Hacking DSTT: Death by Chrono Trigger?

mega man x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've had my TT since March and it has always run perfect. That is until just this last week when the game of games, Chrono Trigger, came out. So, I read the forums and find out that the cheat patch will erase the mem cards data. I decided to back up my card and put CT with the Cheat DB patch in on the official firmware. Lo and behold, the game runs!
bow.gif

After nearly 7 hours of play, my Dstt is now unusable
cry.gif
. I have reformatted 3 times, used older firmware and only one game on the memcard, but it just will not boot. When i turn it on, the lower screen becomes "stuck" on the first screen and it is extremely faded. Option 2 is that the DS loads, then gets 2 white screens. Option 3 is that the DS loads with a top black screen and a bottom white screen. The 1-in-100 4th option is that the TT actually loads. I don't believe I have a fake, as I inspected when the first screens came out. i was half expecting the game to erase my saves and such, but could it actually kill the card ITSELF? The sad part is that I gave my brother a DSTT for his B-Day 2 days ago. Of course i installed CT on there for him, and of course his is dead as well(same problems). Iv'e tried loading the TT without a memcard and i still get the same things. I tested it before I put CT on there and it loaded fine multiple times.

Did my favorite game of all time just kill 2 DSTTs?!?!?!

dsoutware

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i doubted that the game killed the dstt. however, i am not an expert in programing so i don't know the full extend of the process in making the game. Maybe nintento really had it worked this time to get rid of all wanna be carts. The other option is just that the dstt is just failed. I have the same cart and it does the same thing like you, although it never worked from the beginning. The symtoms seemed right though, fade screen. Maybe you could try out a lower firmware really old one. Then just have one game. I realized that the dstt won't boot is that it can not create a system file. Maybe you could get a working copy microsd and put in the presumed dead dstt and test it out.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My last 2 DSTT went exactly the same way 'white screen of death' syndrome. No chrono trigger on them and both died within a week.

Are you using 1.16 firmware ? It's feared it has fake killing code, or maybe just bad code that kills their own carts too ???

To make things more confusing DSTT changed the 1.16 firmware without notifying. Check my thread about 'new 1.16 firmware' in this section, it has the checksums for both versions of ttmenu.dat, my 2 that died had the first version which is knocking about on many sites... see here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=116555

mega man x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay so from looking at the ndstt.com pics, I think the latest one I just bought(my brother's) is a fake. It came in the blister pack, but the sd slot is on the left and the pics show it on the right.
mad.gif
So maybe that one got the fake killer. My older one is still a real one I think. But the little dots don't match up with the ones on th stopped production pic. My guess now is that this was a fake the whole time. No gold dot or J on my old one, so I thought I was in the clear. Damnit, I will email DX about it and see what they say.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I hate to admit it but I am seeing lots of posts everywhere about CT corrupting memories on DSTT. On Supercard the unpatched game, before the update, would not saveif it wasn't using the SRAM chip. My guess is that CT is saving in a different way from most games, and while it won't go past 'formatting memory' on SC(before the patch) it actually tries to save on DSTT but ends up corrupting the memory. As far as flashcart death goes I don't know, but might it be that memory corruption is unhandled by the DSTT's internal firmware and it ends up breaking itself?

M3, iTouch, R4 and SC users avoid DSTT menu with CT.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When trying to run Chrono Trigger using the patch that was release will defintly corrupt your microsd but not the TSDD itself. The cheat code work fine though.

I_Got_Wii'D

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
The Patch will kill a DSTT, so just use the codes and NOT the patch.

On a side note tho, when you pay more for a McDonalds Happy Meal then you're Flashcart it cleary is not going to be a good flashcart. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but its the truth.

churchmate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can i still play CT without this patch? w/o tihs patch i got stuck in the portal... what do i need to do pass the portal?

so if I delete the patch, then my dstt will function normally? my dstt created *.arp file after i used the patch.. should i just delete this ARP file?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The .arp file (ARP = Action Replay) contains the cheat settings, so it was created by the cheat engine, not by the patch (a patch is manually applied directly to the .nds file on your PC). The suggestion was that you use the cheat rather than the patch.

