Hacking DS Xtreme and Mac?

Melchizedek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My girlfriend wants to buy a flash card for her new DS Lite. I currently have the G6 Lite, but I believe it doesn't work on a Mac. The DS-X, however, seems to be compatible with Mac. I was just wondering if it works well, and if it can still be updated.

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
works as a regular USB device. no game manager necessary. the updates supposedly work, but they dont have the updater out for the mac yet. since im assuming you have a pc, you could update hers if it needs it, and just give it back to her. it only takes a few seconds to update.

its the only option for macs, and it really is the best option regardless (doubly so if your girl is not very computer inclined).

Melchizedek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's too complicated for my girlfriend... I believe I'll go with the DS-X, and install the updates from her old PC or mine.

Montero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I held out a long while waiting for the DS-X just because of the Mac compatibility and it is flawless. Probably even a little easier than on the PC since there you need to do that safety USB remove thingie. On the Mac you just hit Eject once you're done copying and backing up whatever it is you have on your DS-X. The only issue right now on the Mac is the lack of a Firmware update tool but a very reliable source says it is in the workings .
If you own a NDS the DS-X is the way to go and if you're on a Mac and own a NDS it's the only really good option. No more Virtual PC, booting in and out of the Windows partition or working with any other Win emulators/tools.

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I held out a long while waiting for the DS-X just because of the Mac compatibility and it is flawless. Probably even a little easier than on the PC since there you need to do that safety USB remove thingie. On the Mac you just hit Eject once you're done copying and backing up whatever it is you have on your DS-X. The only issue right now on the Mac is the lack of a Firmware update tool but a very reliable source says it is in the workings .
If you own a NDS the DS-X is the way to go and if you're on a Mac and own a NDS it's the only really good option. No more Virtual PC, booting in and out of the Windows partition or working with any other Win emulators/tools.

Easier than on a PC? do you even know how to use Windows? It's two mouse clicks vs. one at best.

I own a DS-X, and I've been waiting for the Firmware update for my Mac ever since 1.0.2 came out. I'm not holding my breath. Let's just say that outside of 1.0.2 (which came a freaking month after release AND broke Animal Crossing, still hasn't been fixed) there hasn't been much evidence in the way of support from that coveted DS-X team.

They've included a lot of interesting features, such as a programmable and skinnable OS, but haven't provided the tools or documentation to start development for their platform. They claimed widgets they said could be incoporated into the OS, but haven't even released a sample to give developers to work from. Hell, the FF and RW button on the MP3 player STILL aren't functional.

And don't even try to lighting a fire to generate interest or protesting their lack of support in their forums, they'll just post a snide reply threatening to ban you, and close the thread, so that they get the last word.

Montero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lawr: You need to calm down. "Probably a little easier... (as I wrote)" contains a lot of soft little conotations that I think you missed. Now go flex your muscles to someone else, I ain't impressed.
Now, yeah I updated to 1.0.2 on a PC. Given the millions of PCs out there I am sure you can find a way to actually do the update if you are so keen on moving to 1.0.2. But since it broke Animal Crossing, and Animal Crossing alone is worth your anger and forum-outrage I suggest you just buy it - especially if not being able to play it on the DS-X is enough for you to come on to forums and bark (and don't do the old, I can't afford sing and dance; make priorities - as I said, if it is enough to make you go into forum-outrage, buy it. Priorities.). BARK BARK.
About the MP3 support. Well, 512MB ain't much to play with when it comes to MP3s. Especially if you're gonna load it with a few .nds files. As a MP3 player the NDS ain't very impressive. The NDS is big... and the dancing leds of the DS-X alone ain't gonna light up a disco. To you the MP3 support might be one of the big selling points of the DS-X. To me it was gaming AND the Mac compatibility. None of the 2 has dissapointed me, yet. Now were the Mac Update tool show up and be useless I'd probably change my mind, but for now, it is fine. The drag and drop and no hassle with bloated software that patches etc is enough to make the DS-X a toprate product.

Noone in the DS-X team has ever been snide or acted up towards me. Why do you get the feeling they'd do it to you? Did you come off as being rude?

To sum up.
Yes, I can use Windows. Oh, wait you alrdy knew that since I did tell you I updated the firmware.

"1.0.2 sucks 'cause it broke AC". Buy the game - crying over a few games that won't work, games you steal, is petty. You're not petty are you?

"MP3 player on the DS-X sucks". Show me another 512MB MP3 player that can play .nds roms. Show me another 512MB MP3 player you'd rather own - and buy that. You might think MP3 is a HUGE deal. Power to you. I agree the MP3 part is poor but I use the DS-X for .nds files only and 512MB isn't exactly huge for that either. Is non-working FF and RW buttons really worth getting your panties all rolled up in a bunch?

