DS Lite sound trouble

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by lukands, Jan 9, 2010.

Jan 9, 2010

DS Lite sound trouble by lukands at 7:36 PM (953 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. lukands
    OP

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    Started having trouble with the speaker sound, turns on and off whenever it feels like! Sometimes the sound fades in and out. I don`t think its something loose because this even happens when the console is perfectly still. The earphone jack works fine.
    Any ideas?

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
  3. Diosoth

Member Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Speakers dead, headphone jack not dead. The speakers themselves are going bad.

4. lukands
    OP

Estonia
    That would be logical. I tried to shake it, open/close screen, bang on it!!!, nothing is obvious. Its just a case of they work when they want to! (more often they don`t work)
    I thought if its the speakers its either the speakers work all the time or the speakers don`t work ever (no in between).
    I think I saw some replacement speakers on one of the Hong Kong sites (DX?), maybe I will give it a try. Wish me luck taking the DS apart.

5. Bently

Member Bently GBAtemp Fan

Canada

If you are going to order replacements from DX than you should be prepared to wait 3 weeks - 2 months for them to arrive and also
    opening up the DS is easy except for the ribbon cable where you should have metal tweezers, or pliers with no teeth. (It is ok if you bend
    the ribbon cable a bit [was a bit skeptical when i was replacing and thought i may have bricked it when i bent the ribbon cable, but it had worked])

Good luck [​IMG]. PS: Also follow a good guide (or 2 guides to be sure of what you are doing).

6. Diosoth

Member Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's possible to open the top flap without disassembling the rest of the unit but it may be easier to solder the speakers on if you do remove the screen. However, unless your soldering skills are quite good, you may be better off using headphones.

7. lukands
    OP

Estonia
    Not to worried about messing up trying to find the source of the problem, the DS is already a few years old anyway, so I will call it an experiment to test my skills?
    But if its a speaker problem, do both speakers fail at the same time?