (relative I think), the video offset and finally the GOP offset).
audio: MP2 (mpeg1 audio layer 2) for the most part although low bitrate OGG support was added later on. You will need to transcode the OGG file to mp2 to stick it in a MPG file (mp4 or mkv should not have a problem)
video: MPEG1, nothing more, nothing less. Some odd colorspaces (not sure how I supposed to spell that one) which might trip up a 10 year old decoder but most people use an ffmpeg derivative these days it seems.
GOP list: Later versions of DPG added this for seek speedup not necessary for the PC but probably not wise to leave on.

@Extreme Coder blurry video is in place of blocky video, it comes from using a wavelet transform to encode rather than the usual block of pixels.

lil-devil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
With this release, all you have to do is drag and drop your video file onto the encoder's *.exe file. If you want advanced options you'll need to launch it from the command-line with the various arguments set.
i don't know i get error by trying to open or drag and droping videos into it
"the application failed to intialize properly (01xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application"

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
With this release, all you have to do is drag and drop your video file onto the encoder's *.exe file. If you want advanced options you'll need to launch it from the command-line with the various arguments set.

i don't know i get error by trying to open or drag and droping videos into it
"the application failed to intialize properly (01xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application"
Same here on both Windows Xp and Windows Vista.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
So what's the purpose for that [Caiman Video Codec], if its made for people with flashcarts? Afterall, most people get flashcarts for free homebrew--i wouldn't imagine ppl paying for it.
Having anything commerical for flashcarts seems like it cancels itself out. O.o
or am i missing something here?
There are two commercial codecs tailored specifically for DS available. The first one is the previosly mentioned Caiman's Video Codec and the second one is ActImagine, which is used in most of the DS games (that use in-game video), probably due to a contract between the authors and Nintendo. I just did a small test to see how all the available codecs perform with Simpsons and unfortunately, Wavelet is still far behind everything else that's opensource (DPG and XviD), not to even mention commercial (just take a look at the cut-scenes in The Simpsons Game, those are fantastic.

But, you get what you pay for, so it's hard to believe we'll see a really decent opensource codec before the end of DS' lifetime. Just get an iPod or something.
wink.gif

P

pasc

gotcha ! bink and the mobyvideocodec are used in dsgames also ( moby in ash and bink in licencecrapgames I think).

anyway, actimagine still is very popular amogst devs.

lil-devil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
another thing, has anybody been getting problem with running it with sc dsone v3? i tried using the patched for sc one, turning the auto patch, using the unpatched one w/ auto patch
it doesn't work any idea anyone?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
another thing, has anybody been getting problem with running it with sc dsone v3? i tried using the patched for sc one, turning the auto patch, using the unpatched one w/ auto patch
it doesn't work any idea anyone?
Everything is working just fine, except for the sound on my Scds1 v2. It sounds like the sound is inverted or something...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: He's the reason why the banks closed lol.