Homebrew DSi SNES compatability?

nonnonnon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I was wondering: will the curent version of SNEmulDS notice the extra ram on the dsi like dsl with ram expansion?

if this is the case it would be great, because the dsi has no gba slot so extra ram is impossible.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nonnonnon said:
I was wondering: will the curent version of SNEmulDS notice the extra ram on the dsi like dsl with ram expansion?

if this is the case it would be great, because the dsi has no gba slot so extra ram is impossible.
No it definitely won't since it has no slot-2 which is where the ram is at on the DSL, also it should be noted that while some games do work better with slot-2 ram some games also work worse or not at all with slot-2 ram if i remember correctly.

Findecanno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nonnonnon said:

The dsi hasn't been hacked to run in dsi mode yet so it will only use the 4mb of ram in ds mode

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SA-1 (the chip used in Mario RPG) was basically a supercharged SNES on a chip. Additional RAM and processor clocked at 12mhz (the original SNES processor clocks at about 3.78mhz). When initial emulation of the chip hit for PCs it pretty much doubled the system requirements. But I'm not sure if this was merely because of emulating the more powerful chip (alone anyways) or if a large part had to do with the fact that it added yet another timing issue to deal with.

If you don't have all of the chips timed correctly, you get a lot of bad things happening, including game crashes. This was a big problem emulators had when they first started adding sound (both for PC, and even more so on DS since each chip was emulated on different physical processors with different timings) Adding an additional processor you have to emulate and get the correct timings to to keep all 3 in sync (CPU, SPC, and SA-1) would be a real nightmare and not something I think you could even manage with the improved processor of the DSi.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
nonnonnon said:

To make this very clear the DSi does have more RAM than the DS and DS Lite (16MB, rather than 4MB), however all DS games, flashcarts, and programs run through flashcarts can only operate in 'DS Mode', which basically underclocks the whole system so it's the same as a DS or a DS Lite. That means no extra RAM, no camera function etc etc. Untill a DSi 'exclusive' game is released, it's going to be very hard to hack the DSi. Once hacked however, it's predicted we will be able to use the extra RAM and cameras in homebrew.

Also, if you're wondering about GBA emulators on the DSi, even though there is more RAM and processor speeds, the type of RAM GBA games were run on is completely different, so it's still very unlikely we'll see a GBA emulator on a DSi anytime soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone