DSTWO heating up in 3DS solution?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by videogame57, Sep 18, 2015.

1. videogame57
    OP

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    Not sure if this should be in the NDS forum, I think this is the right forum since this issue only occurs on a 3DS.

Whenever my DSTWO is inserted in my 3DS, it rapidly heats up and consumes battery life.
    I recall reading somewhere this has something to do with the DSTWO's CPU running constantly when in a 3DS, but is there any way to stop this from happening? I'm running the latest EOS and FW.

2. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Yep, the DSTWO contains a coprocessor which is why it's able to run emulators so efficiently. If you're just playing NDS ROMs then you'd be better off using an R4 or similar card. If you want to use the emulation features of the DSTWO then you'll have to put up with the heat and reduced battery life.

3. videogame57
    OP

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    Yes, but the problem is it's always getting hot, not just when I'm playing games on it. This doesn't happen in a DS or DSi.

4. Dyshonest

Dyshonest GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2014
    United States
    The 3DS itself has a bad overheating problem... you sure it's just the flash cart that's overheating?

5. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    It does? I never really noticed it on mine.

6. videogame57
    OP

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    Yes because my 3DS has never gotten warm before, and when I remove the DSTWO, the side with the chips is warm, which faces away from the 3DS CPU when inserted.

7. Dyshonest

Dyshonest GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2014
    United States
    Your 3DS has never gotten hot before? You got a rare version, apparently.

8. videogame57
    OP

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    I probably couldn't feel it through the powerpak+ if it did heat up, this heat is coming from the cartridge.

9. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    It's normal, even when not in use. The cart itself is pretty thick as it is. The 3DS keeps the CPU on-board active.

10. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Eject it while you're not playing, that's the best you can do.

11. ric.

ric. Drivin' to meme country

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    As everyone else has said: the 3DS and the DSTWO just don't get along. The DSTWO has a coprocessor inside it that needs to always be on for the cart to function. The 3DS on the other hand needs to always read from the cart in order to know what game is contained in the cart - which the DSTWO circumvents by pretending to be some Alex Rider game or whatever. Because of this, even if you're doing something else in the system, the DSTWO is constantly working to keep pretending it's an Alex Rider game in order to fool the 3DS' security measures.

There is simply no way around it - and your battery will be drained VERY fast if you keep the cart in the system. You either have to get used to turning off the console instead of just closing it, or just use a DSLite, which is what I do. The battery life is still reduced, but not nearly as much as on the 3DS.

Margen67 likes this.
  12. Earth97

Earth97 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    Italy
    Does it work differently with R4 3DS? It's always showing as a NDS Game in the home menu, but I cannot feel so much heat coming from it.

13. ric.

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    I don't own one myself, but I think the impact on battery life is lessened by the fact that the R4 doesn't have a coprocessor.

Margen67 and lemanuel like this.
  14. dannyboy941

dannyboy941 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2012
    My Nintendo 3ds get warm from Eshop or just normal 3ds game not very time just sometime from charging. I don't have an Flash cart for 3DS.
    Then flicking the under screen but you not see it at away only if you look near on color black.

Last edited by dannyboy941, Sep 18, 2015
  15. ric.

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    Is it an early model? Regular-sized or XL? Do you play with the 3D on? I've played Smash for hours on my regular 3DS (with the 3D off) and it doesn't get warm at all.

16. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    I've never had my O3DSXL get even warm before, except for playing outside on a hot day.

mech and lemanuel like this.
  17. dannyboy941

dannyboy941 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2012

Is one from 2011 is the regular sized with version 3.X EU one i have him about 4 years. I already with version 10.0.27EU

Sorry for my bad english

18. ric.

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    Your english is fine, don't worry about it. :)

It's *possible* (but don't quote me on that) that early models are more prone to overheating, and that the 3DS motherboard got a revision at some point of the system's lifespan - resulting in newer systems overheating less than the earlier launch models.

Of course this is all speculation, the only way to truly know would be to open up a couple 3DS and compare the motherboards to see if there's a difference in chip placement or model number.

19. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Me neither.

Nor does my DSTWO get warm.

Battery life, meh, the 3DSXL battery life is lower than that my regular DS, but not bad if I plug it in when not using it, so it's ready to go when I do want to use it.

20. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Mine never heated up either, even after longer play sessions.