Homebrew DSlinux for a complete ds n00b.

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Heya guys, well this is my first post and im not realy sure if its in the right section but anyway...
i haven't had much experience with game platform hacking but i would realy like to set up DSLinux ( www.dslinux.org )on my NDS lite, i can buy parts (Eg, SD cards) from local shops but i would prefer not to have to buy any spesalised parts online as my paypal isnt setup with a card.

also another little qestion, how to remove that stupid health and warning screen from boot? (also im a n00b at this so tuts would have to be very clear)

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Well to use DSLinux you only need a flashcart you can buy them online, but in your case if you have a chinatown or market or something where you live there is bound to be a place to buy flashcarts. To remove the health and safety warning you need to flash your DS, this is quite tricky and risky so imo I wouldn't do it unless you have experience with hacking and stuff.

Once you get a flashcart, you just need to put the flashcart's firmware on a microSD card and the DSLinux homebrew application. Though before getting a flashcart you should really browse the forum and see which one is right for you, imo M3 Real, CycloDS, and AK2 are the best. I would personally go for the M3 Real which I have but it is up to you, one more thing don't buy an R4, R4 III, R4 anything because they are all clones and not the best flashcarts around.

Also welcome to Gbatemp!

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks petting zoo, do you know any links to buy a flashcart that will ship to south australia? (cheap is prefrable) also in regards to your avitar i think i may...

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ozmodchips.com - Melbourne based, free shipping in Oz and excellent customer support.
EDIT: Ah, I just re-read your original post and see that you want to use paypal - ozmodchips don't deal with paypal but they do bank transfers and money orders too, I think.

Problematique

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx said:
Thanks petting zoo, do you know any links to buy a flashcart that will ship to south australia? (cheap is prefrable) also in regards to your avitar i think i may...
DX
Ill tell you what NOT to get

Don't get a dstt
Why?
Cause theirs fakes going around and the latest firmware can brick fakes

Dont get anything with R4 IN ITS NAME
Why?
Because there all clones/fakes and there is no updates for r4 anymore

Dont get U2,N5,mars and dstt advance
Why?
there all clones

Your best bet would be an acekard,supercard,m3,i-touch

you will need a micro sd to store files
you can also play roms on these cards...

there is a lot of homebrew then just ds linux, ds linux is rarther hard to use unless you been on the command line for years

there a pda app called ds organize
a media player called moon shell
a computer controller called win2ds fusion where you can view the screen of your computer as well as open things

there hundreds of homebrew for you noobs
welcome to the home brew world my friend

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that Dealextreme.com ships worldwide. If they do, they've got the cheapest flash cards and free shipping (from China, expect 2+ weeks). They take Paypal.

As for getting rid of the health and warning screen, you have to flash your DS's firmware to do that. If something goes wrong during the process, or DS becomes a paperweight. It's not worth the risk, and a good portion of flash cards out there have an auto-boot features, which automatically simulates a button push at the first possible moment to get past the health and warning screen. This method doesn't alter anything on your DS, and is exponentially safer.

Hope that helps.

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx said:
ok, im looking at geting "AceKard 2.1" from www.ozmodchips.com but dose anyone know if the pricing is in AUD or USD?

Isn't it obvious? Prices are in AUD. Although I would like to recommend bamboogaming.com which has better prices than ozmodchips but the shipping takes a couple of weeks (shipping from asia)

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
there is a lot of homebrew then just ds linux, ds linux is rarther hard to use unless you been on the command line for years
actuly im a linux user and i do know the shell comands relitivly well, i am planing spesificly to install linux so i can use it tro crack WEP encryptions on my ds,

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just a bit of a heads up here - looks like DSLinux also needs a slot 2 RAM expansion card to run properly.

From the DSLinux Wiki:

QUOTE said:
Notes on Extra RAM

The DS only has 4MB of RAM which severely limits how much you can do with DSLinux. Thanks to the work of Amadeus and many others, the DLDI Build will now detect and enable the GBA RAM automatically on most Slot-2 cards that have built-in RAM. If you do not have a RAM extension you may experience crashes and "out of memory" errors when running most of the applications.

Ozmodchips sells the ezflash V 3in1 as well, but they are a bit pricey there, to be honest.
Dealextreme sell them cheaper, but they have the latest version, the 3in1 plus - a lot of slot one cards and software don't support it yet, but it does have more RAM than the older 3in1 version ozmodchips currently has in stock.

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
unz said:
Just a bit of a heads up here - looks like DSLinux also needs a slot 2 RAM expansion card to run properly.

From the DSLinux Wiki:

QUOTE said:
Notes on Extra RAM

The DS only has 4MB of RAM which severely limits how much you can do with DSLinux. Thanks to the work of Amadeus and many others, the DLDI Build will now detect and enable the GBA RAM automatically on most Slot-2 cards that have built-in RAM. If you do not have a RAM extension you may experience crashes and "out of memory" errors when running most of the applications.

Ozmodchips sells the ezflash V 3in1 as well, but they are a bit pricey there, to be honest.
Dealextreme sell them cheaper, but they have the latest version, the 3in1 plus - a lot of slot one cards and software don't support it yet, but it does have more RAM than the older 3in1 version ozmodchips currently has in stock.
ok, thanks for the heads up, well, im buying the slot 1 device from them so il probably buy the ram from them two, but id like to get alot of ram, so is it possible to get a slot 2 device that has expandable ram? (Eg: lets you insert a micro SD card)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MicroSD cards are not RAM, they are storage cards. Furthermore, they cannot act as RAM since the DS cannot do file paging. The most slot-2 RAM you can get is 32 MB (non-Rumble Supercard and M3 Perfect), then next is the EZ-V 3in1 expansion pack which has 16 MB, and the Opera RAM pack has 8 MB. You probably won't need more than 16, but it's your choice. I highly doubt that DSLinux supports the newer 3in1s that have just started coming out, so you may be safer getting a slot-2 Supercard (as long as it's not the Rumble variety).

Please make sure you read the DSLinux wiki before you get started. It will help you understand more about what you're doing.

Flashing the DS will get rid of the warning screen, and I disagree with the previous posters. Yes there is a chance that you can brick your DS, but only if you manage to successfully start the process and then the DS turns off within the first 1-3%. If you didn't get any progress at all when the DS is turned off, then you're safe. If you got at least 1-3% done, you can use the emergency recovery code that it wrote to the firmware and try again. I've flashed several DS systems with no issues.

Nevertheless, if the only reason you want DSLinux is for cracking WEP passwords, then cancel the order. I don't believe DSLinux has any tools for cracking WEP codes, though it might have TCPdump installed by default, not really sure. I'm not entirely certain that the DS's wifi hardware is even capable of such a task, to be honest. Definitely do more research before you buy anything.

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
unz said:

From the DSLinux Wiki:

QUOTE said:
Notes on Extra RAM

is it possible to use the EFA-Linker 256 mb as an expansion for the ram? Because it's a very old card and I don't know if it works... How does it work? I just plug the cart in the slot-2 and then as soon as DSLinux starts it detects the ram? or do I have to install a program inside the slot-2 card as well?

ps: sorry if I hijacked this thread but I've been wondering this for quite a while now XD

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, old GBA carts use NOR flash which is very slow to write to but very quick to read from, making them suitable for running GBA games which require lightning-fast response times. They will not work as RAM however.

DSLinux automatically detects when you've got slot-2 RAM inserted upon bootup. Typing "free" will show you how much RAM it's detected and how much is being used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released