"Their Forum policies sucks". To me they've been nothing but nice. Whatever did you do to make 'em wanna ban you - if it happened that is, you might be talking about "people"?

I apologize if I come off as being rude. I really do, but it is tiring to hear these impatient ramblings on how much the DS-X blows and how the support from the DS-X team is awful. You need to look at what you're getting. MP3 support makes it a legal MP3 device for the NDS. It is also a homebrew device. But you get more. And I bet many out there gets the DS-X because of that "more". It's not like you run crying to the guy you just stole a bike off just because the bike was broke. Patience.

Rabid1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And don't even try to lighting a fire to generate interest or protesting their lack of support in their forums, they'll just post a snide reply threatening to ban you, and close the thread, so that they get the last word.

As a mod on DS-Xtreme this is total BS. Odd coming from someone who never has had any kind of problems with a mod in any of his posts, except one where he was chastised about making a smartass comment when someone asked where to get the updater. A little harsh, maybe, but posting just to up your post count is no better. The only time anyone gets posts deleted is for breaking forum rules, period end of story. Yeah they are pretty strict but we don't make them, it's just the way the team wants it. As mods we have to abide by what the team sets as guidelines whether we agree with them or not.

And I agree with Montero, complaining about your stolen game not working is just silly, particularly when they are working to fix it.

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got mine today and I'm on a mac, easiest thing ever! Works on my ibook and my powermac. Ordered through foundmy.com and got two free gifts, good stuff! I also believe they still have some in stock as of today.

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Montero, you assume much about me and preach like your word is gospel.

1) I own Animal Crossing and have a backup ROM that I obtained through BT (which is still illegal, even with the recent DMCA exemptions made by congress). I have to swap the DS-X out if I want to play it. 1.0.2 BROKE it, simple and plain. It's THEIR fault. It's inconvenient, and it sucks, given that that is one of the product's key selling features. How you assumed I didn't or don't own Animal Crossing, I don't know. Shall I assume that you don't own ANY games at all?

"BARK BARK?" WTF is that?

2) To you the MP3 support might be one of the big selling points of the DS-X. To me it was gaming AND the Mac compatibility. None of the 2 has dissapointed me, yet.

Woooooooooooooow. Your opinion. Good for you! You're trying to address my situation with... your own personal opinion and content with the product? ROFL.

FF and RW matters, even if it doesn't to you. It's not a big deal when you're listening to 3-5min music tracks, but for Podcasts that range between 40-80 minutes (which are no larger than 20MB), it's huge. I don't understand how you can try to justify something that is their fault. "But... I don't don't use it, you should go buy an MP3 player (after I've finished buying Animal Crossing, right?)" -- something like that?

3) Now were the Mac Update tool show up and be useless I'd probably change my mind, but for now, it is fine. The drag and drop and no hassle with bloated software that patches etc is enough to make the DS-X a toprate product.

I agree.

4) It is tiring to hear these impatient ramblings on how much the DS-X blows and how the support from the DS-X team is awful.

It is? So you've heard this a lot? One wonders why...

Yes, the DS-X forums are lacking. They say they're community-based support, but they don't allow for civil discourse. Threads that give off negative vibes get closed at a seemingly random rate.

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As a mod on DS-Xtreme this is total BS.

*rolls eyes* So this is coming from a totally unbiased person.

Odd coming from someone who never has had any kind of problems with a mod in any of his posts, except one where he was chastised about making a smartass comment when someone asked where to get the updater.

Some idiot kid asked where the updater was going to be posted after tons of replies saying "It'll be up soon..." Where the hell does someone expect to find a software update OTHER than the product website? So I didn't feel like giving the same old "RTFA" reply. Bite me.

And I agree with Montero, complaining about your stolen game not working is just silly, particularly when they are working to fix it.

Ummm, I own the game. The fuck is it with you people? You don't like what I posted, so you just assume I STOLE the game? Maybe that says something about the both of you.

"particularly when they are working to fix it" - GOOD FOR THEM. Doesn't mean jack to the end consumer. Now how about delivering on those promises of customer support and all that marketing-speak, you know, once in a while.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ overly negative, cynical, and lots of attitude, but made some good points.
rofl2.gif

Rabid1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a mod on DS-Xtreme this is total BS.

*rolls eyes* So this is coming from a totally unbiased person.

Odd coming from someone who never has had any kind of problems with a mod in any of his posts, except one where he was chastised about making a smartass comment when someone asked where to get the updater.

Some idiot kid asked where the updater was going to be posted after tons of replies saying "It'll be up soon..." Where the hell does someone expect to find a software update OTHER than the product website? So I didn't feel like giving the same old "RTFA" reply. Bite me.

