Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Apache Thunder do you have multiple cards? i think i unintentionally found a bug with a patched TWLBg.cxi

for the two i still have (i cant find wtf i did w/ my M3 ) but loading while theres in the /luma folder the twlbg.cxi, Touchscreen (not the display but the input) Breaks on an AceKard2i but not my R4i Gold 3DS Removing/renaming it fixes the dead input for the AK2i

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
got a little curious, DSi mode SD access is for the 3DS, (which we hope in time, will load ds backups of the sd)

could it, by any chance also allow (with the breakthroughs of information) for DSi unit itself to Load Games from the SD card?

I think in theory it would, since on a 3DS this would be happening outside of CTR so it basically is a DSi. In practice there might be quirks that prevent it from working even if it does work on the 3DS. They could probably be worked around but I don't know how many people still care about the DSi enough to do anything about it. I'm no expert though.

Actually, does the DSi have a separate NTR mode for running non-enhanced DS games? If it does that could be a problem, since this 3DS progress has been on the back of "being able to see TWL hardware from NTR mode" and I don't know if the same exploit would work on the DSi.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably, you'd have to fool Download Play and the DS to run unsigned code for the DS to read the cart, send the dump info to the 3DS and then have the 3DS write it to the SD. It would be very convoluted and very impractical.

Another way around it would be for a flashcart company to make a Slot-1-based card that can hold a GBA cart to read and write to the SD. Again, very convoluted and not very much interest.
their are ds download play homebrews already so how hard would it be to make a fake ds download play game and send it to another ds

Reactions: justinbug2

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
I think in theory it would, since on a 3DS this would be happening outside of CTR so it basically is a DSi. In practice there might be quirks that prevent it from working even if it does work on the 3DS. They could probably be worked around but I don't know how many people still care about the DSi enough to do anything about it. I'm no expert though.

Actually, does the DSi have a separate NTR mode for running non-enhanced DS games? If it does that could be a problem, since this 3DS progress has been on the back of "being able to see TWL hardware from NTR mode" and I don't know if the same exploit would work on the DSi.
Good input, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure apache thunder have some good insights regarding this, but I think he's busy with other devs making new ground on the TWL hack :)

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Good input, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure apache thunder have some good insights regarding this, but I think he's busy with other devs making new ground on the TWL hack :)
eh does the dsi have a soft mod though or other wise you would need a flash card to put the hacked twl on the nand

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I believe that the only way to get any kind of homebrew access on the DSi is through a flashcart or a hacked save, and one by one Nintendo blacklisted the known hacked saves. I have heard talk of a possible exploit involving an emulated Flipnote Hatena server that serves a malformed flipnote, causing a crash and then taking control, but it's still in the theory stages.

edit: I guess if I had looked up slightly I would have seen that there's still one that's not blacklisted :P

Last edited by undergroundmonorail,
Reactions: Deleted User

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hey guys!
So it'll be possible soon to load private backup from sd card? If I understand well some huge progresses were made recently?

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys!
So it'll be possible soon to load private backup from sd card? If I understand well some huge progresses were made recently?

The big thing is that they just figured out how to see hardware the DS didn't have from inside DS mode. The DS didn't have an SD card, but the DSi did, so they trick the DS mode into using some of the DSi mode hardware and ta-da! They can see the SD card. There's still quite a ways to go but for a long time it didn't even look possible.

how do theye make homebrew in dsi ware though i want other ds homebrews like ds craft

Reactions: Fatalanus

ecaep42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
their are ds download play homebrews already so how hard would it be to make a fake ds download play game and send it to another ds
I don't know, you'd need to connect both of them, have them confirm their connection, DS read the cart and send the information to DS#2 while DS#2 writes to the SD card. It's still a convoluted method, and buying/building a dumper would still be much better than download play. And I believe that Download Play for DS games won't work for this because only TWL got broken into enough for SD access.

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
only TWL got broken into enough for SD access.

TWL mode can see the SD card by default, because the DSi had an SD card. NTR mode can't see the SD card, but some clever people have figured out how to launch into a kind of "super" NTR mode, where you're in NTR mode but you have access to TWL hardware.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know, you'd need to connect both of them, have them confirm their connection, DS read the cart and send the information to DS#2 while DS#2 writes to the SD card. It's still a convoluted method, and buying/building a dumper would still be much better than download play.
Convoluted, yes. But isn't the ultimate goal of any homebrew community to maximise the potential of devices without additional hardware if possible? (One might count an original DS as "additional" - but far more people have one of them than a NTR flashcart, and they're kind of necessary for gen III Pokémon migration anyhow) Isn't that sort of thing why the developers are mucking around with enhanced nitro mode rather than just saying "buy a flashcart" then hopping off for a chocolate milk? Plus, flashcarts are contraband in some jurisdictions.

It's like with more traditional PCs - One system has a DVD drive, the other doesn't. Thankfully, smart people figured out protocols so that the one DVD drive can be networked to the other system, too.

Last edited by N7Kopper,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii