DS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by darkhorse, Dec 29, 2008.

Dec 29, 2008

DS Lite by darkhorse at 6:37 AM (1,688 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. darkhorse
    OP

Newcomer darkhorse Newbie

United States
    Bought my daughter DS Lite for xmas and her cousins told her to get R4 but reading on posts here, I'm getting the impression that the thing to go is AceKard2.

Since i'll be relying mostly on your feedbacks what is my best choice?

2. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Stay away from the R4. It's way outdated and not even supported anymore (no more firmware updates). The best cheap cart is definitely the Acekard2. If you want one a little more expensive with some more features, the M3 DS Real is a great choice. If you want the best of the best and money isn't an issue, then the CycloDS is for you. Since it's just for your daughter though, I recommend the Acekard2. It's what my sister has and she loves it.

3. berkley

Newcomer berkley Advanced Member

Canada
    If your going to get one for your daughter I suggest a CycloDS really easy to set up, lots of firmware upgrades, and all game problems are fixed really quickly without need for patching...

4. darkhorse
    OP

United States
    checked dealxtr but they don't have, where to purchase CycloDS?

5. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If you feel that your daughter will use real-time game state dumping and that the option is worth the extra money, then get the CycloDS. You can get them at RealHotStuff: http://www.realhotstuff.com/-c-61_90_61.html

Otherwise, get an Acekard 2.1.

As Sportsmaniac1322 said, stay away from the R4.

-Bri

6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    www.realhotstuff.com
    www.dealwoot.com

Both are very reliable and well recommended sites.

7. morphius

Member morphius The King of the Cosmos

United States
    I live in the US and have purchased 6 CycloDS's (in the past year or so, they make great gifts...hehe) from http://realhotstuff.com They are based in NJ so shipping is pretty quick. I can't comment on any other cards besides the CycloDS, but it has never let me down. I often hear the term "expensive" used when it comes to the CycloDS, but that seems to come from kids with little pocket change (they want $1000 worth of games for $1) then want to complain when their cheap cards break or don't work. Right now RHS is running a special ... CycloDS Evolution + Kingston 4 GB microSD $57.00 ... that seams rather reasonable to me ... if that is too much then perhaps ...CycloDS Evolution + 2GB microSD Bundle
    [cy_evo] $50.00

8. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    I wouldn't get a CycloDS if it's just your daughter. CycloDS's are for people who love to have high end features. If she's going to just use it for games, just get an Acekard2. They're cheap and work great. My sister (age 12) loves hers!

9. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you may also want to check out the itouch too
    though, acekard is faster, the itouch has a slow menu

10. darkhorse
    OP

United States
    i'm ready to order at realhotstuff for the cycloDS + 4gb bundle but what's the EZV 3 in 1 Expansion Pack, do i need it?

11. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    you don't think his daughter deserves the best? children are the most important people in parents' lives.

ok lol jk

but really, I agree, unless your daughter is really into games and wants a lot of features in her cart i wouldn't get a $50 cyclo. just get her an ak2 that's $10 on dealextreme here:

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

they are awesome little carts that do everything a little girl would want a DS flash cart to do.

12. ryukyus

Member ryukyus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    dude r4 is dead, get an acekard2 because they still do updates for it , I have an r4, the reason I have it's because I bought it almost a year ago, if you are new to the scene, like someone pointed out stay away from it

13. darkhorse
    OP

United States
    she'll share it w/ my 4yr old son so i'm planning on downloading a lot of games. right now he has 30+ games on our hacked wii. i'm not concerned w/ price.

14. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    well if you're not considering price then you can get whatever you want but the acekard can do everything the cyclo can do bar the really fancy features. if you want slow motion, real time save, and all that fancy features then pay an extra $40 for the cyclo but if you just want to get basic, raw, simple game playing features for just $10 and save $40 then get the ak2. also, for a 4yr old, the cyclo might look really complicated and all the options might confuse a little kid and screw up some stuff but the AK2 is pretty simple when it comes to menu. however, if you want to occasionally use the cart yourself and you like to use the slow motion feature and all the cyclo features then by all means order the cyclo.

15. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The EZFlash 3-in-1 is required to play GBA games stored on your microSD card. It goes into slot 2 and has enough internal memory to hold one game. When you click on a .gba game in the CycloDS menu, it will load it to the EZFlash and you'll be able to play the game.

If your daughter doesn't care about GBA games and only wants to play NDS games, you don't need it.

Oh, the 3-in-1 also has two other uses. It works as extra memory needed to run the Opera browser (which sucks anyway so you probably won't want to use it). It also has a crappy rumble built in. The rumble will vibrate with certain games that support it. Rumble sounds a lot neater than it is in reality. There are only a few games that support it, it eats up battery, and the rumble on the EZFlash is really loud and not very "rumbly" (it's more of an annoying buzzing).

-Bri

16. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    I agree with golden 100%. You don't need to get her a Cyclo unless she knows what RTS is and in-game walkthroughs are. The Acekard2's GUI is very good and easy to understand (I think even more than the Cyclo). It'll play any games you throw at it very well and it handles SDHC cards. All this for just $10. Go with the Acekard2.

17. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    yeah i reccomend acekard2 but if you have lots of muneez [​IMG] then get her a cyclo