Hacking DS Lite replacement mainboard

uber_gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,
I have been given a DS Lite that was dropped and now the top screen displays either multi-coloured fixed/flashing lines or a white screen, doing some searching indicates that the main board is damaged.
hate2.gif
->
nds.gif
->
cry.gif

Other than the faulty display the DS works fine (No cracked hinges or screens, touch screen still works, GBA and single screen games such a chess and tetris are totally playable, wifi works.)
I am reluctant to send the unit to Nintendo for repair due to the cost (and i would like to get self-satisfaction from repairing the device myself
biggrin.gif
.)
Does anyone know where i could get a replacement main board?
Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?
Should i just send the DS to Nintendo, any idea how much it would cost to repair (i am in UK and DS Light is under a year old)?
Thanks for your help.
-Ubergamer

roflmywaffle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd send it in for repair. I dropped my GBA SP 6 feet (within a year) and cracked the LCD screen; the impact point was pretty clear on the exterior. It was screaming to Nintendo, "Look at this moron, damaging his SP out of negligence!"

So, I called up Nintendo, and I told them the truth. The rep was like "We're not supposed to do that...but we'll repair it for free anyways. Please be more careful in the future. Oh, and if you have any other issues from a drop other than an LCD crack, just say it stopped working."

I'd try to get it repaired by Nintendo first. I dismantled a broken DS (hinges shot, touchscreen shot) and I was too reckless, I broke it.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
If it's under a year old, it should still be under warrenty, phone them up and see what they say, I doubt you could buy a replacement mainboard.

As long as you keep it ambigious and say you don't know how it's happened, they'll probably fix it for free, as long as you don't say that you actually dropped it.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Fixing things yourself can be very rewarding, but I think this time given the DS's age and the size of the component it's worth leaving it to them (and if they do it for free anyway then you lose nothing) For something as critical as the mainboard, even if Nintendo charge you for the repair it'll probably be cheaper than trying to source one yourself, and they might offer a warranty on the repair work in case anything goes wrong afterwards (I'm guessing, would have to look into that). And they'll be more helpful if the seal's still intact than if you're forced to send it to them as a last resort after attempting to fix it yourself.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Le youtube face.