Gaming DS Games..

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know where you got this crazy idea. If anything, most games use the buttons way more than they use the touch screen. If the buttons weren't on the DS, I would consider it the single worse video game system ever created.

My question to you is how many games use the touch screen exclusively or only use the buttons to a point where they could be easily removed from the system without really impacting the games?

I can think of only 10 games that would be even close to tolerable with the buttons taken off the DS. I'm sure there's a few more, but they're clearly in the vast minority.
Advanced Wars
Brain Age
Brain Age 2
Clubhouse Games
Cooking Mama
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2
Phoenix Wright
Wario Ware Touched
Yoshi Touch & Go

Most games that use the touch screen, however could easily have the touch screens removed and be just as good. They either don't use it at all or only use it from stuff like menu buttons, maps, or BS mini games. Some examples are:
Advance Wars (it's in both lists because touch screen and non touch screen play are just as good)
The Bleach Fighting games
Both Castlevanias
Jump Ultimate Stars
Kirby Squeak Squad
Konamy Classics Series
Naruto Ninja Council 3
New Super Mario Bros
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Mario Kart DS
Metroid Prime Pinball
Mega Man ZX
Sonic Rush
Pokemon
Tetris DS (The one touch screen game was BS)
TMNT Mutant Nightmare 3
Most other DS games

I would argue that almost every game makes extensive use of the buttons, but that a a decent number of games also use the touch screen in tandem with the buttons. In most DS games, the buttons are clearly more important than the touch screen elements, which is a world of difference from Nintendo adding buttons to the DS but not using them.

Ducky

QUACKJECTION!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
I don't know where you got this crazy idea. If anything, most games use the buttons way more than they use the touch screen. If the buttons weren't on the DS, I would consider it the single worse video game system ever created.

My question to you is how many games use the touch screen exclusively or only use the buttons to a point where they could be easily removed from the system without really impacting the games?

I can think of only 8 games I've played that would be even close to tolerable with the buttons taken off the DS. I'm sure there's a few more, but they're clearly in the vast minority.
Advanced Wars
Clubhouse Games
Cooking Mama
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2
Phoenix Wright
Wario Ware Touched
Yoshi Touch & Go

Most games that use the touch screen, however could easily have the touch screens removed and be just as good. They either don't use it at all or only use it from stuff like menu buttons, maps, or BS mini games. Some examples are:

1 Advance Wars (it's in both lists because touch screen and non touch screen play are just as good)
2 The Bleach Fighting games
3 Both Castlevanias
4 Jump Ultimate Stars
5 Kirby Squeak Squad
6 Konamy Classics Series
7 Naruto Ninja Council 3
8 New Super Mario Bros
9 Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
10 Mario Kart DS
11Metroid Prime Pinball
12 Mega Man ZX
13 Sonic Rush
Pokemon Uses touch screen alot
14 Tetris DS (The one touch screen game was BS)
15 TMNT Mutant Nightmare 3
Most other DS games

I would argue that almost every game makes extensive use of the buttons, but that a a decent number of games also use the touch screen in tandem with the buttons. In most DS games, the buttons are clearly more important than the touch screen elements, which is a world of difference from Nintendo adding buttons to the DS but not using them.

Like I said.. You only mentiond to give 15 .. and some of em were already mentiond.

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I can think of only 8 games I've played that would be even close to tolerable with the buttons taken off the DS. I'm sure there's a few more, but they're clearly in the vast minority.
Advanced Wars
Clubhouse Games
Cooking Mama
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2
Phoenix Wright
Wario Ware Touched
Yoshi Touch & Go

1 Advance Wars (it's in both lists because touch screen and non touch screen play are just as good)
3 Both Castlevanias
4 Jump Ultimate Stars
5 Kirby Squeak Squad
6 Konamy Classics Series
7 Naruto Ninja Council 3
8 New Super Mario Bros
10 Mario Kart DS
11Metroid Prime Pinball
12 Mega Man ZX
13 Sonic Rush
Most other DS games

Like I said.. You only mentiond to give 15 .. and some of em were already mentiond.
You 100% missed my point. You never argued that there weren't very many games that only used the buttons. You argued that most games don't need the buttons at all (IE not used). To quote "Did you notice nintendo added buttons to the DS but they don't use it?" For this to be true more than 50% would be fine without the buttons. I could only think of 10. How many can you think of? I'm sure there's more than 10, but I highly doubt it's most of the DS catalog.

Also, Pokemon doesn't use the touchscreen for anything important, but the buttons are crucial. That's my point. Take the buttons out and you can't even walk. Take the touch screen out and you can just use the buttons to navigate around the menus like I do. All you would lose is the digging underground thing. Big deal.

I don't want to start a flame war or anything and i'm not trying to rile you up. I just disagree with your argument. But in a friendly way.
smile.gif

Also, if what you meant was something like, developers seem to feel they need to put some kind of touchscreen technology into a lot of games that would be fine with 100% button control than I totally agree with you. It just sounded to me like you were saying touch is used more than buttons are used, when I've found the opposite to be true.

Ducky

QUACKJECTION!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland

Advanced Wars
Clubhouse Games
Cooking Mama
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2
Phoenix Wright
Wario Ware Touched
Yoshi Touch & Go

3 Both Castlevanias
4 Jump Ultimate Stars
5 Kirby Squeak Squad
6 Konamy Classics Series
7 Naruto Ninja Council 3
8 New Super Mario Bros
10 Mario Kart DS
11Metroid Prime Pinball
12 Mega Man ZX
13 Sonic Rush
Most other DS games

You 100% missed my point. You never argued that there weren't very many games that only used the buttons. You argued that most games don't need the buttons at all (IE not used). To quote "Did you notice nintendo added buttons to the DS but they don't use it?" For this to be true more than 50% would be fine without the buttons. I could only think of 10. How many can you think of? I'm sure there's more than 10, but I highly doubt it's most of the DS catalog. I'll refer to it as part 1

Also, Pokemon doesn't use the touchscreen for anything important, but the buttons are crucial. That's my point. Take the buttons out and you can't even walk. Take the touch screen out and you can just use the buttons to navigate around the menus like I do. All you would lose is the digging underground thing. Big deal.

