Gaming DS phat top shell replacement tutorial?

Skye07

OP
Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
The right hinge of my DS phat broke when it was in my jacket pocket and my jacket fell on the floor
frown.gif
I ordered a replacement shell from DX but I'm kinda anxious to open up my DS because I don't wanna break it.

Are there any good tutorials for replacing the top part of a ds phat? Videos or lotsa pictures would be very nice..

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Be really careful. The DS Phat is harder to shift around than the DS Lite, and the shells from DX tend to be a tight fit. Just be really careful with the ribbon cables.

Skye07

OP
Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm planning to to the replacement in the easter holidays (aka end of next week). I'll probably try to make as many pictures as possible as well for anyone else who wants to do this after me.

@ecewarrior_mk feel free to make that guide. Lots of guides I've seen always handle both top and bottom and they sometimes blend what you have to do for both but I'd rather stay away from the bottom half since that one isn't broken or anything. Nor is my LCD screen, just the hinge
frown.gif

ecewarrior_mk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
^
you cannot remove the topscreen without opening the bottom one, believe me.

You must unscrew a certain part of the hinge (and that requires opening the bottom) so that you can remove the mechanical parts inside the hinge (these are the components that 'click' whenever we open or close the DS). Anyways, that will also be covered in the guide.

ecewarrior_mk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all, I want to make things clear with a disclamer:
I won't be held responsible for any damages that will arise during and after the disassembly. However, the posted guide is the same procedure I used for several times I disassemble and replace my big 'ol PHAT DS's shell. Proceed ONLY when you know the RISKS.

Let's begin.

Note: contrary to what you insist, removing/replacing the topscreen shell REQUIRES dismantling the bottom shell. Just read below to understand the reason why.
You might found this guide not as comprehensive (or lacking) as other guide you already read. Use this as an another reference instead. I highly suggest doing the whole operation in a clean and dust-free area or working table and a container to keep the screws and other components.

I. What you need:

-triwing screw driver
you won't go far without using this rather rare screw driver (here atleast). Ordered mine on an online shop.

-precision screw drivers
might come handy when prying on some parts of the hardware

-permanent marker
to make things easier later (optional)

II. Disassembly

1. Begin with the top shell. Remove the 4 rubber thingies found near the top LCD. Lever it open using the thinnest and smallest precision screwdriver possible to uncover the hidden white triwing screws. Remove them with your triwing screw driver. Keep the screws for your future use.

2. Next flip your DS and unscrew and open the battery cover. Remove the battery to reveal another two black triwing screws. Remove the carts on both slots and proceed with the removal of all the screws at the back. IIRC, if you are facing the back of your DS with the SLOT-1 at the top and the battery cover on the right, there should be 2 screws at the left, 2 at the battery cover, 1 on the SLOT-2 and 2 on near the SLOT-1 and the area where you keep the stylus. Remove the cover and proceed.

3. Removing the mobo:
Now be careful on the succeeding procedures. As much as possible, do not touch any ICs on the motherboard because you might ruin your DS. Observe proper grounding.

a. Unclip the ribbon cables using your (thumb nail or whatever you like, but i suggest using a thin and flat precision SD) located near one of the shoulder buttons and the other one below. b. After doing the latter, you will reveal another two smaller ribbon cables carefully un-fasten the small gray plastic away from the slot.
c. Also carefully unplug the black-colored wire just near the slot-1.
d. Remove the 4 screws (3 which can be easily found, and the other 1 located near the SLOT-1 entry) on the motherboard and remove the mobo after. Watch out for the ribbons while doing this. If done correctly, the bottom screen and the gray rubbers that hold the buttons should be left behind.
e. Trace the end of the black wire (the one you unplugged earlier) or the ribbon cable and you should found a another white screw. Remove it with your precision screwdriver and remove the plastic on the opposite side of the hinge.
f. Before moving on, secure the bottom LCD with a tape so it won't fell off while doing the succeeding steps. Also remove the shoulder buttons carefully so you won't lose the springs.

