OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nintendodsi02580x427.jpg

QUOTE said:
First released in Japan in Fall 2008, the Nintendo DSi brought a new era to Nintendo's handheld gaming with a low-res camera. That era, it seems, is apparently finished.

According to a Japanese retail source, the Nintendo DSi seems to be out of production. The available DSi consoles are apparently only those currently in inventory, and there are supposedly areas where it is sold out.

However, the DSiXL (or DSiLL as it's called in Japan) still seems to be in production.

With the Nintendo 3DS coming out shortly, Nintendo might want to avoid consumer confusion between the similarly-sized 3DS and the DSi.

If this is true, don't look for Nintendo to cease support for DSiXL just yet. The console still fills a gap by offering the DSi experience, but on larger scale.

Kotaku is following up with Nintendo and will update this post should the company comment

Source

Choosing in favour for DSi XL I see why not. Maybe DSi is stalled or some problems have occurred.

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought the DSi was basically justa new security test anyway.... But it's cracked now so maybe that has something to do with it? Just speculating...
wink.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Goli said:
Veho said:
Is the DS Lite still being manufactured?
No, but it still is being sold in some places.
When did they stop manufacturing the Lite? Did the DSi replace it? I thought they were going to be manufactured/sold side by side.
unsure.gif

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://ameblo.jp/omisedayori/

If you read the actual blog he clarifies his statement with

"I believe production has shifted towards the 3DS, once that run is complete it will shift back to DSi production."

The DSi XL is much more popular in Japan than the DSi is, thus it makes sense for them to shift production away from the DSi to the 3DS temporarily. Also the tone of the blog really makes it seem like he just works at the store, because he doesn't say he can't order them, just that it doesn't 'seem' like they're ordering more, and doesn't think they've asked when more are coming in. So take what he says with a grain of salt.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GundamXXX said:
Does this mean the DSi will drop in price?
Didn't it already drop price when the 3DS was announced? Like, just before hand?

QUOTE(Rydian @ Jan 11 2011, 03:41 PM) Actually low supply without a change of demand tends to raise prices...

True enough.
I had to replace my old black DSi from launch since the L button became faulty, and I had my heart set on the metallic blue DSi.
But that model was discontinued a while ago, I was very lucky to find one new online...just £20 pricier than normal.
It could've been a lot worse.

Why buy a new DSi now? Frankly, I don't plan to play my DS games on the 3DS, with flashcarts probably having no chance of working, and where the D-pad is on the 3DS.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
GundamXXX said:
Does this mean the DSi will drop in price?
Didn't it already drop price when the 3DS was announced? Like, just before hand?

QUOTE(Rydian @ Jan 11 2011, 03:41 PM) Actually low supply without a change of demand tends to raise prices...

True enough.
I had to replace my old black DSi from launch since the L button became faulty, and I had my heart set on the metallic blue DSi.
But that model was discontinued a while ago, I was very lucky to find one new online...just £20 pricier than normal.
It could've been a lot worse.

Why buy a new DSi now? Frankly, I don't plan to play my DS games on the 3DS, with flashcarts probably having no chance of working, and where the D-pad is on the 3DS.

Prices didnt drop that much, I think that 180 euro is still alot of money considering I bought my DS for about 150 in the first year
And why buy a DSi? Because in the end they will be cheaper then a 3DS, and when I buy my 3DS its going into a wall safe with security droids and lazerzzzz and shit to protect it. My DSi will just be treated like my old DS.... chucked in bag,s on tables, on floors by acciden,t gets stuff spilled over it, played with with dirty hands etc

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're starving the market before the release of the new hardware (3DS)

Also, in Japan DSiLL is seen as the DS system for the older crowd. (The joke is "grandpa DS.")

So they're not really as interested in the latest, greatest thing.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaniKazmi said:
the lite was stopped soon after the dsi came out.
Looks like nintendo wants everyone to upgrade to 3DS
tongue.gif

...what? citation please.
ive seen new stocks of ds lites every time i goto walmart or best buy or any store that sells em. i cant imagine after 2 years they still have them if they stopped production..

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They'd be stopping production at their main facility in order to switch over for production of the 3DS. They have plenty of stock on the DSi models, there is no need to continue producing them any longer at their main factories when they need to be pushing for more 3DS models.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i do remember when i wanted to buy a DS, i told my bro to buy a phat and not a lite but he couldnt buy one BCZ they were not producing phats anymore (i wish i had bought a phat now)
its possible that dsi-s totally get lost not dsi XL bcz there might be buyers who wouldnt be able to afford the 3ds in the beginning

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Rydian said:
Actually low supply without a change of demand tends to raise prices...
Not in the case of videogame hardware, I've never seen the price of it actually go up. Nintendo also won't drop hardware prices until absolutely necessary, and DSi sales are still steady enough for Nints to hold their prices.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
Actually low supply without a change of demand tends to raise prices...
Not in the case of videogame hardware, I've never seen the price of it actually go up. Nintendo also won't drop hardware prices until absolutely necessary, and DSi sales are still steady enough for Nints to hold their prices.

they do go up if they are brand new/sealed and it goes oop
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple