DSL powers on but wont charge

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MC DUI, Jul 2, 2009.

Jul 2, 2009

DSL powers on but wont charge by MC DUI at 12:59 AM (1,071 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. MC DUI
    OP

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Hey people

I'm posting to get some advice on repairing my wifes DSL.
    I recently replaced the touch screen in it for her, it went fine and everything seemed to work.

Now a few months later (she hasn't played it much) she went to charge it and the charging light wouldn't come on, we left it for a while to see if it was charging anyway.
    But the DS would only turn on for a second and then turn off.

I thought it might be the battery so I purchased a new one from Dealextreme and replaced it. Now the DSL turns on fine (Obviously new battery is slightly charged) but the charging light still wont come on.

Does anybody know what the issue might be? I've got no problems pulling the DS apart again to repair it just I wouldn't know what I was looking for....

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    My DS lite does that from time to time, but it has always worked after letting it sit for a few hours. I dont know the exact cause of the issue but I imagine it effects alot of people. This is not a blown fuse, because mine will continue to work even after the same exact symptons, however there is a solder hack which might help the issue.

http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_D...le_(blown_fuse)

Dunno, I am pretty newbish when it but there is alot of misinformation floating around out there so be careful and think logically.

3. tedmg09130913

Member tedmg09130913 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Could it be that the charging light isn't working? Try leaving the dsl on for eight hours while plugged in. If it stays on then the battery charging should be working. If the ds shuts off shortly after you disconnect the charger then maybe you received a battery that is almost dead.

4. Steevsee

Newcomer Steevsee Advanced Member

Australia
    I have just repaired a Phat DS with identicle troubles - worked fine with a charged battery but no light or charge when connected to charger.
    Turned out to be a missing fuse(F1). Yes it was actually missing! Don't know if I knocked it off or what, but I soldered in a replacement wire link and it charges fine now.
    You can get repacement fuses which would be better but a wire link will get you working again. Very fine soldering is required as these fuses are tiny!
    You can check the fuse with a multimeter to see if it is good or not, before attempting any soldering.

Also have you checked your charger to make sure it is actually working?

Good luck.

5. MC DUI
    OP

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys, yes I've tried leaving it plugged in and also tried it with another charger. Both times the battery failed to charge.

Sounds like it could be the fuse issue mentioned, sucks because I've no idea how to solder let alone fine soldering...

6. tedmg09130913

Member tedmg09130913 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Most hardware stores sell thin metal tape with adhesive in rolls. You might be able to use that if you cut off a thin enough piece.

7. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Same exaxt thing happened to me. I took my cuzins battery from his DS lite and put it into mine and now it charges.

8. raing3

Member raing3 CNET_Richard

Australia
    This happened to my PSP as well and when I bought a new battery it worked for a few weeks and then went the same way [​IMG]