DS Lite broken hinge repair question

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Midnight Tboy, Jun 24, 2010.

Jun 24, 2010
  1. Midnight Tboy
    OP

Member Midnight Tboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi all.

Ok so I've got a black DS Lite, and ages ago, the hinge on the black plastic snapped.

Wasn't a problem in itself...but now my son has broken the touch screen which basically doesnt work in the centre areas......so on ebay I've bought a replacement touch screen and replacement shell for the DS from china....figured I may aswell do the other while the thing is open and in bits.

Anyways.....I'm wondering.... do I actually need to buy the hinge and axle too? ( like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Repair-Part-Shell-AX...=item2ead50ebb9 )

Or are those only needed if they were lost in a previous bodged repair or something?

As far as can tell by looking at the DS its only the plastic thats cracked (right side of screen...so it lifts right out)....and not sure up until the point of getting it all in bits....but presumably the hinges/axels themselves dont become damaged?

cheers

2. gary2010

Member gary2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it should say if the casing includes the hinge, the 1 i baught off ebay included the hinge i got mine from somewhere in england for 12£ and it had the screw drivers i needed and the hinge and all screws need but i used my old hinge and screws.

check youtube for videos on how to strip ur ds and put it back together, and i would put some selotape on the volume and power slider to make sure they stay in place while puttin ght enew case on the power switch is very easy to snap as i snapped mine lol

3. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    See link for shoptemp in sig

i suggest u buy the Case and screwdriver and screen from there

there fast and efficient and its a very good price for the quality

i would say get from there

if you dont mind waiting a few weeks you can save money on delivery as well

pay the UPS delivery and you will see your package in 3 days (from own experinece having it sent to UK)

4. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    Well, I had a cracked hinge DS and the axle was not damaged, just the case above it. I would suggest taking apart your DS first and then checking to see if the axle is damaged and if so, then order a replacement.

5. Midnight Tboy
    OP

Member Midnight Tboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    thanks for the replies fellas.

The touch screen has come (pretty quickly) from china. Still waiting on the case itself however, though no rush.

I dont think the case comes with the hinges. It was only about £7.50 delivered if I remember right....but as far as I can tell from looking at the ds externally it looks like just the casing at fault

6. aphirst

Member aphirst "Aren't girls with pee-pees just men?"

Germany
    From my experience it's usually the case rather than the little metal hinges. I think you're on the right tracks, mate. Best of luck for the repair. [​IMG]