DSi Browser Exploit Found

1673367748386.png

Last night Nathan Farlow released "stylehax", a new exploit for the DSi which uses the web browser.

With the DSi web browser being on most DSi consoles, this will greatly benefit users who don't have Flipnote Studio installed and can't load the Memory Pit exploit due to broken cameras. View the source code for the exploit here: https://github.com/nathanfarlow/stylehax

In order to run the exploit just place "boot.nds" on the root on your SD card and then load http://stylehax.net/ in the browser*.

*note that it often freezes. The DS(i) Mode Hacking! server on discord has found that loading opera:about or http://google.com/ before stylehax will (usually) fix any freezing. Also remember to give it 30 or more seconds to load.

Last edited by rvtr,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK, sorry for being *that* kinda guy. I still have the manuals, and this speaks for itself. lol
No idea what this is supposed to mean, *that* kinda guy.
Taking out the manual is indeed a good idea and confirms what I said initially: The browser is NOT preinstalled on all DSi consoles. I could have thought of this earlier.

Thankfully my blurry memory of some non-XL models coming without the browser wasn't wrong after all.
DSi_Manual.jpg

Seems we Europeans are once again those who got treated unfairly. The manual of European DSi XL mentions the browser like on your picture (and it is on the units I got my hands on so far).

In any case this exploit is very, very useful as the majority of DSi seems to have access to the browser.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Compared to what? The ill-fated Sony Vita? Sure. Compared to the GBA, the 3DS or original DS? Not even in the same universe.
No, it wasn't 'compared' to anything... But if you have to compare it to something, use "the amount of people who currently own one on this site could be counted on a single hand", as referenced from the post they quoted for your comparrison.

I have two DSi's - one Euro, one Jap, both with Hiya/Unlaunch, but new exploits are always awesome.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not just WEP. My router is WPA2 and everything connects. There are probably more other than WEP and WPA2 that work, though idk.
IIRC DSi is WEP only in DS software, but WPA in DSi software.

You do not want WEP enabled on your router, although maybe nobody is bothering to drive by aircrack WEP routers these days.

My DSi is hacked though, but it's been stored away as I wasn't aware there was any new homebrew or reason to use it.

Reactions: SylverReZ and rvtr

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am genuinely curious why this wasn't up on the front page. This is a big thing.

That said, very few people owned a DSi. Still cool but... I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of people who currently own one on this site could be counted on a single hand.
A DSiXL with dual IPS panels is the single best way to play DS games on real hardware. I think you're underselling a bit.

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A DSiXL with dual IPS panels is the single best way to play DS games on real hardware. I think you're underselling a bit.
I couldn't agree more. I have a DS Phat, o3DS, n3DS XL and a 2DS and bought a DSi XL last year because of the screens. It is hands down the best way to play my DS games due to the lack of scaling, size and the quality of the screens.

Sk17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
No idea what this is supposed to mean, *that* kinda guy.
Taking out the manual is indeed a good idea and confirms what I said initially: The browser is NOT preinstalled on all DSi consoles. I could have thought of this earlier.

Thankfully my blurry memory of some non-XL models coming without the browser wasn't wrong after all.
View attachment 347078

Seems we Europeans are once again those who got treated unfairly. The manual of European DSi XL mentions the browser like on your picture (and it is on the units I got my hands on so far).

In any case this exploit is very, very useful as the majority of DSi seems to have access to the browser.
Yeah, you're right.

My guess is that the pre-installed internet browser depends on which System Menu version the DSi is shipped with. Mine remains the same as Day 1. 1.4.1U. Maybe that was just the exact version in which Nintendo started to include both the Internet Browser and the Nintendo DSi + Internet video. Although I'm not sure anymore.

But yeah, I first thought that the Internet Browser was included on all DSi systems, which was not the case.

I've checked the console box, and it says "2009 Nintendo". So maybe all US consoles came bundled with it?

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
OP
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
It could be all US consoles. All non-XL DSis I've seen here have had the browser included. Many didn't have data management enabled (meaning they didn't download from the shop).

Who knows though, just might not have seen the right ones lol

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you ever needed to remod a dsi and it did not come with a web browser is it possible to use a dsi web browser system file to install the web browser without a internet connection on the system?

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
OP
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you ever needed to remod a dsi and it did not come with a web browser is it possible to use a dsi web browser system file to install the web browser without a internet connection on the system?
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but
> "is it possible to use a dsi web browser system file..."
You're not gonna have web browser files if you don't have the web browser itself lol

VDDZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to play SNES games on my DSi (and ds games, but damn it I can't stand the ds Zelda's!) I have a flash kart, will this exploit allow me access to better SNES emulators than I currently have access too? Or better homebrew in general?

Reactions: rvtr

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a DSi XL that I use with Acekard 2i I don’t connect to the internet less it updates and blocks the card, if I used this method to mod my DSi XL will I still be able to use my Acekard 2i and what other benefits I can get? Keep in mind I already have a New 3DS XL that I modded and use Supercard DSTWO as well as Luma 3D.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a DSi XL that I use with Acekard 2i I don’t connect to the internet less it updates and blocks the card, if I used this method to mod my DSi XL will I still be able to use my Acekard 2i and what other benefits I can get? Keep in mind I already have a New 3DS XL that I modded and use Supercard DSTWO as well as Luma 3D.
Installing CFW on your DSi will bypass the cart blacklist.

Reactions: sonictopfan

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to play SNES games on my DSi (and ds games, but damn it I can't stand the ds Zelda's!) I have a flash kart, will this exploit allow me access to better SNES emulators than I currently have access too?
Not really, there aren't any "DSi-Enhanced" SNES emulators, unless you count the MegaMan X3 Zero Project branch of Coto's SNEmulDS Revival, which isn't supported on flashcards/DS.
Or better homebrew in general?
Some emulators and apps have improvements in DSi mode (better performance in @wavemotion's emulators/forks, higher ROM size limit in PicoDriveTWL, 60FPS video in FastVideoDSPlayer, modern WiFi support in a few apps), and there are some exclusive apps, such as Super Mario 64 DSi Port and dsidl.

Reactions: rvtr

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Some emulators and apps have improvements in DSi mode (better performance in @wavemotion's emulators/forks, higher ROM size limit in PicoDriveTWL, 60FPS video in FastVideoDSPlayer, modern WiFi support in a few apps), and there are some exclusive apps, such as Super Mario 64 DSi Port and dsidl.
Speaking of DS games with enhancement on Twilight Menu, while not a DSi Enhanced game but several years ago I noticed the opening cutscene to Sonic Rush Adventure runs slow and desyncs when using a flash card, I tested multiple brands all have the same issue, however using Twilight Menu it ran fine.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
This can be used to make dsi macro. Like, take a dsi with a broken screen and transform it to be like a gba using the bottom screen only

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y