DSTwo with DSiXL

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by zaxafreon, Mar 24, 2011.

Mar 24, 2011

DSTwo with DSiXL by zaxafreon at 8:38 PM (2,082 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. zaxafreon
    OP

Newcomer zaxafreon Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hey guys. Newbie here and therefore please be gentle with me (I realise that this question probably been asked million times but tried different solutions seen on forums)

Have a NDSiXL (v 1.4.1E) . Just bought DSTwo (from xpertron.co.uk - so hope this is not fake cart issue) and have a sandisk 4GB SDHC card.
    Formatted card using Panasonic SD format (used FULL overwrite) option.
    Downloaded latest EOS V1.11 to root of micro card
    Downloaed latest firmware (V1.09) copied the dstwoupdate.dat file to root of micro card
    At this point NO rom files added
    Placed micro card into DSTwo - > placed DSTwo into DSiXL
    Turned on - got touch screen to continue - then showed std DSi menu with "Fish Tycoon" icon - clicked the icon
    Nooooo!!! black screen with "An error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off"

The cart sitting nicely in DSi (not too tight or any other issues that some have complained about)

Any thoughts?http://gbatemp.net/style_images/2/folder_post_icons/icon2.gif
    Thanx

2. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    Reinsert the DSTWO to your DSi XL until it boot properly or try to reinsert the SD card

3. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    you have extracted all of the files inside the download correct?

doesn't sound like an sd card being inserted improperly (that would say "no find sd card")

try following this from scratch, it shows you which packages to get

you don't really need the latest firmware unless you're using a 3ds

4. zaxafreon
    OP

United Kingdom
    Terminator02 - thanks for suggestion

Q = you have extracted all of the files inside the download correct?
    A = Well all I can say is after downloading the zip files of each from the official page I extracted to
    folder on my desktop and then copied evertything eg _dstwo folder and ds2boot.dat from EOS1.11 . Didnt play about with anything - even copied over readme files

Q=doesn't sound like an sd card being inserted improperly (that would say "no find sd card")
    A= agree card seems securely in cart via spring mechanism

Q=try following this from scratch, it shows you which packages to get
    A= I believe I did use downloads from official pages BUT will do as you suggest - I note this link also relates to something called iMenu . Is your suggestion to also install iMenu or just to do the eos/firmaware?

Q=you don't really need the latest firmware unless you're using a 3ds
    A= Cant say I fully understand whatv the firmare refers to (is it just working on the supercard or does it influence the DSi itse2 supercart actually have ?lf) so although I note that 1.09 appears to be to correct an issue re 1.08 which in itself appears top be re 3DS as you say , if i dont have the 1.09 update file what version will the "new supercart actually have ?

Thanx again

5. Terminator02

United States
    it'll just install iMenu along with the standard stuff and a few extras

the 1.09 firmware doesn't matter don't even bother with it

6. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    I've had the same error before. Even though it looked like the SD card was firmly in there, it wasn't. So I just reinserted it and it worked fine [​IMG]

7. Terminator02

United States
    if what Bitbyte says is true you should try pushing the card in at an angle, pushing it towards the center of the flashcart, this should help it go in straighter

8. zaxafreon
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well decided to follow Terminator02 advice before got response. So followed link and iMenu detailed instructions (well not all of them!)
    On main site noted that slightly newer EOS (out on 22nd March) so downloaded that (also downloaded 1.09 firmware again)
    Ignored the advice to download patch (as was from January and assumed newer EOs will have it anyway)
    Installed iMenu and let the overwriting of files etc. Booted up - got the Fish Tycoon icon - held my breath and ...........................................Yes iMenu loaded up.
    Now just need to add some roms.

Now I cannot absolutely guarantee that it was not just random luck with card fitting properly after reinsertion (as per advice given by Bitbyte ??) but I am gonna settle on the fact that its a BIG thanks Terminator02 for his advice. (but will bare in mind sound advice re card - I have to say that when try to eject it it always catches a bit when half way out ).

By the way - I understand that the DSTwo is able to play music and video in normal formats (eg avi) without need for moonshell and/or convertion of video files. However I note iMenu also adds moonshell etc. Will i be able to play mp3 for example without going through moonshell ?

TTFN

9. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    1. You haven't installed the firmware 1.09 yet, since you're using iMenu already. You need to run the official plugin menu to install it (the option in iMenu labelled "DSTwo")
    2. Yeah, the newer EOS has a newer patch.
    3. For unconverted videos, you'll need to use the DStwo iPlayer plugin. You can play mp3s on it too, but I don't see any reason to use it for mp3s since Moonshell doesn't use the DStwo's CPU, so the iPlayer plugin drains more battery life compared to Moonshell.