DS Trojan

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MegamanSPX, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MegamanSPX
    OP

MegamanSPX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2008
    Will my DS get bricked if I played a Trojan infected rom?

2. TLSpartan

TLSpartan Kills threads

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes

3. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    I have never heard of a Trojan infected rom.

The only time i've heard of a trojan on the DS is with NesDS and the rom called Trojan. I miss that game. :-\

4. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    There are two known trojens created to destroy the ds, both attempt to overwrite the ds firmware. If you have installed flashme on your ds, some recovery code is written in part of the protected area and provides access to some slot-2 cards to reinstall flashme. otherwize your ds can be bricked.

However, these trojans have not been seen in the wild and you have little to no chance of comming into contact with them. Nobody has infected any games with code like this, and i doubt they ever will.

5. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    Also, though, were those trojans actually in Roms? or were they homebrew that happened to release them? As far as i can remember, they were more or less bricker programs... not so much as Trojan-infected-Roms.

6. Doggy124

Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 14, 2007
    Thailand
    Thailand
    We won't know that until R4 1.19 came out, it said to brick the DS that use R4-clone.

or it might be in next big game from SE to punish pirate [​IMG]

7. MegamanSPX
    OP

MegamanSPX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2008
    My DS is not flashed, I'm just using a flash cart(DSTT to be exact), I'm just worried that some geek might post a trojan virus disguising as a rom.

8. jmr

jmr Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2008
    scroll down to darkfaders walware section & the trojans are there http://darkfader.net/ds/

9. Bri

Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 25, 2007
    United States
    You needn't be too concerned if you get your ROMs from an active site. If you're still concerned, use a program like Rominator which has a CRC checksum feature that you can use to help ensure that your ROMs are unmodified.

-Bri

10. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    Get your DS flashed if you're up for the risk. I flashed mine, technically the worst a virus can do to me is erase my microSD and temporarily brick my DS until I can boot a reflash of the firmware.

11. xJonny

xJonny ...

Aug 16, 2007
    As far as I know, the trojan didn't spread far and there is a VERY VERY VERY little chance of getting it.

12. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    And my NOD32 and Symantec AV Corporate both claim to detect it.

13. xJonny

xJonny ...

Aug 16, 2007
    If you're really concerned about it, check the filesum of everything you put on your flashcard...

14. TeenDev

TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

Apr 29, 2007
    United States
    I actually have both of them in a folder on my Linux drive.

15. GameSoul

GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

Mar 21, 2008
    United States
    Illinois
    what are you doing keeping viruses?

16. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    I have over 200 viruses in a folder. None anywhere else.

17. zektor

zektor GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 29, 2005
    United States
    Why don't you just use a trusted DAT (such as Advanscene) to check your rom's CRC integrity? That way you will ensure you will never get a rom that is not "clean"?

18. zidane_genome

zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

May 21, 2006
    United States
    wow... a trojan in a ROM... apparently you people don't know what a TROJAN virus is...

A trojan virus hijacks a system, and allows remote control of a terminal... the virus itself is not destructive, only the end user (or hacker).

A trojan virus alone cannot hurt ANYTHING. It just sits there, waiting for someone to connect to it to give commands.

Some of the early trojans were able to make screen shots, log keystrokes, copy files, and for fun, could send documents to your printer, and open and close the optical drive, among other things.

19. mothball

mothball Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2007
    United States
    No. Just no.