4. Opening/removing the Top Shell:
The next procedure might damage the top shell because you might break the plastic locks that keep the top shell together. Proceed with caution.

a. Use the same precision screw driver you used on removing the rubber covers and unscrew the hidden white triwing screws.
Use a thin object (i used a knife) to pry open the top shell on the crevice found around the top shell. I suggest doing this at one of the side of the top screen (either left or right side near the speaker).
b. The cover with the 'Nintendo' logo should be removed by now. Do not unscrew anything yet, UNFOLD THE DS AND STOP AT THE FIRST 'CLICK'. Now look at the SIDE of your DS, specifically at BETWEEN THE TOP AND BOTTOM SHELL (the hinge) and you should find a white metal (that resembles a bolt and nut) hiding there. These are the components that 'click' whenever we open or close the DS.
As discussed earlier, you cannot remove these two and ultimately, remove and install a new topshell properly without extracting the part at 3e first (requires opening the bottom shell).
c. Before pushing, I highly suggest marking the now-exposed metal on either side of the hinge, say mark the top half (DO NOT MARK ALL THE AREA or it will be useless) of the metal hinge component so you'll know if you inserted it correctly when you install the new top shell
d. Maintaining the 'FIRST CLICK' position, push the two marked metal component TOWARD the hinge and it should easily slide and fell. Close the DS.
If the hinge is already broken like the same case of the link I POSTED EARLIER ABOVE (which you might consider visiting again), you must twist the metal end to its proper position so you can insert it easily when you assemble the shells with the new one.

e. Note: Check if the replacement shell IF IT WILL FIT on the old bottom shell or try the top shell we removed EARLIER WITH THE NINTENDO LOGO on the replacement shell. This is necessary because replacement shells had a very high tendency that it is not a perfect copy of the original one and in your case, you might experience difficulties on folding your DS because you'll be replacing the topshell solely. If it fits (topshell replacement to old bottom one), skip to e.11. Continue to e.01 if you decide to replace the whole thing because we already got this far.

e.01 Carefully close the DS. Secure the exposed topshell and proceed at the back of your DS. Carefully peel the FOAM that is sticked on the RIBBON CABLE at the bottom LCD so you won't rip the foam or the delicate ribbon itself. Remove the bottom LCD after. If you are done, proceed to the dangerous e.02.
e.02 We will now pull the ribbon from the bottom shell. Make sure that the components left at the top shell are properly secured. Removing or pulling the ribbon is a very dangerous procedure, be careful not to pull the ribbon too much. It requires you to move the end WITH PINS so it will fit on the small whole. Also pull out the black wire. Proceed to e.11.

e.11 Unscrew the PCB that covers the speakers. Remove the 2 speakers after.
e.12 Carefully pry open or lever the LCD that is sticked on the shell using the same prying object we used earlier. We just successfully removed the TOP SHELL.

5. Assembly: TOP SHELL

a. Stick the plastic cover to the new case's top shell LCD.
b. Stick and install the LCD to the front shell.
c. Insert the speakers on the slots and screw them securely.
d. Install the other half of the top shell, snap it securely (without breaking). Flip and proceed to the back of your DS.
e. Carefully insert the ribbon and the black cable back again to the NEW BOTTOM SHELL if you did steps e.01 and e.02.

6. Assembly: BOTTOM SHELL

a. If you did steps e.01 and e.02., return the BOTTOM LCD back to the new BOTTOM SHELL.
b. Open the DS assuming the 'FIRST CLICK' position. Insert the mechanical parts back to the hinge slots. If you marked it earlier, take it back where you exactly marked it.
c. Remember the part we removed from 3.d? Don't forget to screw it back.
d. check if the buttons if they are properly fitted.
e. Return the mobo. Insert the ribbon cables on of the BOTTOM LCD to the big hole on the mobo.
f. If everything is secured and properly installed, screw the mobo back (3 on the main, 1 near the slot 1).
g. CLIP the ribbon cables back PROPERLY(!!!!!!) because it might cause the LCDs to display distorted colors. I suggest CLEANING THE PINS before attatching them back (I used some piece of cottom wet with an alcohol).
h. Return the shoulder buttons back.
i. Make another check (i.e., the volume slider, the ribbons, etc). Return the other half of the bottom shell without screwing. At this point, you may try powering up your DS and check the whole system (using DiagnoSe) for any deviations. If you notice some differences (i.e., distorted color, sound, etc). Repeat checking.
j. Screw the other half of the bottom shell. Return the battery and finish the bottom. Almost done.

7. Finishing touches

a. Open the DS and screw the 4 holes with the same white screws you remove earlier as they are thinner than the supplied screws.
b. stick the rubber covers back.
c. Power up and configure your DS's settings again.

----Nothing follows----

heres the link for the pictures (low quality tho):
http://www.mediafire.com/?8vb7k8fc4yqybwt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1