DS-Scene down? dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They stopped giving a damn about homebrew a long time ago and made themselves out to be a pseudo-rom site and even had clickable links with the rom archive name on there to attract visitors. When the commercial releases all but stopped, they ran out of anything interesting to talk about. It died.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I just like how they properly organise/archive the scene releases. Did not know that the archive name was clickable though.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
by that logic GBAtemp members are now immortal.

because they have no place to die.
What do you mean we're not? O___o

More on-topic though, is there any other site which has a proper list of scene dumps? The next best I could think of is the one we had before the shift to Xenforo.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Reliable site you have there. It says Donkey Kong Country 3D is 4GB, while it is in fact 2GB.
The people who dumped+scened it say it's a 32 gigabit cart.

im3n.png

Don't confuse the filesize of the ROM that sites are distributing with the physical cart's chip size.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Dang, I see. So you mean the other 1.85 GB are garbage, right?
That would most likely be the case yes.

Though it's worth keeping it in mind that they call it ROM size, not game size. They could just be referring to the size of the ROM chip itself.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Dang, I see. So you mean the other 1.85 GB are garbage, right?
Yes. For the DS ROM trimming just removes all the empty space at the end (since it's decrypted it's easy to find the padding since it's all one value) and depending on the game it could take up anywhere from 1-49% of the original dump's space.

I think one of the Zelda games for the DS was a good example. The US version fit on one size cart, but the EU one had multiple languages and went over the size limit and had to be on the next size up. And since these chips always seem to be made in powers of two, the next size up is double the previous size (which is why trimming can sometimes chop ~49% of the space off the ROM).

Reactions: WiiUBricker

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used to check that site daily for DS news. Now I go on temp since it's more active.
To be honest, the latest news on DS-Scene were mostly about some silly music albums, posted by Nathan.

But yeah, I guess retro just forgot to renew it (not that anyone has seen him much the last couple months, not even Triforce).

Reactions: EZ-Megaman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1