OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greetings to all.

I have a DSLite which will not turn on properly.
The green power light comes on then dims then top screen flashes white before system turns itself off. (No signs of life in the bottom screen at all)
The ds was reportedly dropped but no obvious damage to case or hinges.
I have opened the bottom half of the case and checked all cable connectors which seem to be fine.
Also I can see no obvious damage to the touch/LCD screen itself, but assume there may be some problem which is causing the fault.
The only idea I have is to try to replace the bottom screen with a good one to see if this works but just wondered if anybody has had similar problem and could offer any alternative suggestions for a fix?

I also tried to open the top half of the case to check the cable there but after removing the four screws, I was unsure if the cases just unclip of is there some trick to separating these?

thrallking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The connector to the top screen might have come loose. Open it up and try that first. Replaceing the fuse is not a walk in the park.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The top screen should be OK, as it flashes (indicating that it is connected...)

The problem is the bottom screen, have you checked the ribbon cables for fractures? You said you made sure the connectors were in. Are the black tabs securing them in place?

Steevsee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joey90 said:
The top screen should be OK, as it flashes (indicating that it is connected...)

The problem is the bottom screen, have you checked the ribbon cables for fractures? You said you made sure the connectors were in. Are the black tabs securing them in place?

Thanks for all the quick responses so far.
Yes, black connector tabs (x 3) are all locked down.
Not sure how to tell if cables have fractures - nothing stands out on visual inspection.
Might try swapping out the bottom screen and will let you know if it makes a difference.

Steevsee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a quick update.
I have swapped over the bottom screen with a good one which made absolutely no difference.
Looks like I might have to look at the fuses.
I assume fuse1 is a part of the charging circuit and I need to check fuse2.
Can I check it with a multimeter whilst it is still attached to the board?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, you can, although I doubt it's a fuse problem.

If it was dropped, a ribbon cable may have come loose, even if the connector tab locks are still down. Open the tabs, push the cables in (make sure they actually go fully in - difficult to tell unless you've done it before!) and try again.

704jaffer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not saying your problem is a power switch problem, but in my experience, when I was replacing my power button, when the switch had not yet been properly soldered, attempting to turn the system on would flash the ds on when the switch was up, but off when the switch fell back down. Since the DS was dropped it may have severed some internal circuit board connection. Overall, sounds power related though, try holding the power switch up.

Steevsee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a quick update.

I have successfully bridged F2 Fuse with jump wire. (Very delicate task - I definitely need glasses!)
blink.gif

However it has made absolutely no difference. Those who said "not fuse" were, apparently right.

Wile I was at it I swapped over the top screen for a good one , which also made no difference.

Double checked all cables and clamps.

Looks like I might be up for a new mainboard.

Anyone suggest a good supplier in Australia?

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you are good at modding, I would just recommend buying a ds (broken screen or buttons) and maybe a replacement case and use that baord and combine parts.

Seeing as you will have to mod either way

Steevsee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kirby145 said:
It sounds like you are good at modding, I would just recommend buying a ds (broken screen or buttons) and maybe a replacement case and use that baord and combine parts.

Seeing as you will have to mod either way

Hi and thanks for the suggestion.
I had actually thought that this might be my best bet to get a replacement board at a reasonable price so will most likely do as you have suggested.
Still have to be careful though as I have bought a couple of Broken DS systems on ebay in the past ,only to find someone had already attempted repairs and rendered the boards pretty much useless.

Also, just to let everyone know, I have just finished replacing the faulty motherboard with the one from my son's DS and the system started up perfectly, first time.
yaynds.gif

Still need to track down a replacement board for my son now. (I have also ordered a new translucent blue case for him to sweeten the deal)

We actually have a total of five DS lites in this household, 3 owned by kids under 12, so I am quite sure that this will not be my last DS repair project!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, mine is instrumental too