Is this program a virus?

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
VirusTotal of exe: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/095acbb840d4681276a790d70e89985ef0167ba135286e7c0d37fbd2a870b676

Looks pretty fine to me. The C source code is even included in the zip so you can look through it and see exactly what it's doing.
well i scanned the entire zip file
Post automatically merged:

VirusTotal of exe: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/095acbb840d4681276a790d70e89985ef0167ba135286e7c0d37fbd2a870b676

Looks pretty fine to me. The C source code is even included in the zip so you can look through it and see exactly what it's doing.
wait cylance says its unsafe

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This is just tool created to decompress and compress data from Final Fantasy 1 PSX.
I just took a look at the source code, and this is very simple stuff, and fine to use for what it was created for.
There is nothing that could be a threat in the code.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I was being a pedant I would have to note source code is not a compiled binary unless you repeated the process.

Anyway false positives happen all the time in ROM hacking, emulation, cheat making and flash cart circles.

Many tools are coded using rapid programming languages (visual basic being popular for much of the heyday, you only need the tool to work after all and if some scripting language can do it in minutes where some C coder is refactoring a table and contemplating inheritance because they made a wrong assumption 100 games earlier to ultimately accomplish the same task, albeit it takes 100 milliseconds to patch it rather than the 3 seconds of a clunky scripting language), are designed to edit other files, are possibly designed to edit other programs (possibly even running ones), sometimes are compressed, sometimes are encrypted...
To an overzealous anti virus heuristics scan, as often featured in unknown anti virus programs or ones that have since forgotten their history to make the scans that bit quicker, this is going to light it up like a Christmas tree -- rapid creation, infecting other files, protection against scanning tools via encryption and compression/packing...

Can't say there have never been viruses and such issues (gabsharky and mondayz, ds brickers, drama on game specific hacking forums where people did get their machines "ratted"*...) but it is super rare and romhacking.net does have a vested interest in keeping their stuff clean.

*seems to have dropped off again in popularity. Short for remote access tool aka in most cases you get someone to unknowingly install (mind helping me beta test this new version/fork) a VNC program (think teamviewer or anydesk but probably neither) or if slightly better then SSH.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo