pm_41

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
About a month ago, I tried installing FlashMe to my DS Lite. After about 15 minutes (it was stuck at 1%), it turned off on its own (don't know why). When I fired it back up, all I got was a white screen on both screens. I tried the START + SELECT method with no prevail...

...That is, until a few hours ago, when I was bored. I remembered it and thought "Maybe it just can't boot my flashcart because it has more than one NDS file...". So I popped in my copy of Diddy Kong Racing DS and tried the restore method. It turned on and the game loaded (with video problems on the top screen, but that's to be expected with no real firmware)!

So my question is this:

Is there a way to get the Datel Games n Music flash cart to autoboot to the FlashMe file and bypass that file browser (and even the startup logo that says "We are not endorsed by Nintendo" if possible)?

And if so, what's a good thing to use to short the SL1 contact?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like when you first tried to do the install, you didn't have the SL1 contact hit very well at all... on my phat DS I used a paper clip... but I had to scrape away the light plastic coding that was on top of it. Pain in the arse....

Anyways, I'm not really sure you can manage it with the datel games n music... sorry I couldn't be more help than that.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
try renaming it as bootme.nds. that'll make it autoload, but i dunno if thats good enough. should be though. if not, try and get a different flash cart

pm_41

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
try renaming it as bootme.nds. that'll make it autoload, but i dunno if thats good enough. should be though. if not, try and get a different flash cart
I'll try that when I get a new microSD reader later on this week (unless there is a way to revive the one that Datel provides).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does it boot at all when you have the games n music in and hold start and select? Splash screen or anything? If not, I'd say it looks bleak. Does anyone you know have a different flash cart, like an R4 or something? I mean, try the games n music first, but if it doesn't work, try and get a different flash cart. But you should definetly be able to revive the DS, because it can boot original games in recovery mode, so its not completey bricked.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the BIOS that you hotswap, not the wifi module, but yeah that's possible with DS Lites. Launch FlashMe on a working DSLite, swap the BIOS's, press XBXB to continue and make sure this FlashMe installation doesn't fail, then you've got two working BIOS's in the end, one of which is flashed.

pm_41

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
It's the BIOS that you hotswap, not the wifi module, but yeah that's possible with DS Lites. Launch FlashMe on a working DSLite, swap the BIOS's, press XBXB to continue and make sure this FlashMe installation doesn't fail, then you've got two working BIOS's in the end, one of which is flashed.
How the heck do I swap the BIOS? Sounds like some soldering is involved.

EDIT: Finally got a working microSD reader and renamed the file. Didn't work...
frown.gif

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pm_41 said:
I've done some thinking and I'm willing to let Nintendo fix it. How much $$$ (USA) will it cost?
possibly nothing if you tell a little white lie, and your ds is still under warranty .
call Nintendo and say something along the lines of "my ds was plugged into the was and the power went out and now it doesn't work properly".
they'll probably say to just send it and get it fix'd for free, also if you think you warranty might be up on it and haven't registered it with Club Nintendo then register it and it will have a free 90 days warranty period.
i just registered my ds i just bought used just in case, you never know when something could go wrong.

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't fix it unless they don't know what the problem is, in which case it could be around $70 for the repair

Why flashing it in the first place? All I can say is get a new ds or use a bios from a broken one someone has

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kirby145 said:
They won't fix it unless they don't know what the problem is, in which case it could be around $70 for the repair

Why flashing it in the first place? All I can say is get a new ds or use a bios from a broken one someone has
if they tell you to send it in, they will fix it.
all he has to say is it doesn't work correctly and the screen looks funny or something.
some people don't trust them self enough to open up there ds and someone else's to swap out bios.
nd if he opens it Nintendo really won't fix it for free if he messes it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment