Gaming DS Lite vs DSi?

ieatpixels

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting a DS for the upcoming Black & White 2 (I've got a 3DS and previously owned a phat DS) but I'm not sure if I should go with DS Lite or DSi.
I've only just found out that the PSP 3000 has a much better screen than the PSP 2000, are the screens any different on the DS Lite/DSi?

I'm aware of the basic differences of the two, infrared, cameras, DSiware on the DSi and a GBA slot on the Lite.
but is there any small differences that I perhapes wouldn't be aware of? Such as battery life, button functionality and so on? (I don't care about the styluses)

I know the screen on the DS Lite was alot better than the original DS, so I wouldn't want an inferior screen again.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DSi has a larger screen than the Lite, though of course the DSi XL has the largest. The DSi has less battery life than the Lite, but the XL isn't as bad about that, beating the normal DSi.

While the DSi/XL have apps and an estore and cameras, most of it's pretty crappy compared to smartphones nowadays (though some of the eshop games are said to be good).

The DSi/XL lack a GBA slot though, and that's often a killer for people that want to play GBA games, though for Gen-V that won't matter since there's no linking either.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vote the DS lite for best of both. Battery life is superior, the screens are smaller but appear crisper to me vs the DSi. You can use the $2 R4 with the lite. Of course the Slot 2 is a great thing to have also. I can still buy DS lites new at my local target for $89. A thought on buttons, most like the clicky style of the DSi. I have no problem with the DS lite's tactile feedback similar to the Mirco and original GBA.

I-Fatman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My opinion DSi is just a way for nintendo to make money due to all the hacking. If you want a DS with eShop thingie just buy a 3DS.
Otherwise I think DS lite is better.

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He has mentioned that he already has a 3DS for use with the eShop, I-Fatman.

I would strongly go for the DSi because it is light enough to be held for long periods of time, doesn't have the hinge cracking problem of the Lite, and is a newer model so repair parts will be available for a longer time.
The clicky keys seem to be less problematic than the older style of the Lite and do not seem to be as affected by dust and dirt contamination like the Lite.
I have found that the external SD card is very handy for podcasts, lectures and audiobooks.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would strongly go for the DSi because it is light enough to be held for long periods of time, doesn't have the hinge cracking problem of the Lite, and is a newer model so repair parts will be available for a longer time.
The clicky keys seem to be less problematic than the older style of the Lite and do not seem to be as affected by dust and dirt contamination like the Lite.
I have found that the external SD card is very handy for podcasts, lectures and audiobooks.
I just read that the DSi may get a price cut May 20th to $99.

freaksloan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both a DS Lite and a DSi XL and I use the DSi XL almost a 100% of the time between the two of them. I also play the DSi XL more than I do my 3DS or my PSP 3000.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When I was buying my DS, the choice was clear - DS Lite > DSi. Native GBA support, no updates that could mess up flashcart support and a more affordable price.

Now... I think you should own both. The DS Lite for the GBA support, the DSi for DSiWare. That is, unless you're planning to get a DSTwo which has a relatively good GBA emulator as it is, thus defeats the purpose of having native support.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
i say DSi, i have one and it's awesome, if you want play gba, then buy a gba(i have a sp for that), the battery life is not a problem at least for me, anyways i almost always use the screens at bright level 1 and only when necessary bright level 2 and the battery lasts like 10 hours or something like that. the screens size does make a difference with the DS Lite, if you compare side to side you'll know what i mean, the DS Lite screens are over-saturated compared to the DSi screens(or at least the DS Lite of 2 of my friends are) and are less bright and there are good games in the store, Cave Story, Shantae, Mighty Milky Way, Mighty Flip Champs, Dark Void Zero and for a limited time was Zelda Four Swords.
for the other side the DS Lite isn't affected by updates so any cart work without problem and you need the slot2 or cart-hotswap(the DSi-XL-3DS cut the communications with the slot1 if you take out the cart) to extract saves from original carts.

edit: i forgot to name that the DS Lite of my friends have the hinge broken and 1 have some buttons worn-out, the A button looks like is always pressed and is about to happening to the B button also. the DSi have metal buttons(like a cellphone) and don't worn-out so easily and you can change the bright of the screen in-game by pressing select+volume buttons and the audio is better thanks to the revamped hardware.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'll go with the Lite. Native GBA BC, DS games, screen size is about the same as DSi.

The DSi has a crappy store, horrible camera and the (very little) extra processing power inside which isn't really utilized. If you want a DSi, might as well go for the DSi XL. The screens are nice but you won't have GBA BC. The battery lasts longer than the smaller DSi too.

If you do have extra cash, and you don't have GBA games, go for the DSi XL. The huge screens are really appealing. No kidding for this one.

EDIT: I realized that OP wants to play Pokemon Black 2/White 2. Well if you are getting the original copy, be minded that the games MIGHT be region locked on DSi/XL/3DS.

The Japanese BW had partial region lock, but the NA and EU ones do not.

DSi has less-glossy finish where as DS Lite has a more glossy finish.
Screen size of DSi has 3.25 inches DS Lite has 3 inches.
DSi has power button that is placed on the front of system where as in the DS lite power button placed on the side of system.
The DSi has built in 3 MP 2 cameras and DS lite has none.
Hohoho. The DSi has a 0.3 MP camera (front/rear), NOT 3.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
DSi (or 3DS) also has fewer language settings. Preventing certain DS games from accessing every mode they have. JPN model DSi/3DS is Japanese mode only. Non-JPN model DSi/3DS cannot be set to Japanese.

The main reason to get DSi today is if you strongly need WPA support for Pokemon Black/White.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Why do you need one if you have a 3ds?

1) It will be playable on 3DS anyway, all DS games are
2) If you play it on 3DS it will have "added, extra functionality" according to Nintendo at the E3 conference the other day.

Reactions: 1 person

linuxdude2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSi (or 3DS) also has fewer language settings. Preventing certain DS games from accessing every mode they have. JPN model DSi/3DS is Japanese mode only. Non-JPN model DSi/3DS cannot be set to Japanese.

The main reason to get DSi today is if you strongly need WPA support for Pokemon Black/White.
Correct
To put it simply
DSi's and 3DS's are region locked while the DS and DS Lite are not

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That's not really it, it's in those cases that the games themselves have been modified to not show the language options (opposed to removing all the language itself, back then when everything was in a single binary blob with no filesystem to speak of removing large parts of the ROM was sort of dangerous and needed a lot of testing, it was much less work to change a few functions to NOPs).

With the DSi/XL, it's that they have the hardware to do this stuff (WPA and a higher clock and such), whereas the original models don't.

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just read that the DSi may get a price cut May 20th to $99.
You were correct, the price did drop.
I like the DSi, not so crazy about the 3DS where it reports home when it finds an open WiFi connection.
After thinking hard about it picked up one of the last DSi at my local Target to have a spare for the future.
Thanks for letting me know about the price drop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Talk about propaganda.