DSTT memory

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by cepheus, Oct 10, 2008.

Oct 10, 2008

DSTT memory by cepheus at 10:02 PM (768 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. cepheus
    OP

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  2. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    DX doesn't have fake Kingston's. I just ordered a 4 GB Kingston MSD from them and it's genuine.

3. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    It'll work perfectly fine for all games, except maybe both Castlevanias and that tony hawk game, but those might work if you use 64KB clusters though.

4. cepheus
    OP

Canada
    does anyone know if the sandisk 2gb will work?

Thanks HBK, I'll place an order during the weekend if no one else has anything negative on DX kingstons to say here.

5. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    I have both a 2gb and 4gb kingston, ordered at the same time (few weeks ago) from DX, and another 2gb one from a while back.

All work fine in DSTTs, but the 4GB card does appear to be fake to me.

-Both cards came in the same packaging, down to the number underneath the barcode in the bottom right on the back (I would have thought this would differ between the 2 and 4gb models).
    -The 4GB card's packaging has all the same text on the back, although the text is less dark.
    -The 'verification' sticker on the 4gb looks worse than the 2gb one, the head does not disappear much at any angle where as it does on the 2gb, the left and right of the sticker are more similar in prism effect than the 2gb one also.

My guess would be its fake, and they're just faking those verification stickers also (using a legit cards S/N most likely), not a huge surprise.

These came in the Red and Dark blue packaging, I've previously received a 2GB kingston from DX in the light blue packaging with people wearing angel wings. That one also appears to be legit.

One of the 2 new cards (not sure if it was the 2 or 4GB), one came with what sounded like cheezy asian covers of western pop songs in mp3 on it, and a jpeg of the 'people in angel wings'. I just gave it a quick format and its fine.

The page at DX for the 2GB card goes out of its way to mention it is a genuine Kingston japan, the 4GB page makes no such attempt.

If you really want a genuine one, buy it locally from a bricks and mortar store.
    Mobile phone shops around me sell sandisk 4gb cards for about $25 or so, vs $14 at DX. Not a huge difference it you want to be sure.

EDIT: A class 2 4GB sandisk and a class 4 8GB sandisk cards I have bought locally work perfectly for me, so there is reason you need a 'kingston japan' card to get the most out of the DSTT.

6. cepheus
    OP

Canada
    awesome! thank you so much.

I ordered the 2gb japan already but I think I will eventually pick up a 4gb or 8gb sdhc when I have more money.