Gaming DS Lite - weird Touchscreen issue

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I bought a DS Lite off eBay recently and it has a really weird issue. The touch-screen generally works, I can use it in the DS Lite menu I can use it in games like Megaman Star Force no problem. The problem is, I can neither calibrate the touch-screen nor use it in any of the Pokémon games.

For the calibration the first touch doesn't register and I also can't cancel the calibration with the B button. The system isn't frozen as the clock is still animating but I have to shut the system off to get out of the menu. And any of the DS Pokémon games won't react to the touch-screen either despite it working in all other games I tried. It doesn't matter if I use my Acekard 2i or the proper cartridges. Does anyone have an idea what's going on here? o.o

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
?? Strange ??

Normally I would say "ghost input" (permanent touch input detected without actually touching anything). (3|2)DS(i) systems and the Wii U Gamepad behave erratically on ghost input from the touch panel (can't register more than one touch point at a time). Starting the calibration on DS Phat|Lite does what you said: Can't successfully touch the first marking and (B) does nothing.

But in the case of permanent input, the touch shouldn't work anywhere.

My normal procedure is:
  • Remove screen protector (if any)
  • If no success: Clean edges with a soft brush and look for dirt particles between frame and screen
  • If no success: Disconnect and reconnect touch panel
  • If still no success: Replace touch panel / try another one
I can't say I'd recommend replacement in this case because "working at some points" differs from my experiences. If you're confident that you can do it, it is nevertheless worth a shot.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: IC_

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
?? Strange ??

Normally I would say "ghost input" (permanent touch input detected without actually touching anything). (3|2)DS(i) systems and the Wii U Gamepad behave erratically on ghost input from the touch panel (can't register more than one touch point at a time). Starting the calibration on DS Phat|Lite does what you said: Can't successfully touch the first marking and (B) does nothing.

But in the case of permanent input, the touch shouldn't work anywhere.

My normal procedure is:
  • Remove screen protector (if any)
  • If no success: Clean edges with a soft brush and look for dirt particles between frame and screen
  • If no success: Disconnect and reconnect touch panel
  • If still no success: Replace touch panel / try another one
I can't say I'd recommend replacement in this case because "working at some points" differs from my experiences. If you're confident that you can do it, it is nevertheless worth a shot.

Hmm I see thanks for the tips! The system came without any screen-protector but I'll try the brush thing, it's really strange though. I can get more DS Lites for 20€ so buying replacement parts is more hassle than it's worth :P

Amez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If a touch screen has had too much pressure placed on it, they become stuck down in certain positions, this stops other buttons from working, disconnect the touch screen while leaving the bottom screen connected, power it up and if the buttons work the touch screen is the issue.

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If a touch screen has had too much pressure placed on it, they become stuck down in certain positions, this stops other buttons from working, disconnect the touch screen while leaving the bottom screen connected, power it up and if the buttons work the touch screen is the issue.

I really don't want to mess with DS Lite internals again but if I ever open the system up I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."