Gaming DS Phat hinge/upper screen question.

FFdreamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I just got a DS Phat off ebay for my little sister, but before I give it to her I wanted to ask a question. I noticed the whole hinge/upper screen connecting part is a little loose, you can move the upper screen from left to right a little bit and vice versa with your hands or if you slightly tilt the console to the left/right. Is that normal for DS Phat hinges? My DSi upper screen doesn't do that, it only falls down a little bit if I tilt it towards me a little bit. The DS Phat does that, too... Granted, it's only a mm or two...

FFdreamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Noone?
frown.gif

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yep this is normal for DSPhats, at least for the ones I've come into contact with. I was a bit worried about it but yeah, as you say it's only a mm or two. Welcome to GBAtemp, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a DSPhat and mine definitely does not do that. I have replaced the case on mine though so possibly its just a bit tighter. Still it sounds like something in the hinge might be a bit loose. Not sure if you can get replacement DS hinge parts for the originals

FFdreamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Private|Parts said:
Yep this is normal for DSPhats, at least for the ones I've come into contact with. I was a bit worried about it but yeah, as you say it's only a mm or two. Welcome to GBAtemp, I hope you enjoy your stay!
I bought the adult preowned DS Phat and it's actually in pretty good condition for a 4-year-old console, light scratches only, I noticed that the screen is a little loose like that just yesterday when I was closing it and accidentally pulled it a little bit and noticed it moves. I doubt I broke it since I touch my consoles with great consideration and didn't feel anything crack or something like that. It just feels like the screws inside aren't screwed supertight so the screen kinda moves for a few mm forward (like the DSi) and left/right when you tilt the console or push the screen a little bit with your hand, no forceful pushing of course. Thanks for the welcome!:)

Jamstruth your replacement case is original or?

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've used my Phat for five years and yes, that's perfectly normal. However, I suggest you don't use the farthest-back hinge lock position. My sister would always put her top screen back all the way, and the left hinge broke.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
FFdreamer said:
Jamstruth your replacement case is original or?
3rd Party case. Its black. It was quite a tight fit in the hinger area (required some filing) but I have never noticed my screen sliding left or right when I tilt the console, even on my old, original Silver case.

FFdreamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
PeregrinFig said:
I've used my Phat for five years and yes, that's perfectly normal. However, I suggest you don't use the farthest-back hinge lock position. My sister would always put her top screen back all the way, and the left hinge broke.
Don't worry, I only use the first lock, I can play perfectly fine with it, never tried anything else on my DSi, either. But thanks for the advice!:)

FFdreamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Would it be possible to take it to a Nintendo service (there's one about 30 min away from my place) and ask them to screw it tighter or something? Althoug now it's 3-2 of you saying normal-not so normal XD... I'll probably just leave it alone, but if it can be tightened, it's no problem to take that 30 min trip...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo