DS Shell Replacement?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by drfsupercenter, Apr 6, 2009.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Hi,

I have a Nintendo DS, silver in color. It still works great, but my case is all worn to the point it's becoming annoying (the hinge is semi-broken, as well.)
    So I'm trying to find a replacement shell for it, but all I can find are these guides and links for the DS Lite.

DealExtreme had some different colored replacement cases, but none of them the official silver color. Anyone know where I can get the original silver color, so it doesn't LOOK like a replaced one?

And are there any guides for it? I took apart a DS once but could not figure out how to get the top screen apart, only the bottom half.

*Groans at how the inferior DS Lite is so much more popular*

2. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
  3. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Cool, thanks!

Do the replacement shells have the Nintendo sticker and a serial number on the back? Or am I supposed to peel those off my current one and stick them on there?

4. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    They come with the sticker.

5. striderx

striderx GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Of course you realize that the number on the sticker is meaningless, right? It's a dummy number provided simply to make the end product look legitimate. It has no meaning to Nintendo whatsoever.

It will fool your friends at Pokemon League. It won't fool a Nintendo service center.

FYI...

striderx

P.S. -- I've replaced shells on both a phat and a lite DS. Be prepared with tweezers, tri-wing driver and both Philips and straight jewelers screwdrivers. You can do it!

6. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Well obviously it's not a real serial number.

My DS has been out of warranty for over a year. So it's not like I'd need it for anything.
    But, if I wanted to get it fixed (not sure why, though), would Nintendo even take it? Or would I have to put on a REAL DS serial number sticker?

And I say "not sure why" as they will just sell remanufactured ones for $65. Repairs were starting at $50, last time I checked... I'd rather buy a whole new one [​IMG]