Ummm, I own the game. The fuck is it with you people? You don't like what I posted, so you just assume I STOLE the game? Maybe that says something about the both of you.Â

"particularly when they are working to fix it" - GOOD FOR THEM. Doesn't mean jack to the end consumer. Now how about delivering on those promises of customer support and all that marketing-speak, you know, once in a while.

Lol so your opinion isn't biased. I am not paid by DS-X and have no loyalty to them other than I agreed to help out on their forum. If I had a problem with the product I would say so in the public forum or would stop supporting the forum.

If you don't like the way someone posts, shut up, don't reply, nobody asked you. Nice calling somebody an idiot for asking a question. But your reponse above just shows you like to think of yourself as a witty internet badass. Why not just call him a "Stupid Noob", oh wait that would include you too wouldn't it?

And if working to fix a problem doesn't mean anything to the consumer, then maybe they should just stop, since it doesn't matter.

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
It seems to me like even existing customers aren't allowed to criticise the DS-X?

Lawr raised some valid points...what happens if their next update breaks some more working Roms? They're just not gonna bother fixing it on the grounds that their fanboys don't care?

Claiming that "you should just go out and buy the non-working Roms" is a joke. I use my flashcard (a kick ass EZ4 lite) to AVOID having to carry around a bunch of DS carts! (As well as playing MP3's, video's etc
wub.gif
)

As Lawr pointed out just because you're a thief doesn't mean that everyone else is.
nyanya.gif

Team DS-X need to get their asses in gear, plain and simple. Their shoddy support isn't going to win them any new customers.
lecture.gif

Anywayz the DS-X days are almost over...the new batch of MicroSD carts are going to walk all over it, and maybe that's why DS-X isn't bothered about supporting their product properly.

Enjoy your gaming.
yaynds.gif

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lol so your opinion isn't biased.

My opinion is one of a paying customer, so it's to my benefit that the forums do their job and that customer support is as good as it's touted to be in all their public statements and press releases.

If you don't like the way someone posts, shut up, don't reply, nobody asked you.

Wow. Can I quote you next time I see someone replying with a dissenting opinion on the DS-X forums? Thanks.

And if working to fix a problem doesn't mean anything to the consumer, then maybe they should just stop, since it doesn't matter.

Let me fill you in a little bit on customer service. When a consumer has a problem with a product that is clearly the fault of the manufacturer, the manufacturer OWES the consumer - simple and plain. Statements like "We're working to fix these problems" or any other excuse - at the end of the day don't mean jack to the consumer. They might inform that there might be a solution in the future, but in terms of rendering a solution for the customer, they are left with nada. The manufacturer can try to be nice and cuddly to make the consumer feel valued, but what really matter are RESULTS. That's why it's called customer service, not customer-to-be-serviced.

Montero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lawr.:
Internet forum badass. That's what someone called you. I donu about that but it seems like you are very interested in letting off steam in public. Get over it - move on and stop acting like you're the consumers saviour. Noone ever gets helped by impatient forum ramblings. When confronted with "badasses" like you companies tends to cover up. Luckily it seems the guys at DS-X are still "human" and not "corporate" so chances are they might actually be able to discern what's what around DS-X and not alienate themselves 'cause of "badasses". Constructive critism is a good thing. But what to me sounds like tired badmouthing only out to make witty points or to - what it seems - make a "internet forum badass" name for yourself is - again, to me - tiring.

Yup, you get itchy 'cause you think it sounds like I am preaching the gospel. If you read it carefully you can read that I am aware of what I posted as an answer to your post. Not only what I posted but in what way I wrote it. I even went so far as to apologize for coming off less friendly than I'd liked. Ever thought about your own posts? The tone you use?

1) I own Animal Crossing and have a backup ROM that I obtained through BT (which is still illegal, even with the recent DMCA exemptions made by congress). I have to swap the DS-X out if I want to play it. 1.0.2 BROKE it, simple and plain. It's THEIR fault. It's inconvenient, and it sucks, given that that is one of the product's key selling features. How you assumed I didn't or don't own Animal Crossing, I don't know. Shall I assume that you don't own ANY games at all?

This is funny. Of course I believe you when you say you own the game.
So one of the reasons you get your panties all rolled up in a bunch is that you can't deal with CHANGING cart? Ok. Gj. So you play your BT dl'ed backup from your DS-X and can't update to 1.0.2 'cause the 1.0.2 breaks AC? Ok. Well don't update then? It's their fault. But don't update. Do you own other games that you are too lazy to CHANGE carts for that you can't play in 1.0.1? I believe you. But is it really worth getting all riled up about? I am so curious about what other games you are missing out on playing on from the SAME cart that updating to 1.0.2 is a must.
And just out of curiousity... when did you move your game off your owned original cart to the DS-X in the first place? How did the move work in terms of Friend Codes etc. I am just curiuos. Did you keep your old Friend codes?

