DS Lite Vs. DSi

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by WiiCube_2013, Aug 24, 2015.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Been playing Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans on my DSL and while I'm enjoying it it seems as though the buttons aren't too responsive, like, DSi has clicky ones and act instantly.

So all in all if I were a person that didn't care about the GBA port (which I don't even use) then the DSi is the ideal DS model to go for. DSi XL is probably the best one as you get a bigger screen and all (DSi normal model's screen is also a tad bigger than DSL).

Protective case + screen protectors + flashcart + 4GB card (or 8GB) and you're good to go.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  2. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Definitely. My dsi xl kicks ass!

Margen67 and HaloEffect17 like this.
  3. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    I picked a DSi over the DSi XL because I think the bigger screen makes the games a bit too pixelated. If your after DS games and don't give a shit about GBA then either of the DSi models are the way to go. GBA emulation on the DSTwo is good, but its not great.

4. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I went from DS Phat to original 3DS, so I have little experience with the DSi beyond working on a couple. I tried DS Lites before, I don't like the D-Pad or the ABXY buttons.

The 3DS with the Hori Grip Stand is the best feeling handheld I've had in a long time. Maybe even since the original GBA.

Last edited by TecXero, Aug 26, 2015
  5. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    Bullet Hell
    DS phat - I've got two of 'em, love 'em. They'll outlive all the DSL's and DSi's on the planet. Better build quality and far superior components.

6. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I love the phat, but I wouldn't agree with the quality and superior components part. I think the DS Lite has some poor design choices and I do prefer the phat, but phats almost feel more like a prototype. The housing is a bit rough lacking the usual durability expected from Nintendo, it has a front-light, and it has a couple of uncomfortable edges. Some of the internal components are also budget. It makes sense, though. Coming off of the gamecube Nintendo was hurting for something that was going to make money. Then again, I'm going off of my Phat which is one of the launch DSs.

The DS Lite was a more refined DS that I think was designed to target a more casual crowd that normally doesn't go for gaming, same as the Wii.

7. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I recall disliking the Original DS for its dark screen where Nintendo fixed it on DSL and DSi.

[​IMG]

8. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    Bullet Hell
    Both of my phats were launch day purchases, and still get semi-regular use now. They've both suffered through the ravages of time - one has even been dropped down a flight of concrete steps... the outcome of which was a crack to the housing that's barely noticable.
    Not one of the DSL's purchased by any of my family or friends over the same period of time is useable anymore. Bust hinges, dead touch screens, black upper screens, non-working buttons, etc...

I'll take a slightly dimmer screen on a product that will last in excess of a decade over a brighter screen on one that will more than likely die within half that time.

9. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    They probably didn't treat it with care so it's no surprise the DS Lite were broken in such a short time. All of my consoles are kept in pristine condition (the Wii U is just.. I've no word for it) and if handhelds, they'll have protective cases and screen protectors to avoid damage to them.

10. Megaben99

Megaben99 I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    Not sure about DSi, but DS Lite's battery life is out of control. Seems like you can play forever on one charge.

11. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    DSi is great too for battery. 9 hours+ for non-XL model on low brightness [i have lasted 9 hours on brightness 2, which is the perfect spot for me]

Megaben99 likes this.
  12. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    My old DS phat survived a few drops before I got rid of it for my DSi. My first DSi broke for no apparant reason. My second is still going, but I barely use it.