-Bri

mega man x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used the cheat method on my old DSTT and i got pretty far in the game. But it slowly started to degrade in boot time. My brothers is definteley a fake and I think that 1.16 killed it. My old one does not match up with the one on NDSTT.com, so I think its a better fake.thats why it lasted longer and let me play. i've contacted DX about this, so we'll see what happens. At this point, i want to order a supercard, but i may just stay away from DX on that order.

StylusSamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone confirmed the safety of the codes on a real DSTT?

EDIT: I mean, will the alternative codes to run Chrono Trigger work on a Real DSTT? or lead down the patched path of coruption?

Now all this tlak od Fake killers and stuff, i don't think my DSTT is fake, but it doesn't match up with any examples. It looks like a mix between the old version and new version.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have not seen any definitive evidence that 1.16 firmware contains fake-killer code. In fact, the evidence would seem to indicate otherwise. The gradual degradation of the flash cart described by some users isn't indicative of how the fake-killer code operates if the video on the ndstt web site is to be believed. In the video, the fake-killer code appears to kill the flash cart quickly and decisively.

The descriptions I've heard from people claiming their cart was killed by the 1.16 firmware sounds more like DSTT contact problems that have been plaguing some carts (both real and fake) as of late. It may be more prevalent among fake carts because one would imagine the quality control on the fake carts may not be as good.

However, I have confirmed that the firmware labeled 1.16 that was released the first day is definitely different than the firmware labeled 1.16 that is there now. So to be safe, use 1.15 unless you just have to play that obscure Japanese game that was fixed with 1.16.

-Bri

curiousmike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Applying the CT patch ( contained in the DOWNLOADS section above ), then attempting to run CT did nuke my memory card.

However, re-formating the card then re-installing the TT firmware files fixed it up.

I believe people who think CT "killed" their TT don't understand the basics of how to re-format their memory card and the need to re-install the TT firmware/OS.

mega man x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the panasonic reformatter suggested on this website, dloaded 1.15, left ttmenu.dat and ttmenu folder plus one nds game in its own folder. anything i missed PLEASE let me know. I just want it to work.

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all
smile.gif

Ive been reading your forums for a long time now.

Wanted to report that using the cheats db to get Chrono Trigger to run on a ORIGINAL dstt should give no problems at all.

Using the 1.16 firmware + cheats to get the game to run and no problems yet so far.
(Had the game on since it was out)

Iam not sure or Chrono Trigger is the cause of your dstt stop functioning.
Myself I think its more the 1.16 firmware.

Did anyone running 1.15 get his dstt crashed while using Chrono Trigger`s patch?

Greetz Vistabuser.

StylusSamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is my Situation:
- using 1.16 firmware
- Confused about authenticity of DSTT, but likely it is real

I wasn't sure if CT was going to work, so i foolishly used the patch on a different sd card (let's call it CARD A) than my usual card (CARD B). When I used CARD A, the errors and the latter followed, it corrupted CARD A and had to be reformatted, yatta yatta yatta. But now using CARD B, which was untouched with any CT or patch, I am having the booting errors decribed in the first post.

I haven't tried going back to 1.15 but I plan to as soon as I get back from classes.

@megaman x - Have you had any other errors after the boot errors?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    PP is crooked la, set it straight
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop looking at my hooked pp
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my bad, blame it on lack of lube
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Barrels of lube
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    still busy hackin' ps4?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If the damn script would work it'd be nice
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    maybe it's the incompatible model
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's because I have a arch64 model tv it's just normal ps4 bs
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    yeah, the JB does not activate instantly, because it relies on a flaw showing up in a process
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm on a older 6.72, still kinda tempted to upgrade, maybe a 9.00
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i probably cant go higher than 9.00 becus i have the CUH-22XX model
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I keep getting stuck on waiting for padi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    hmmm, i got no clue, i need to re-check their step by step guide
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    11.0 hack is great if you got a webos tv
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i dont have LG tvs around