DSi Mode on 3DS or DSi with AK2i?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by metroid maniac, Jun 2, 2011.

Jun 2, 2011
  1. metroid maniac
    OP

Member metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

United Kingdom
    Is DSi Mode on the AK2i possible through firmware updates or anything? I don't want to buy a iEVO.

2. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No, it'll never be possible.

3. jabato

Newcomer jabato Advanced Member

Spain
    The ievo flashcart dont have full dsi mode support. Dsi mode in ievo only allow you to play dsi games but its useless for homebrew because you cant even access sd card. The only useful dsi mode is the one you get with dsiware(if you have sudokuhak).

4. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    [​IMG]
    Of course you can't access the dsi SD slot but the ievo has access to the microSD. I don't understand where this is useless for homebrews ?

5. metroid maniac
    OP

United Kingdom
    So I can use DSi hardware, like the camera (not much, I know) and apparently WPA WiFi. IS there a physical difference in the cart?

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    WPA WiFi would only work for DSi exlcusive and DSi enhanced titles anyway. It doesn't work in regular DS games. The camera is used in one or two DSi enhanced games, no homebrew (yet, anyway). Really, you're not missing a lot.

Anyway, it technically could be possible I believe. The iEvo works off the same concept as other DSi-compatible flashcarts, such as the AK2i. It has a ROM (or part of a ROM) embedded in the bootloader, so the DSi thinks it is an actual game cart, and it exploits that game as soon as it boots to execute its own code. The only real difference is the game used, and the fact that in the iEvo, it is a save-based exploit (meaning the card also emulates the EEPROM of the original card) whereas on other cards it is an exploit embedded within the ROM.

The thing about the iEvo is it has hardware for two bootloaders, meaning it can have a DSi mode bootloader and a DS mode bootloader. Seeing as regular games won't natively work properly in DSi-mode, the iEvo has a "compatibility layer" to allow them to run in DSi-mode. Still, I believe this can be buggy and unstable, so for some games to work properly, you'll need to use DS-Mode I believe. The AK2i only has the hardware for one bootloader, so couldn't use this dual boot method. Therefore if this were going to work, the Acekard team would have to write a perfect compatibility layer, which I'm pretty sure would take quite a while.

So in theory, I think it is possible, but in practice, probably not.

7. metroid maniac
    OP

United Kingdom
    Right, that explains it well. Thanks Sif.

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    No bother maniac [​IMG]

9. metroid maniac
    OP

United Kingdom
    Finally! Someone calls me "maniac" instead of "metroid". I prefer being called maniac, in case you didn't know.

I should stop rambling on about trivial things now, shouldn't I.