DSi WLAN on/off

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Strider, May 28, 2009.

May 28, 2009

DSi WLAN on/off by Strider at 1:44 PM (2,683 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Strider
    OP

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

Sorry to bother everyone with this stupid question, but I haven't found an answer yet.

Using the DS or DS lite, it turns wlan on or off automatically, when needed.

Now with the DSi I can turn WLAN on or off manually. Does this mean it uses power for wlan all the time? Or is 'on' simply the same status which the DS & lite have and turning wlan off is a mode for airplanes etc, so no game can turn on WLAN?

2. halljames

Member halljames GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I was wondering this as well. With the DS Lite, I liked the fact it would just turn wlan on when needed, but this, I will probably keep turned off all the time, but then if I wanted to go online in a game, would have to quite the game, turn it on, and then relaunch the game

3. Strider
    OP

...which is quite of a hassle.

So I'd expect it's only the option for software to really turn it on (so the same as DS/l) but I am worried it *might* consume more power for a gimmicky feature or something, really having the wlan hardware powered all the time.

Too bad the manual isn't helpful at all!

4. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I was wondering this as well. Since I discovered this lately when I went to the system settings, I asked "Is this the same as a laptop with a WiFi switch?"

In a laptop, if you have a WiFi switch, the light turns on and it uses more power. But in terms of the Nintend DSi, No light is blinking and it's only activated when we are in the program. So my guess is that it's still the same as the DS and DS Lite and only consumes power when it's activated by a game or a program. Not sure and dont flame me for this.

Has anyone called Nintendo yet and confirmed this? I turned it off but it's a hassle to go to the system settings and turn it on again. I wish it's the same as the previous DS's and will be activated when we use the wireless feature

5. GhostToast

Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i read in another thread about this topic that someone either knew or suspected that it's point was to simply act as a failsafe to ensure all wireless/wifi activity would not occur, such as if you are in situations where you are restricted to not use those types of devices. for example, airplanes, perhaps hospitals, whatever. maybe to help with any local/national laws where DSs could otherwise be seen as "dangerous" because of its online abilities?

seemed like a decent theory. i have left mine on. i guess the best way we could check is to do battery tests. leave it on with the lid closed (so you dont get image persistance) and see how long it takes to die. then do it with the wifi bit disabled. see if there's a difference.

6. Strider
    OP

I agree, a battery test just leaving a game running at the title screen would be nice. I just thought I'd even do that, but I have to notice when the battery runs out, that's where the trouble starts...

Anyway thanks for all the replies, happy that I'm not alone wondering [​IMG]

7. GhostToast

United States
    I put an email in to Nintendo's customer support, after an hour of browsing and finding an equal number of people saying yay/nay to battery draining while having wireless enabled. here's my message to them. hopefully we'll hear back soon:

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    ^^

great e-mail please post the reply, thats if there is any

I'm curious to about the answer, even though i don't have a DSi [​IMG]

9. 13philip13

Banned 13philip13 Banned

Netherlands
    i think the ds(lite) always has it on (not just turn on when needed) and anyways for those who dont have an wireless internet connection this is to spare some of your battery (thats for sure)

10. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    In pokemon platinum, I can access the Union Room even if the wireless is turned off. I cant find and access point in WiFi mode. Anyone tried playing Ouendan wireless games or mariokart in wireless mode while the Wireless is turned off? I dont have any games but pokemon and dont have any flashcart for DSi

11. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    actually i find that turing off ds wireless increases battery life when i am using my flash cart... and the irony is: I'm browsing GBATemp on my DSi right now. It's hella slow loading theses forums and will probably lag like crazy when I post this and give me a double post. On aside note I have not tested getting on wifi with a regular DS game due to my router being too sophisticated for native DS mode games...

12. GhostToast

United States
    sophisticated eh? i imagine your router reading classic literature and drinking trendy wines.

but yes, i will post any response i get. i haven't even gotten a canned response (auto reply). but nintendo does keep emailing me about wanting me to buy "DS - Walking!" or whatever. oh god. don't they hand out smurfmeters for free as business to business expos?

edit: lol. it turned p. e. d. ometer into smurfmeter. that's hilarious

13. GhostToast

United States
    OK. Here's our answer. The first message they sent me back a few days ago was completely blank. So I replied asking wtf basically. And here's the response to the year's biggest mystery:

14. thebigboss14

Member thebigboss14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So the conclusion is that the on/off switch is just to keep the DSi way from interfering with other artifacts that work with the same signal.

15. tal32123

Member tal32123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    this is a good option for my dad because he hates wireless. but it pisses me off because i don't like it on when i don't need it. also even if it isn't on wlan it still takes battery (not much) to operate the little light thats always on. and even when the wireless is off it messed with a regular radio signal. i don't want to know what it does in airplanes and hospitals.