OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I was reading this article

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_...lease_id=167704

TN-286370__MG_1622fn.jpg

about a portable karaoke device and was thinking how perfect this would be for a DS homebrew app.

Seeing as how the DS already has a built in mic and headphone jack, you could easily turn the DS into a portable karaoke machine. Just hook in a pair of speakers to the headphone jack, perhaps some can hardmod the Nintendo DS headset with mic to accept a regular mic, and there you go. Make the homebrew able to play MP3's and allow user created lyrics to appear on screen. Get cracking coders!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
What function would the mic have? If you're thinking "portable kareoke machine" then the DS would be playing the MP3 backing track, so wouldn't be able to output what you're singing into the mic too
(unless the DS has multiple sound out channels, I don't really know how the hardware works). then there's the whole issue of copyrighted music, but I'll leave that one alone
wink.gif

Although if you're thinking something like the PS2 games where it analyses your voice and you get points based on how well you're singing then actually it's a pretty good idea
happy.gif
Beyond the capability of a homebrewer (cause of the complex sound analysis stuff) but a good idea nonetheless.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Afaik the DS already has Mic In functionality.

well duh, but if you're going to be reading lyrics from the screen, you probably don't want to be holding the ds right up to your face to use the mic.
You didn't get what I was trying to say. As far as I know those two contacts next to the headphone port are for connecting an external microphone. Usually it's a combined plug for both to connect a headset but you could probably hack it to be mic & speakers or just a mic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn