Hacking DSLink announced

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was trying to say that they can't keep production costs low and put in the CPLD chip so thats why you have to have your DS flashed in order to use this device. They didn't want to spend the money to fit everything into the DS gamecart as it would push the product cose up too much. I think SuperCard and M3 will do it the right way though and make this device the way it should have been made from the start.

Clean roms are unpatched and don't have to bypass RSA codes which means you can do DS download play without any problems.

FifthE1ement

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
PS: smaller CPLD's exist than the actel line the current noPass uses... I personally think it would just be a matter of getting the "right" person to reduce the number of gates required to emulate a DS cart so a smaller SMT package could be used... as far as I can see the NinjaPass may have indeed done so already (by also reducing the size of code on the noPass)

could that person be you?
laugh.gif
j/k

this product looks good, hands down: it has the best name among others... someone should just come up with 10$ flashme solution product...

supermecleboss

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
new images :

p10100161et1.jpg

p20100611tp6.jpg

p10100161lj8.jpg

p20100611tv7.jpg

info :

Some official words:

We didn’t test compatability for all titles yet, but since we got intensive DS experience from the past,
it won’t be a problem for us, after all, this is a software issue, we can always finish and update it
step by step in the future. As far as TF card (Micro SD), we have tested 1G, 256MB, and 512MB, works fine.
And we have tested NDS, IDS, and IDSL (NDSL Chinese version), no problem at all

Update: More info
Well, apparently the problem that DS-LINK facing is the CPLD part. CPLD is a programmable logic chip, and most of flash card use CPLD to connect data to the right direction, including Passcard devices that used NOPASS method,
they usually got a programmed CPLD installed. The problem is not that they can’t do it, it's just that, the space avaliable onboard and the cost of development. They thought lots of people already flashed their DS, therefore, by skipping the NOPASS they can cost-down the DS-LINK. CPLD is the biggest chip on board, and usually takes over a huge among of space from PCB.

There are a couple of options for DS-LINK:

1. Rewrite Flashme source code and combine it with DS-LINK’s core bios (takes time and money to do, not likely they will do so, since they are trying to cost-down the product).

2.Install a stand-alone security chip just like normal DS card, but it is going to take over an area on the PCB. (yet, remember the early version of Passme devices? You need to write a save file to your SLOT2 GBA port in order to run the Passme feature, not practical in this case).

Mainly it's the cost-down issue.

They are also trying to develop a tool that allows you to back up your original DS bios. (Yeah right, Whoop-di-doo)
Oh, by the way, if they still rely on Flasheme method, that means, likely you might still need to patch roms, and the WIFI download play is going to have the same problem with all other SLOT2 products out there…

source : http://www.dualscene.net/news.php

supermecleboss

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
sorry but :

info :

Some official words:

We didn’t test compatability for all titles yet, but since we got intensive DS experience from the past,
it won’t be a problem for us, after all, this is a software issue, we can always finish and update it
step by step in the future. As far as TF card (Micro SD), we have tested 1G, 256MB, and 512MB, works fine.

Well, apparently the problem that DS-LINK facing is the CPLD part. CPLD is a programmable logic chip, and most of flash card use CPLD to connect data to the right direction, including Passcard devices that used NOPASS method,
they usually got a programmed CPLD installed. The problem is not that they can’t do it, it's just that, the space avaliable onboard and the cost of development. They thought lots of people already flashed their DS, therefore, by skipping the NOPASS they can cost-down the DS-LINK. CPLD is the biggest chip on board, and usually takes over a huge among of space from PCB.

1. Rewrite Flashme source code and combine it with DS-LINK’s core bios (takes time and money to do, not likely they will do so, since they are trying to cost-down the product).

2.Install a stand-alone security chip just like normal DS card, but it is going to take over an area on the PCB. (yet, remember the early version of Passme devices? You need to write a save file to your SLOT2 GBA port in order to run the Passme feature, not practical in this case).

They are also trying to develop a tool that allows you to back up your original DS bios. (Yeah right, Whoop-di-doo)
Oh, by the way, if they still rely on Flasheme method, that means, likely you might still need to patch roms, and the WIFI download play is going to have the same problem with all other SLOT2 products out there…

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
new images :

info :

Some official words:

See: -> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=35510&st=75# Pics (only smaller and CLPD problem, etc.)

EDIT: Funny since your source used the exact words midigear used in his post. Including the "(Yeah right, Whoop-di-doo)".
rofl2.gif

ledats

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Okay okay, can people stop posting the same f**king info over and over, I think everyone has got the idea behind dslink now, including my grandma!

midigear

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He he, it is so funny to see my post travel around and then landed on the very first place it was,
and yet the original source wasn’t even addressed as GBAtemp.
I don’t care if my name has been mentioned, but word by word, (English version)
everything was first posted here on GBAtemp,
or otherwise I must have been dreaming in the twilight zone.
blink.gif

The reason for DS-LINK to write bios backup software is that,
in China, there is another version of Nintendo DS, it’s called “IQue DS”.

The company is a join investment from Nintendo Japan and a famous Chinese American scientist.
IQue is the OEM manufacture of all those DS, DS Lite in your hands today.
They are like the factory for Nintendo product in China.

IQue DS plays all DS titles just like a normal Nintendo DS,
but it has a special feature to play its own Chinese version of games designed only for IQue DS,
which a normal DS couldn’t play at all.

A lot of Chinese people bought IQue DS for that Chinese DS start up menu and all those Chinese titles,
therefore, they don’t want to install Flashme. As we know, once an IQue DS is flashed,
might as well say buh-bye to that manufactory warranty and all those Chinese games.

That’s why DS-Link is trying hard to persuade people into those
“Flashme is good, why not?” BS, and that’s why they are saying that they will develop a software
to back up your original DS bios. It’s all about Chinese version of IQue DS.

DS-Link knows, if DS-LINK couldn’t successfully convince all those IQue users to flash their bios,
they will lose a big chunk of market share.

I don’t really care whether people flash their DS or not, but the moral is,
DS-LINK is good, but it is still far from a perfect SLOT1 product.

You need to Flash your DS, you need to patch each and every one of your roms just like other SLOT2 products;
you are going to get the same problem with WIFI download play just like SC or M3 etc.

The only good thing I can visualize for DS-LINK is the empty GBA port.

After all, you can still get some share of that “good vibrations” from an official rumble cart.
If I were you, I’ll read the latest review of this product first before I get my hands on it.

The reviews will be translated here on GBAtemp soon, I think.
smile.gif

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be the best SLOT-2 card to go with the DSLINK for GBA games? What would be the cheapest? Also, how would booting work with a flash card in both slots? I assume SLOT-2 would boot first since flashme is installed, so you have to hold select to boot the DSLINK?

bobbyblunt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What would be the best SLOT-2 card to go with the DSLINK for GBA games? What would be the cheapest? Also, how would booting work with a flash card in both slots? I assume SLOT-2 would boot first since flashme is installed, so you have to hold select to boot the DSLINK?

I have to hold select for menu to boot my Ultraflashpass otherwise it boots to slot2

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
$50? Are you dreaming?

This unit will probably cost $75-100 (without the MicroSD)

These people know by your comments that it's a hit...they're going to charge through the nose for it!

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
still skeptical on compatibility with the whole flash512mb scandal....but it'll be a pleasant surprise for sure if it really is full compatibility + microsd.....I guess this only appeals to users of flashme, which is fine by me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Red Bitch Blue Bitch Pumping ain't easy!