Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
It will run at full speed, i suppose. Because is using the original software/hardware

Gameplay will run at full speed, maybe better due to the TWL clockspeeds. However there's a lot of overhead associated with the patched card read functions so any time the game loads data from the card (read: SD) it'll take longer. You might also get slowdown if the game streams data continuously rather than using a loading screen, such as in GTA.

Reactions: d4mation

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
sonic rush will probs lag very bad with this i heard some one used a slow sd card in there flash card and the game has alot of card reads when your playing thew the courses ive heard this way of loading roms is 4 times slower then a flash card read speed

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Gameplay will run at full speed, maybe better due to the TWL clockspeeds. However there's a lot of overhead associated with the patched card read functions so any time the game loads data from the card (read: SD) it'll take longer. You might also get slowdown if the game streams data continuously rather than using a loading screen, such as in GTA.
Probably having a good SD will help, since it can either better than original DS carts

Reactions: FlappyFalco

FlappyFalco

Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It will run at full speed, i suppose. Because is using the original software/hardware

The problem is that it's loading into the RAM from an SD card and not a cart, which resulted in the TP demo trailer they got working being laggy. But apparently it'll only affect load times in the final release, thankfully.

Reactions: JoshuaDoes

Queen of SoS

Story of Seasons Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully i can wake up Christmas day and be able to play my old Rune Factory, Pokemon, and Harvest Moon
games without using my phone. That'll be a really good way to make my day better.

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't mind longer loading screens at all (my attention span is garbage enough that if a loading screen is more than a couple seconds I'll probably be looking at reddit on my phone anyway). There's at least one game I'm worried about because I don't know if it streams media or not, but either way this is a huge development that I'm super excited to play around with.
The problem is that it's loading into the RAM from an SD card and not a cart, which resulted in the TP demo trailer they got working being laggy. But apparently it'll only affect load times in the final release, thankfully.
My understanding is that things like the TP demo trailer are going to continue to be laggy in the public release. The issue is that there are two general ways to play media on the cart:
  • Show a loading screen, while that screen is up load the media into RAM. Then, start playing the media from RAM.
  • Start playing the media directly from the cart.
Since reading from the ROM will be unavoidably slower if it's on an SD card than a cartridge, getting the media data is going to be slow. In the first case, it will result in longer load times. In the second case, it will result in choppiness or lag because the read is happening while the data is being used.

Most things use the first method but things that use the second one are going to struggle.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country

The problem is that the arm7 has to handle data retrieval when usually the arm9 would be doing that job. Fast SD card or not, there's going to be a lot more latency involved.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
That's the second time you've double posted in the last 15 minutes. Just sayin'.

Well, if it's really done in a week, colour me impressed.
I thought GBATemp automatically merged double posts? Does it not work if using Tapatalk? O.o

EDIT: So it doesn't . Damn, that sucks. I've been freely posting and quoting multiple posts and all with Tapatalk separately all this time, didn't remember/realise that it didn't do it. Huh.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

Last edited by gnmmarechal,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought GBATemp automatically merged double posts? Does it not work if using Tapatalk? O.o

EDIT: So it doesn't . Damn, that sucks. I've been freely posting and quoting multiple posts and all with Tapatalk separately all this time, didn't remember/realise that it didn't do it. Huh.

That's why tapatalk is awesome :)

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
That's why tapatalk is awesome :)
Damn. It really is something that should work :/ it kind of is annoying since I got used to automerging x.x

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Just wait until the first alphas emerge with rom loading. It'll be a post a millisecond!
Fixed :P

On another note, I. Am. H y p e d. As. Shit.

I do have a flashcard though so not very concerned. Will there be advantages of SD loading over using flashcards? Like, I guess flashcards teams have mostly died, this being a semi-pubic effort would mean SD loading with forwarders could eventually surpass flashcards in compatibility and features?

Aksjsosjdi fine work, guys :3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1