DS Lite turns off by itself

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Kevs, Nov 18, 2008.

Nov 18, 2008

DS Lite turns off by itself by Kevs at 11:43 PM (2,170 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    The battery is fully charged
    I've had it since April 07
    Dropped it a few times on carpet

Didn't play it for about two months, one day when I played it the R button wasn't working properly and the DS would shut itself off for no reason sometimes, (screen goes black, light turns off), after a few seconds sometimes it restarts itself, sometimes it doesn't. If I use the power slider, I have to do it twice to turn it back on because it thinks the system is still on.

I fixed the R button responsiveness by using a Q-Tip and cotton ball to wipe under and around it, black screen problem persisted.

I took out the battery, it seems fine and put it back in, problem didn't show up again for about thirty minutes
    Happens at random times when I'm playing games, really annoying if I'm trying to play a game where I have to save. I've had it happen to me in the middle of Tetris or Pokemon games.
    My warranty is long gone and it costs so much to send to Nintendo to repair, does anyone have any idea what I can do/Have had this problem before?

Sometimes the system goes black and the light flashes green on and off, sometimes the light just turns off, sometimes it stays on

2. MirageStrike

Newcomer MirageStrike Member

United States
    I'm no expert at the inneer workings of the DS but i did gain some knowledge from swapping shells with my DS recently..

It would be that..

•One of your ribbon cables connecting to the motherboard was loose or damaged which can cause the DS to not respond.
    •Power switch is damaged.
    •Or in the worse case scenario, your motherboard was damaged (probably better off getting a new DS as a fix..).

3. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    Hm it stopped for two days after I was tapping the back of my ds near the power connector.

Most likely something in the circuit I would presume
    You think I should try to open it and see? It's getting really annoying when I'm trying to finish Chrono Trigger and it turns itself off when I'm deep in a dungeon about to reach a save point

75$ repair fee from nintendo worth it, or a new DS?

4. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    If I were you I would replace it yourself.

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    sounds to me like the screen ribbon cables have a problem.

you say "If I use the power slider, I have to do it twice to turn it back on because it thinks the system is still on." is the power LED still on then? if so it sounds like a screen problem

6. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    Hm I hit it a few times nad it was working fine for a few hours, battery was running out, so I plugged it in to charge, and when I did that about 30 seconds later it turned itself off

Maybe its actually a battery problem?

7. Hedgehogofchaos

Member Hedgehogofchaos GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If want a temperay fix for CT download the latest cheat database and use the save anywhere cheat. This is assuming you have a flashcart

8. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    I opened the DS up and I didn't see any visible signs of damage, so maybe it is battery?

So far for the past 15 minutes it hasn't turned itself off
    I've completed the game already just doing the additional content now, so don't think I'm going to bother getting the cheat

9. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    You mean you haven't tried a new one before opening your DS?!?!