Hacking DSi LCD Quality?

SkH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
So I'm thinking of buying a DSi because I heard a lot of good thing about it and I could utilize the new features it have.

But the only thing I don't really know about is, the quality of the LCDs.

The original DS' LCD wasn't that great apart from the bad backlight, I mean, the viewing angle. I thought the DS Lite's will be "fixed" but once I got my hands on one, I saw they did not. Actually, it was way worse.

I could only play Pokémon by adjusting the top LCD, it's that bad. And playing other games was very annoying, too! Damn, they should use OLED alredy!

So, how's the DSi's LCDs? Are the viewing angle better? Maybe there's a YouTube video on it to see the difference?

I think they might be better and not some cheap ones because it's much more expensive there.

Thanks all of your help in advance!

DOLwm

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dolwm.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I might be noob or something but what do you mean by Viewing angles? How you look at the screen?

It doesn't really matter cause i hold it up in my hands all the time.
I think ...

SkH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
DOLwm said:
I might be noob or something but what do you mean by Viewing angles? How you look at the screen?

It doesn't really matter cause i hold it up in my hands all the time.
I think ...
What angle you watch the LCD at.

If you have a DS Lite you can clearly see it that it matters how you look at the screen...

Nintendo, you should've really used an OLED display now (especially for a handheld!) and put some more effort to your new handheld console...

It's not like an LCD TV or a Monitor you just stare at: it's what you hold, so this is utterly annoying how the colors fade and the picture looks horrible sometimes...

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I agree, it's terrible especially if you turn the DSL 90 degrees to play games such as Hotel Dusk and it's really hurting my eyes because of the viewing angles.
I got used to it, but it's far from perfect.

SkH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Arm73 said:
I agree, it's terrible especially if you turn the DSL 90 degrees to play games such as Hotel Dusk and it's really hurting my eyes because of the viewing angles.
I got used to it, but it's far from perfect.
Oh yeah, those games... it's terrible! I haven't even finished Hotel Dusk because of that... it's so cheap on Nintendo's part, really. It's not something like an LCD TV what you put down and never touch it... AND those LCD TVs can be viewed at every angle without any terrible picture quality degration.

So, is the DSi's LCDs are the same, or not? It would be awesome if they would be better!

SkH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
sonic32136 said:
Well, they are LCD screens so yes the sceens do that but thar shouldnt effect you descion.
Yes it does because for me, that would be the only worthy upgrade, and if it's the same as the DS Lite, then I will not bother to buy that overpriced thing and then I will get a cheap DSL again...

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
The only thing I've heard about DSi that are worth mentioning are:

- Brighter screens
- Bigger screens
- USB support
- Camera

Since I ALWAYS play at the darkest setting and don't much like the convergence of a game machine and a camera, the DSi is pretty much useless to me.

I don't really see what's wrong with the viewing angle on DSL, really. I can see things just fine. Perhaps time to get a pair of glasses? T_T Really, if the viewing angle is so important to you and it was worse on the DSL, then why aren't you getting a first gen DS? Plus it's probably cheaper.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I noticed that, if anything, the colours on both screens are more similar than before. It used to be that one screen looked darker than the other, but I don't seem to have that problem with the DSi. One random thing to note, though, is that the DSi screen tends to have scanlines, sorta like the way the PSP 3000 does. It doesn't really bother me at all, but it's worth mentioning, seeing as how nobody else ever seems to.

SkH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Da-Bomb1 said:
Well, I noticed that, if anything, the colours on both screens are more similar than before. It used to be that one screen looked darker than the other, but I don't seem to have that problem with the DSi. One random thing to note, though, is that the DSi screen tends to have scanlines, sorta like the way the PSP 3000 does. It doesn't really bother me at all, but it's worth mentioning, seeing as how nobody else ever seems to.
Yeah, that's it... hm.... maybe it really have better screens? And about the scaliness... can you tell me more about it or can you make a video of it and the viewing angles?

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, there's one video on youtube that I found awhile ago that shows the scanlines, but they don't look quite so bad in real life. The video makes them look worse than they really are. And, well, I found that, when trading in Pokemon, the colour of the sky on the top and bottom screen is almost identical...while on other DSs, it's darker on one screen than the other. Dunno about the viewing angle though...but I haven't had any trouble with that.

SkH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Da-Bomb1 said:
Well, there's one video on youtube that I found awhile ago that shows the scanlines, but they don't look quite so bad in real life. The video makes them look worse than they really are. And, well, I found that, when trading in Pokemon, the colour of the sky on the top and bottom screen is almost identical...while on other DSs, it's darker on one screen than the other. Dunno about the viewing angle though...but I haven't had any trouble with that.
You just said that!

It's because of the viewing angles. Because the 2 LCDs aren't in the same height so you would only see one LCD perfect (or near perfect), while the other one would be without vibrant colors.

I had this problem too when I have played with Pokémon, as I said, I had to adjust the top LCD to be cool, but once I do that, the lower LCD will be horrible... I can't believe it, why Nintendo isn't made it with better LCDs/OLED! It's a handheld, with 2 LCDs!!!

Can you give me the YouTube link or embed it? It would be interesting, as I'm curious to see the scaliness. I have been thinking about that, too.

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the dsl's lcd's are terrible. My first ds lite was slightly damaged but the top screen would only work when it was leaned back a little bit. I had to buy a new dsl even though the dsi was just announced.

SkH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Da-Bomb1 said:
Here. In real life, though, they aren't quite so bad. It's never anything that takes away from the game.
Thanks the video, I can't really get much out of it due to its quality (blocky) but I think I just got it.

Can you make a video of the viewing angles?

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't really think videos can catch that properly...your best bet would just be to look for someone else with a DSi or something. I could try comparing the two directly and taking a picture, but even at that, it probably won't be a very accurate way to gauge the viewing angles...

SkH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Da-Bomb1 said:
Don't really think videos can catch that properly...your best bet would just be to look for someone else with a DSi or something. I could try comparing the two directly and taking a picture, but even at that, it probably won't be a very accurate way to gauge the viewing angles...
It would be still awesome, I think.

Until I can find a place to compare and test it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, AncientBoi be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLoR6H7GxQ