I don't want to start a flame war or anything and i'm not trying to rile you up. I just disagree with your argument. But in a friendly way.
smile.gif

Also, if what you meant was something like, developers seem to feel they need to put some kind of touchscreen technology into a lot of games that would be fine with 100% button control than I totally agree with you. It just sounded to me like you were saying touch is used more than buttons are used, when I've found the opposite to be true. I'll refer to that as part 2

Part 1 - I'm terribly sorry for not writing my message right.. I fixed it on the first page , I meant that there are not enugh ..
And I also mentiond 15 games that use the buttons.. lets say yours are all games I haven't mentiond thats 31 games
Out of 1500 , Lets say some of the games are japanese and some are just same version but other content then it's
around 1000 , 31 games out of 1000 is really low..

Part 2 - I guess i'm wrong about the pokemon part ,
I don't want a flame war either , I just want a nice thread.. Thats just a discussion topic..
My point is , It seems like nintendo don't use the buttons and focus only on the touch screen , While they can make
alot of out of the buttons!!

QUOTE(dark_aura12 @ Oct 19 2007, 06:37 PM)
What is the point of this thread? DS has games that use touchpad, games that don't and games that use both. 'Nuff said.

Is it such a problem that I want a discussion? It's a forum ... WE NEED TO DISCUSS!

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
All three Tony Hawk's can easily do without the touchscreen, it's just a map and touch specials. (Which can be done the console ways, using button combos)

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I honestly believe that the DS does really cater for all in terms of controls. As I mentioned in my earlier post, touch screen controls are just heavily tacked on for a lot of games just for the sake of it. Probably in part, developers do it just to appease as many people as they can.

I suppose it can be said that the DS is a victim of it's own design at times because the vast majority of touch screen games enabled games, and I'm not talking about those that are dedicated to the control system, lack real ingenuity with their inclusion. The Wii has the same sort problem too. Most of the games with motion sensitivity could do without the implementation but if they don't include them, the owners would start to feel a bit gipped by it. Which tenuously brings me to the opinion I'm trying to state. I agree that there aren't that many truly dedicated d-pad and button games. Really we're mostly looking at 2D platformer games and beat em ups (and a few others) mainly as being the main carriers of that control scheme. The innovation is to blame but Nintendo always left that door open for developers and fans alike to have the good ol' traditional system that everyone knows and loves.

Credit and respect has to be given to the innovation of the touch screen and dual screens for gaming, although I can probably think of fewer games that use the 2 screens as well as the games that use the touch screen, as they stand as a real benchmark in video game innovation no matter how much of a bane it can be to us at times (yes, I did occasionally find the controls of Zelda annoying like many), they can make the experience of the game better too (as Zelda did ultimately feel for me in spite of those few issues.)

The new toy is what the majority wants so developers feel obliged to deliver. It's actually quite surprising that the d-pad and buttons get used at all for some games. At least the 'old school' isn't being completely overlooked as it can so easily have been.

Not saying anyone's opinion is right or wrong or anything. Just re-adding my opinion on the discussion in a more coherent fashion than I managed earlier while still bleary eyed.
smile.gif

pinoyxpryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to reiterate my last post, i acutally bought my DS for the soul purpose of playing EBA and ouendan 1 and 2. then i looked online one day and stumbled upon these cart thingies
tongue.gif

Ducky

QUACKJECTION!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
I honestly believe that the DS does really cater for all in terms of controls. As I mentioned in my earlier post, touch screen controls are just heavily tacked on for a lot of games just for the sake of it. Probably in part, developers do it just to appease as many people as they can.Â

I suppose it can be said that the DS is a victim of it's own design at times because the vast majority of touch screen games enabled games, and I'm not talking about those that are dedicated to the control system, lack real ingenuity with their inclusion. The Wii has the same sort problem too. Most of the games with motion sensitivity could do without the implementation but if they don't include them, the owners would start to feel a bit gipped by it. Which tenuously brings me to the opinion I'm trying to state. I agree that there aren't that many truly dedicated d-pad and button games. Really we're mostly looking at 2D platformer games and beat em ups (and a few others) mainly as being the main carriers of that control scheme. The innovation is to blame but Nintendo always left that door open for developers and fans alike to have the good ol' traditional system that everyone knows and loves.

Credit and respect has to be given to the innovation of the touch screen and dual screens for gaming, although I can probably think of fewer games that use the 2 screens as well as the games that use the touch screen, as they stand as a real benchmark in video game innovation no matter how much of a bane it can be to us at times (yes, I did occasionally find the controls of Zelda annoying like many), they can make the experience of the game better too (as Zelda did ultimately feel for me in spite of those few issues.)

The new toy is what the majority wants so developers feel obliged to deliver. It's actually quite surprising that the d-pad and buttons get used at all for some games. At least the 'old school' isn't being completely overlooked as it can so easily have been.

Not saying anyone's opinion is right or wrong or anything. Just re-adding my opinion on the discussion in a more coherent fashion than I managed earlier while still bleary eyed.
smile.gif

Added the marked spot to the possible reasons..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh sorry about that