"BARK BARK?"Â WTF is that?
That's my rendition of you letting off steam. It's not the sound of a huge dog but the sound of, well, something angry. You sound angry and (I am not saying you are a dog) just like a dog you like hearing your own BARKS. That's what it was.

2)Â To you the MP3 support might be one of the big selling points of the DS-X. To me it was gaming AND the Mac compatibility. None of the 2 has dissapointed me, yet.Â

Woooooooooooooow. Your opinion. Good for you! You're trying to address my situation with... your own personal opinion and content with the product? ROFL.

FF and RW matters, even if it doesn't to you. It's not a big deal when you're listening to 3-5min music tracks, but for Podcasts that range between 40-80 minutes (which are no larger than 20MB), it's huge. I don't understand how you can try to justify something that is their fault. "But... I don't don't use it, you should go buy an MP3 player (after I've finished buying Animal Crossing, right?)" -- something like that?

Read the post again. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Cutting out bits and pieces and make a "ROFL"-turn doesn't change what I wrote. I was giving my personal views (of course) and I downplayed the MP3 functions of the DS-X that to me - considering the 512 MB and the size of the NDS - is useless. Personal views. Then I went on to write "Power to you" commenting on how important you think MP3 is; that meant that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I wrote that. Read it again and you'll get it. I agree, the MP3 functions sucks. Read that again. I agreed. It is not a big deal to me but it's a big deal to you. Power to you.

Here comes something new. Perhaps they'll improve it or... make a move in either direction to commodate others just like you that thinks MP3 functions of the DS-X is a huge deal. We can only speculate. But I think it will be done. Do you? If you do, do you think it will be done faster 'cause of CUSTOMER SERVICE ramblings here? Do you think it'll make it a High Priority?

But I have to ask again, Is the poor MP3 player really worth getting your panties all rolled up in a bunch? Right the fact that you can't play your backed up AC and the lack of FF and RW buttons in the MP3, is that worth getting your panties all rolled up in a bunch? Can't you show some patience? Not only will your health improve you'd save energy you could use on playing your backed up AC!

QUOTE(Lawr. @ Dec 13 2006, 12:58 PM)
4) It is tiring to hear these impatient ramblings on how much the DS-X blows and how the support from the DS-X team is awful.

It is? So you've heard this a lot? One wonders why...

It is heard a lot because there are a lot of ppl like you out there. Some kids. Others grownups. They thrive on spewing their critisms all over forums otherwise filled of creative, constructive members. I think it's tiring. And your "badass" attitude doesn't impress me at all. Go write some private letters of complaint to the DS-X team. I am SURE they will answer you very politely but these public CUSTOMER SERVICE MISSIONS are tired. All I hear is BARK BARK BARK. I guess the bark can mean a lot of things. Hello, Hello, Hello. Ho, Ho, Ho. Oh, whatever you choose but it is meant to call attention. Most of us likes the dogs that are helpful to us, that fetches the paper (uhm, maybe not) or leads blind people through life. the dogs that only sits around barking all day... well you get it.

My god this got long. Sry about that!
shy.gif

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Internet forum badass. That's what someone called you.

I didn't respond to that person who started that name calling bullshit, and I'm not going to dignify childish namecalling.

This is funny. Of course I believe you when you say you own the game.
So one of the reasons you get your panties all rolled up in a bunch is that you can't deal with CHANGING cart? Ok. Gj.

Yup. If you can't understand the convenience of keeping all your games on hand in one cart, especially when you're on the go, you know, travelling or on a commute, then I can't help you.

The trade-off of updating to 1.0.2 is simple. Transfer the saves from ALL my games to my M3 (which i no longer own) and play them on my DS-X, or lose functionality of 1 game (which I didn't know at the time), or start each game over from scratch (including Animal Crossing, if it 1.0.2 didn't break it). Easy decision.

Don't play Animal Crossing or any other games online. Can't help you with friend codes.

Here comes something new. Perhaps they'll improve it or... make a move in either direction to commodate others just like you that thinks MP3 functions of the DS-X is a huge deal. We can only speculate. But I think it will be done. Do you? If you do, do you think it will be done faster 'cause of CUSTOMER SERVICE ramblings here? Do you think it'll make it a High Priority?

When enough people cause a stir, they usually ellict a response. This goes back to my point about DS-X mods closing down any threads with negative commentary / things to say about the product. When you have a dedicated online community such as the one that supports the DS Flashcart industry, opening up dialogue is a GOOD thing. Like the blogosphere, online communities are self-correcting entities. That's not to say there signal:noise ratio drops - that's where moderating (should) come in.

Can't you show some patience? Not only will your health improve you'd save energy you could use on playing your backed up AC!

I don't know if you're trying to be funny, but 1.0.2 broke AC. Before that, it broke a bunch of saves on other games, and didn't allow the import of saves for any games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1